Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Speedier BC2 Server Browsing

The Electronic Arts UK Forums offer tips on speeding up server browsing for Battlefield: Bad Company 2, DICE's military shooter sequel (thanks Voodoo Extreme). The post follows.

To help speed up your server browsing these tips can help you get results quicker.

• Use Favourites/History when possible

If you use the server browser then

Use the server browser
When it starts to search click CANCEL

Select the options:

• Ranked
  • Not Full
  • Not Empty
  • No Password
  • Leave Punkbuster checked
  • Hit Refresh

You can use your friends list in game to connect on them without accessing the server browser.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 17:29 ASeven

Me, I think that DICE didn't expect so many PC gamers to buy the game and invested everything on the Xbox/PS3 side of things, leaving the PC gamers hanging dry. Which is why everyone is still having tons of difficulties according to the forums.

Guess this is a good/bad situation. Good because PC gamers seem to still buy a game in enough numbers to really make an impact on the servers, bad because it seems DICE didn't care for the PC at all to be so badly prepared for the launch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 16:13 MUGWUMP

Things are different now than 10 years ago. The majority have broadband connections and there are a lot more people playing online. We used to ping servers directly. If we did that now it would kill the servers.

There's still no excuse for the piss poor server browser in the game though.

21. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 16:13 MUGWUMP

Things are different now than 10 years ago. The majority have broadband connections and there are a lot more people playing online. We used to ping servers directly. If we did that now it would kill the servers.

There's still no excuse for the piss poor server browser in the game though.

20. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 15:49 Ravor

It's funny that Quake 3 like 10 years ago now could make a server list that basically reloaded in 10 seconds with 3-5k servers and this game almost a decade later cant even come fucking close.

Dice as usual disappoints.

19. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 14:03 xXBatmanXx

They are complaining bc they can do what they need to? Kind of dumb.

Oh well. I admin a server, and we have been able to kick/ban, witch games types on the fly, reload, etc. Everything is REALLY FAST.

I can't believe BF2 takes so damn long to load a game, and this game loads in a few seconds. Crazy. Time between rounds is suprisingly fast!

You have to also understand all of Europe jumped on yesterday, so the servers are getting hammered. I heard there was even mention of EA contacting their third parties and asking not to release more servers, as the main server for listing is having a hard time keeping up.

I see this as a good thing. Short term annoyance for something we have been starving for (as someone mentioned).

Take it is stride folks. Game is only 4 days old.
The content and fun are far superior to any shooter that is being played right now for multiplayer. Any fan of the CoD games should be all over this, it has CoD + vehicles. Looks a lot like CoD, plays like BF2.

Awesome.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 13:59 Dirtyallen

at least you can log in. I havent been able to play multiplayer since thursday night...

I just keep getting the message could not connect to ea servers.

it's bush league.

17. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 12:53 ASeven

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 10:40:
We shouldn't complain so much though, they are giving us a lot more than other recent games. (yes you MW2)

You do realize that there are now server admins complaining very loudly on the forums that the only options of a server admin for BC2 is kick/ban, map rotation and nothing more, all this on a rented server? Doesn't seem like a dedicated server to me, more like a pseudo-server.

16. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 12:50 MTechnik

PRO TIP: If you know a friend is in the game, but isn't showing in your friends list (because things seem a little overloaded) you can still click on them to join on them.

Yes, it works even though it is broken. We need more programming like this.

15. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 12:16 Tom

Ok I take it back, the friends list is not properly showing friends as in-game sometimes.  

14. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 12:06 ColoradoHoudini

Right this second i am attempting to bring up the server list, but the connection drops.
i log in no problem, logged in last night fine..
right now, nopers, can't. Nothing has changed on my end, no firewall issues, nada.

This browser is god fucking awful...too bad too, the game is pretty damn good.

13. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:47 Tom

Haven't needed the server browser once so far. Usually I join on a friend, otherwise I use the Play Now button - which works fine. Occasionally it'll put me on an undesirable server, in which case I disconnect and try again. Never takes more than 2 or 3 attempts and it loads really fast.

So yeah, it'd be nice if they'd make the server browser usable, but the game doesn't NEED it so I can see why it's been low priority.

12. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:08 RTSNut

What is truly idiotic is that these things should have been defaults already. We should be way beyond archaic server browsing at this point, and quick match not taking ping into account is simply foolish.  

11. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:07 Hump

theres a piece over at Kotaku that says the the numbers of BC2 players playing the PC version online is more than the 360 and PS3 put together.

no doubt the BF community was starving for new content.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

10. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 11:04 Bucky

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 10:40:
Wow, all the rage. Zero problems here.

/edit Now the FRIENDS list, that is a whole new thread. I can't join games from friends list, I have to look what server they are on then go find that server and jump in. There have been lots of mini updates, and each one fixes 1 feature of the browser then breaks another.

We shouldn't complain so much though, they are giving us a lot more than other recent games. (yes you MW2)

I rage because it's such a good game. I'm having more fun in multiplayer than I've had in years, but only when I can get into a good server. I know the problems will get addressed, and I know things are worse in other games. The fact is, I want to play the game, so I'd like it if the obstructions were removed.

9. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 10:40 xXBatmanXx

Wow, all the rage. Zero problems here.

/edit Now the FRIENDS list, that is a whole new thread. I can't join games from friends list, I have to look what server they are on then go find that server and jump in. There have been lots of mini updates, and each one fixes 1 feature of the browser then breaks another.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 10:06 wrlwnd

Too many moron developers any more. I could program a good server browser in my sleep.  

7. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 09:05 LittleMe

Loving the game but yeah the server browser is fail. It should be made so that the update doesn't lock up the computer and smoothly updates the screen as it gets ping results. Also it should be able to be canceled at any time. It has console written all over it.

It's like all the PC game UI programmers have disappeared, replaced by console zombies.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 09:04 Hump

Its weird but only one or two servers come up in my server browser.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 08:25 bobbyweenus

I can't believe these 'tips' made Blues News. All they're telling you to do is narrow down the search via filters so you're effectively bringing up less servers. That's like saying "want to run distances faster? make the distance shorter!"

Thanks a lot EA... FOR NOTHING.

4. Re: Speedier BC2 Server Browsing Mar 6, 2010, 07:13 Bucky

Hell, I can't even get pings to work for me. Running the .exe right from the game directory as admin doesn't work, either. The server browser needs serious work, and it needs it fast.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo