Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE on PC Bad Company 2

DICE's Patrick Back discusses the PC edition of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 a few times in an interview on Gamasutra about the just-released military shooter sequel, where the senior producer on the Battlefield series talks about appealing to a PC audience he says "is much more forgiving in some ways, but they're much more demanding in other ways" compared with console gamers. He also explains how they didn't plan to release the first Bad Company for PCs because they thought it wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, who proceeded to ask for it: "We said, 'Well, we thought you wouldn't like it. We thought we had to scale it down or change it in different ways.' But when we released it, [the response] was actually, 'This is pretty good. This is a proper Battlefield game.' So, we just said, 'Let's go ahead and make this for PC, and focus on tuning it more to the PC audience and that kind of gameplay.' So there's more open gameplay, more detail in the shooting experience, and all of those things that the PC audience would like."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 17:23 xXBatmanXx

Best underused duo:

2 repair classes in a Choppa!

Friend and I can last whole round with maybe 1 death in chopper.
Go off to remote place to heal, strafe kill a bunch, if not being shot at, do it again, wash rinse repeat. Unstoppable.

There is my pro tip for the day.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 13:15 eRe4s3r

psssst! Don't tell them!

You have no idea how many kills i made in squad-dm just by tubing the *walls* the enemies are hiding behind. It just takes 50cm to 1m distance and you are safe. Wall-hugging is the assault classes "easy kill". ;p That, and people running straight (not zig-zag) and without cover over a street or through an alley not scanning the windows.

47. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 12:57 eRe4s3r

Verno, even better is that spotting is vital not only for your team, but for yourself, you can track enemies through walls and foliage (even smoke) with that, its amazing that so few people spot given that its basically a "free" wallhack.

But well, i have played against really good squad (rank 20~) guys and it was amazing, my squad and theirs basically employed house-by-house CQ tactics with proper grenades through windows first, then blowing the edge walls off and rushing in when they don't know what happened. At one point we basically just bombarded each others streets and lay waste to 4 buildings in the process....

Ah yes, squad DM is by far the best game-mode.. the amount of MW2 noobs is a blessing. If you have a good team where everyone spots everything they see its basically a default-win.

Gotta love noobs (when i stopped playing today i was place 10500 in the global leaderboards with k/d of 1.87 and rank 19, i would say i am fairly good but its just because i can't stop playing competitive, some people probably want to relax while playing so sorry to those ;p

But squad-dm already has good clans even in publics so maybe my view on weapon balance is off - i love the game though

46. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 12:30 xXBatmanXx

In other news, they need to fix the AT mine/MCOM thing because I spent all of last night doing that and while hilarious, it is really game breaking.

hehhehe

Yup. You can also throw them in the back of a Hummer and drive around.

You can do lots of crazy stuff, some of which I don't mention bc I don't know how fast they will turn it around. We mess around with friends on a server, but when in pubs I don't abuse that stuff - it just makes people rage quit - and that isn't fun.

/edit: But when used CORRECTLY against vehicles, there isn't much more satisfying than baiting a tank over an AT Mine. Also driving a tank into battle with C4 riddled, jump out, let them take it **BOOM!** Clears a squad pretty quickly.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 2010, 12:36.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

45. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 12:21 Verno

In other news, they need to fix the AT mine/MCOM thing because I spent all of last night doing that and while hilarious, it is really game breaking.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

44. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:34 xXBatmanXx

I just like talking about the game, so I am gonig to some more.

One of the most exciting parts of this game is when the enemy is engaging your squad, which they THINK includes you, and you come up behind and mow em down. Almost NO ONE uses the motion sensor ball and majority of people won't indicate enemy spots.....so it just becomes a fish in barrell situation. I get all giddy and will switch to the handgun and take down a squad from behind. If I run out of ammo, while my team is still shooting at them, I will take out the last person via knife.

So satisfying.

I like that you can be a certain class but not be tied to their weapons. They have a nice balance of weapons for each class. I am not a fan of sniping unless one is picking us off all the time, so I will use recon class with a shotgun or the thompson(can't recall).

It is good times. Good times in deed.

I am also a fan of (a LOT of poeple don't do this at all) picking up kits that you need at that very moment, then dropping them for my original. Can be a life saver, a game winner, and very helpful for your squad/team.

They did a good job of making this game a squad/team based, but it can still be pretty easy to take MCOM stations solo if you know how to defend one once you set a charge.

DAMN! I need to quit reading this thread.....it isn't helping that I can't play right now.

43. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:21 Verno

The 1911 is better than most of the ARs and LMGs Joe, you can't defend that. I mean it is literally better, google the weapon stats image chart. It has almost nil dropoff, kick and distance/damage is far too high. Yes it should kill in CQB but even most trained marksmen will have accuracy problems at 50 yards on the move with a 1911. 7 rounds with a very fast reload is not balanced by the way. It kills in 3 hits and if you run out of ammo you can switch to a fully automatic gun. It should never be a primary.

It needs a damage distance modifier at ~25 yards and accuracy modifiers for movement just for starters. The other pistols are nowhere near as good as it, that should be the first clue about it's balance problems.

42. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:15 JoeNapalm

No sorry Joe, Batman already touched on it but I'll back him up on the pistols being totally fucking OP. I can zip around with a pistol primary and even SNIPE with one. The damage to distance dropoff is almost negible and they have almost zero bullet drop to boot. If the pistols were decent at close range only then it would be a different story. The 1911 does something obscene like 40 damage per hit and does it out to something like 30-40 yards before damage finally starts dropping off.

I didn't know about the lack of drop - but then I tend not to take long-range shots with a sidearm. The 1911 should be a solid damage dealer out to about 50 yards...but I understand these maps are kinda cramped (by BF2 standards) so maybe bring that in a bit.

The 1911 should do a hefty amount per hit - it's a .45...and in terms of balance, you only get seven rounds.

If people are using it instead of an AR, because it's better, that's a problem...but you should be able to drop a dude with a pistol, especially a 1911 - it's a serious piece of hardware, and there's a reason that it's still in use a hundred years later.

I just don't want to see it be like BF2, where (unless you could pull off several headshots) you might as well be using harsh language.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

[EDIT - I don't, however, wanna see pistols be like the original R6, where I'd transition from some ARs to the H&K .45 because it had laser-like pinpoint accuracy to infinite range, with negligable recoil.]

41. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:13 Verno

I don't play Squad-DM so I have no idea, I only play CQ and Rush so far because it's the fastest way to unlock everything. Clan matches haven't really begun yet, everyone is essentially "pubbing" it but I see plenty of organized crews.

If theres one thing i agree with is that a good squad can dominate a server , but its not because of superior skill but because many bc2 players seem to come straight from MW2, and also the average skill level on publics is abysmal.

I love the MW2 kids, they are my favorite frags. You can easily spot them as Recon by their abysmal K/D ratio and low score from not spotting. I've tried explaining the Recon class to one of them but it falls on deaf ears. I racked up 4k points one round by only spotting and using mortars intelligently to help the team. MW2 kid doesn't get that mentality, he just wants to shoot everything that moves. It's a shame but pretty funny at the same time.

40. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 11:01 eRe4s3r

Well but the chances for such a squad to emerge on publics is pretty slim, heck you can insta-pwn any vehicle map with an engineer and a decent tank driver when they just work properly together.

Anyhow, m60 in conquest can be very imbala but in squad DM it isn't. Because rezzing is a disadvantage, if you die, its because the enemy team has spotted your hide-out and rushes it, you will want to change the location, not rez someone in the middle of a firefight (although the other squad will thank you, because rezzed people count as kill again ,p) its smarter to random spawn so that you might get lucky and spawn in their flank or back. Or sneak up on a sniper ,p

Anyhow i am mainly in squad-dm mind-set so maybe its true that its an issue in conquest and rush, where you have less hiding, cover, flanking and location choice. (Which is why i play squad-dm ,p)

If theres one thing i agree with is that a good squad can dominate a server , but its not because of superior skill but because many bc2 players seem to come straight from MW2, and also the average skill level on publics is abysmal.

39. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 10:19 Verno

You can basically use them like an assault rifle with a scope. Hell, you can use it like a sniper rifle that has a 100 round clip.  

38. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 10:14 InBlack

Compared to most Assault Rifles, machine-guns should be really overpowered. They are usually more precise (longer barrel, bigger caliber) and have better range. Obviously the drawback is that they are a bitch to lug arround and take a while to set up.

How is that handled in BC2? I mean if you can "use" the M60 the same way as an ordinary assault rifle with no penalties to movement and precision while on the move then that is indeed unrealistic and overpowered.

I have a nifty blue line!

37. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 10:12 Verno

The server problems have been annoying for sure but they are a bit overplayed in the US at least. I've been able to play almost whenever I wanted and I'm at something like level 17 doing 2ish hours a day. I think I've run into the EA online problems two total times. What's more annoying is a lot of the little client-side issues with the friends list, server browser and some unlocks not working correctly and so on. I'm not sure those will be patched up in a few months either, Dice typically takes awhile to patch stuff.  

36. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:58 InBlack

Im definitely buying this game. Im going to wait a month or so though until they iron out the kinks. Im tempted to buy it right away but I have so little time to devote to my gaming habbit these days that I cant afford not to give DA:O the time it deserves. (I know am WAAY too late on the bandwagon, but hey better late then never)  

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:57 Verno

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 8, 2010, 09:12:
Anyways yeah, Dice please get to nerfing on the M60 and pistols.

Dear lord, stop! No nerfs!

I haven't tried the M60, but the pistols actually feel pretty decent, for once!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

No sorry Joe, Batman already touched on it but I'll back him up on the pistols being totally fucking OP. I can zip around with a pistol primary and even SNIPE with one. The damage to distance dropoff is almost negible and they have almost zero bullet drop to boot. If the pistols were decent at close range only then it would be a different story. The 1911 does something obscene like 40 damage per hit and does it out to something like 30-40 yards before damage finally starts dropping off.

A single tube grenade and your m60 is silenced

Hard to tube when you're dead m60 + 4x scope basically assures you can engage at range before Assault can. In CQB it's always a tossup no matter what. The m60 is also highly spammable in CQB though. Honestly, people bitch about tubers but I have zero problems taking them out. My only complaint with "tubing" is that it props up some otherwise terrible players but an assault squad cannot just "tube" their way through a map against a competent team. The M60 on the other hand can make a good squad into a terrifying machine because 2 of them can usually rez the rest.

34. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:56 Frijoles

Anyone know if there's a way to view your stats offline (say in a browser)? The ea.com website bitches about my lack of a gamer tag via xbox/playstation. Not sure I was in the right place.  

33. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:38 xXBatmanXx

The problem with the 1911 is that it has zero to no drop off, you can snipe with it, no matter where you hit it is almost ALWAYS a kill. It is sad to see people just run around with it as priimary, which means sit is OP.

I have been using the 3 ronud burst M93r? handgun bc it is challenging to kill with it. My thought is that your backup is just that - a backup. It shouldn't kill so easily.

Anywhoo. Can't wait to get home, have 3 days off play til my eyes bleed!

My favorite tactic is shooting at people looking out windows and then shooting a grenade at the wall next to them (usually they just cover beneath or slightly next to the windows),

Yea, I learned REAL quick that you shoot from the middle of the room, not the window ledge. It also doesn't expose your gun to someone under you and only a small part is shown.

32. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:12 JoeNapalm

Dear lord, stop! No nerfs!

I haven't tried the M60, but the pistols actually feel pretty decent, for once!

I hate that, in most multiplayer FPS, you have to put 50 rounds into someone to slow them down.

If the M60 is OP, then fine...but the .45 feels great - I don't think they should mess with it at all. Yeah, it hits like a brick, but it's a .45, and it's only got seven rounds.

Anyway, good job DICE.

(Except for one glaring niggle...WTF with the lack of prone, people?!)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

31. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 09:05 eRe4s3r

A single tube grenade and your m60 is silenced I guess theres a difference though because i mainly played squad dm lately and there medics are just not so good.

In squad dm i play aug (or any other of the later assault rifles works too) + explosive mk2 + grenade loadout which is usually place 1 or 2 scorewise.

The m60 is good to pick off people that fell asleep or camp, but a moving squad with 2 or 3 assaults rips through a house in 5 seconds. 2 grenades + 4 tube grenades each and when you add explosive boost perk the fun begins I am guessing the m60 will be nerfed but its nowhere near as imbalanced as you make it sound. However, if theres a good squad with a medic and 3 assaults its nearly god-like.

My favorite tactic is shooting at people looking out windows and then shooting a grenade at the wall next to them (usually they just cover beneath or slightly next to the windows), with explosive perk its a 100% kill ;p And since assaults can re-arm their own grenades you can dish out a lot more damage than with a m60 (where you have to step out of cover to shoot)

30. Re: DICE on PC Bad Company 2 Mar 8, 2010, 08:50 Verno

It's strange because almost every other gun in the game is well balanced. I think the pistols need some damage nerfs but beyond that they all feel pretty good in terms of tradeoffs(damage for distance, accuracy for damage, etc). Then the M60 comes along and it's like having a fully automatic sniper rifle with a 100 round clip. The thing has enormous kick but once you learn to burst fire it you will be killing 4 people for every death. I had a 72-16 round on Isla Inocentes last night and still managed to net 3k points in revives.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo