Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Tonight we get to experience competitive art, as the Academy Awards will be handed out. I've only seen one of the movies nominated, so don't look for me to help with your Oscar pool. To be honest I probably wouldn't be much help with picking winners if I had seen all the nominees, but it also seems like this year there's an unusual consensus among the predictors over who will win what. I may watch this year, as Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are both very funny.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Boing Boing Video Game Quiz. 80%.
SteerWheels.
Circles and Squares.
Links: loonyboi's 2010 Oscar Picks.
Honest Movie Titles: Oscars 2010.
Coffee-Powered "Carpuccino" Infuriates Car Lovers, Coffee Lovers, Pun Lovers.
Stories: Armed Robbers Storm Poker Tournament on Live TV. Thanks Raw Story.
Sumo wrestler 'steals cash machine from Moscow shop. Thanks Joker961 via Slashdot.
Oscar Rodriguez- 'Hero Boy' From Arizona Bus Crash Praised By Paramedics.
Science: Top US home-school texts dismiss evolution.
Media: A Trailer for Every Academy Award Winning Movie Ever. Thanks Digg.
Angry Video Game Nerd: Pong Consoles. NSFW.
Doritos Tablet. Thanks Digg.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2010, 06:15 InBlack

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 7, 2010, 17:54:
From the trailer alone, I would give it to Hurt Locker. Having actually watched the move on Blu-Ray now, even with this making me go to hell, I feel the film has some main flaw that Avatar does of "I've seen this movie before."

It's still a damn good movie, but it didn't strike me with any type of profound message as it was a combination of various other films I've seen, even if just bits and pieces from various other films. War is bad? War is cruel? War changes people? Innocent people get hurt? It takes a certain type? America has a fascination with war? The current Iraq/Afghanistan wars are convoluted in many ways? I've been there and done that.

Stepping back and removing the "originality" columns from both films, I actually do find myself leaning towards Avatar being a better film for what it achieves on a cumulative basis (story, fantasy, 3D effects, etc.) In a lot of ways, I think Hurt Locker maintains a more even line whereas Avatar has lower lows, but higher highs.

From there, I just think of what film surprised me more or pushed more boundaries and I find myself settling on Avatar. I fully conceed it has flaws and it most definitely is not a film for everybody, but I feel it did more. Of course, I am heavily biased by my preconceptions - I expected a bit more from The Hurt Locker when initially sold on its trailier and I was pleasantly surprised that Avatar played significantly better than the trailiers implied it would.

Even with the above, I am fine with The Hurt Locker winning, but I think it really speaks to what somebody is looking for. I think that film was very good and signifanctly more consistent on a technical basis. Other than lacking in argument or emotion, I cannot list any significant flaws with the film. Lastly, I seem to be completely dismissing the decade long development of Avatar coupled with its gigantic budget. The whole "comparison" may be invalid solely due to this aspect.

I would only personally give the nod to Avatar because it pushed more boundaries, offered up more new ideas, and showed me a world that I found to be much more new and unique.
And no doubt it speaks to each person's personal beliefs, too.
Wondering how this same market ever spawned the Transformer movies ,
Ray

What Ray said. Exactly, word for word. Objectively Hurt Locker is the better film, if for any other reason then its contemporary issues. Its also the finest anti-war film of the past couple of decades, even though it feels like a propaganda movie at times its message is very clear and powerful and unfortunately very very sad.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2010, 04:29 osage no onna

80% as well, missed 4, 10 and 15.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2010, 03:34 Hoop

Classical Painting was a competion to get the church to part with some of its vast wealth.  

Um .. Behind you...

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 8, 2010, 00:51 bcanceldirt

Best picture is obviously Black Dynamite.

Pretty much, this.

"First lady, I'm sorry I pimp slapped you into that china cabinet."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 19:35 PHJF

Best picture is obviously Black Dynamite.

Anyone saying otherwise has no soul.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 19:31 Dr. D. Schreber

Even with the above, I am fine with The Hurt Locker winning, but I think it really speaks to what somebody is looking for.

While I obviously favor Hurt Locker myself, my comment wasn't so much about comparing the films as de-bullshittifying the Academy Awards, where obvious bias to cookie-cutter, unintelligent films has reigned supreme for years; Avatar simply fits the bill of a shoe-in for best picture, it just so happens that, for some reason, perhaps an act of divine intervention, there was apparently behind-the-scenes brouhaha/drama over which of these two films should get it when anyone that follows the nonsense with objectivity over the years would say you could make easy money betting on Avatar. The idea that something unexpected might actually take the little statue is near earth-shattering.

It's still a damn good movie, but it didn't strike me with any type of profound message as it was a combination of various other films I've seen, even if just bits and pieces from various other films. War is bad? War is cruel? War changes people? Innocent people get hurt? It takes a certain type? America has a fascination with war? The current Iraq/Afghanistan wars are convoluted in many ways? I've been there and done that.

I would argue that Hurt Locker isn't a re-tread simply because it's the first movie to do all of these things set in the modern day, like Generation Kill (also a well-made success) did for TV. "War on terror" as a genre has mostly been a flop, largely because the usual conventions of modern-day film and TV simply don't mesh well with it. "In the Valley of Elah" bombed because Clint Eastwood's usually enjoyable presence on-screen was bizarre and out of place. "Stop Loss" had all the trademarks of the simple-minded movie (not necessarily the stupid kind like I railed about above, just not particularly layered) that usually does well: clearly sympathetic protagonist, being frank about moral grey areas in the issues at hand, etc, and it bombed.

Hurt Locker is the Saving Private Ryan of its setting, perhaps even better because SPR, though a far cry from the John Wayne era of glamorizing war, still hammed it up more than Hurt Locker does.

War stories are always an endless repeat of cliches, the good ones just use them better.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 19:04 Cutter

Well, maybe with the tech side of things, art, costume etc., but for best actor/actress etc. it's all politics.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 17:56 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Mar 7, 2010, 14:19:
I don't see how anyone gives a crap about the Oscars, or any other award show for that matter, with the possible exception of the Viewer's Choice Awards. Like it's not enough these guys are famous and have way too much money for what they do, there needs to be several events a year to praise them on top of that? Pfft.

I never watch the show, but I can see the need for it (in a way).

Companies, even entire industries, have awards. What department showed the most growth, what department made the most advances, who made the most sales, etc.

People's Choice is great, but so is intra-industry acknowledgment by your peers.

And since it's so high-profile it becomes publicized.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 17:54 Ray Marden

From the trailer alone, I would give it to Hurt Locker. Having actually watched the move on Blu-Ray now, even with this making me go to hell, I feel the film has some main flaw that Avatar does of "I've seen this movie before."

Stepping back and removing the "originality" columns from both films, I actually do find myself leaning towards Avatar being a better film for what it achieves on a cumulative basis (story, fantasy, 3D effects, etc.) In a lot of ways, I think Hurt Locker maintains a more even line whereas Avatar has lower lows, but higher highs.

From there, I just think of what film surprised me more or pushed more boundaries and I find myself settling on Avatar. I fully conceed it has flaws and it most definitely is not a film for everybody, but I feel it did more. Of course, I am heavily biased by my preconceptions - I expected a bit more from The Hurt Locker when initially sold on its trailier and I was pleasantly surprised that Avatar played significantly better than the trailiers implied it would.

Even with the above, I am fine with The Hurt Locker winning, but I think it really speaks to what somebody is looking for. I think that film was very good and signifanctly more consistent on a technical basis. Other than lacking in argument or emotion, I cannot list any significant flaws with the film. Lastly, I seem to be completely dismissing the decade long development of Avatar coupled with its gigantic budget. The whole "comparison" may be invalid solely due to this aspect.

I would only personally give the nod to Avatar because it pushed more boundaries, offered up more new ideas, and showed me a world that I found to be much more new and unique.
And no doubt it speaks to each person's personal beliefs, too.
Wondering how this same market ever spawned the Transformer movies ,
Ray

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 2010, 19:36.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 17:15 Pankin

Acleacius wrote on Mar 7, 2010, 16:55:
I don't know if it will win I hope it does, Hurt Locker is amazing at humanizing the Iraqis and the US soldiers.

I couldn't believe it when some US troops started posting crap about the movie, saying it wasn't realistic, right it was just a damn good movie. Of course it comes to light the complainers were part of the christian militia types in the military who have been running ruffshot over nonreligious and other religious faiths during, Torture Years.

What a bunch of bitches, Kathryn Bigelow kicks ass, ever seen Near Dark?

Nuf said. Karate

The word is roughshod. And I'm in agreement with you.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 16:59 nin

86%, missed 4 and 10...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 16:55 Acleacius

I don't know if it will win I hope it does, Hurt Locker is amazing at humanizing the Iraqis and the US soldiers.

I couldn't believe it when some US troops started posting crap about the movie, saying it wasn't realistic, right it was just a damn good movie. Of course it comes to light the complainers were part of the christian militia types in the military who have been running ruffshot over nonreligious and other religious faiths during, Torture Years.

What a bunch of bitches, Kathryn Bigelow kicks ass, ever seen Near Dark?

Nuf said. Karate

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 16:06 Dr. D. Schreber

If Hurt Locker actually wins out over Avatar for Best Picture by some random act of chaos turning the most biased, unfair panel of judges in anything ever to somehow vote for quality instead of the obvious inane Oscar-bait, I might just think the Academy Awards has a purpose other than rewarding derivative crap.  

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2010, 14:19 Cutter

I don't see how anyone gives a crap about the Oscars, or any other award show for that matter, with the possible exception of the Viewer's Choice Awards. Like it's not enough these guys are famous and have way too much money for what they do, there needs to be several events a year to praise them on top of that? Pfft.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo