Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak?

The description of just-announced Portal 2 on Gamestop.com's Portal 2 Page has been edited, but previously contained word on a two-player co-op mode. Here's the way the description read before word on co-op was edited out:

Coming this holiday. Portal 2 is the sequel to 2007's Game of the Year and draws from the award-winning formula of innovative game play, story, and music that earned the original over 70 industry accolades. Features single and multiplayer co-op modes. The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game. The game's two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 18:14 bigspender

i'm guessing that player 1 will have the blue portal gun, and player 2 will have the orange portal gun. so each one can only fire a different end of the portal.

hence the co-op

i think that will be awesome

WTB!

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 16:54 Sty

I'm all for more co-op, not enough of it IMHO. Definite buy for me.  

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

20. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 06:04 DG

Could be great

On the other hand they could throw too much at it, overcomplicate and obfuscate the simple brilliance of the original.

I'm not sure there's much that could be improved on IMHO, though I don't mean to sound pessimistic - there's so much room to do worse and yet still have a superb game.

19. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 02:13 derelict koan

I'd say they just thought it would be fun  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

18. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 02:06 Mcboinkens

Hoop wrote on Mar 6, 2010, 01:06:
Valve is supporting co-op... I will support Valve.
At last these major companies are supporting the desire by gamers for lan co-op. There were a few lean years there not long ago where it looked like the PC was being abandoned, I was ready to give up on another PC upgrade.
I guess steam has given developers and publishers alike more control of their product to where they want to invest fully.

Not to be a party pooper, but I think their primary objective in introducing co-op is aimed at the console audience.

17. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 01:59 Prez

They absolutley HAVE to get the same lady to voice GLaDOS.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 01:06 Hoop

Valve is supporting co-op... I will support Valve.
At last these major companies are supporting the desire by gamers for lan co-op. There were a few lean years there not long ago where it looked like the PC was being abandoned, I was ready to give up on another PC upgrade.
I guess steam has given developers and publishers alike more control of their product to where they want to invest fully.

Um .. Behind you...

15. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 6, 2010, 00:35 Jerykk

I'd much rather see competitive multiplayer instead of co-op. Can you imagine how crazy that would be? It would be like Quake on crack.  

14. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 23:58 xXBatmanXx

HOLY CRAP SOME OF THE RADIOS ARE HARD TO GET!

That is all.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 21:56 PropheT

Pankin wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 21:22:
The solution to this is so simple, it may have gone completely unnoticed: Don't play it in co-op mode.

Wow, was that ever easy!

I was pretty simply commenting on my opinion on the inclusion of co-op in the game. I'm not sure how that warrants full bore asshat mode, but whatever floats your boat.

Not every game needs multiplayer, and never once during the original Portal did I ever get the impression that it would have been better co-op.

12. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 21:33 The Half Elf

No shit Sherlock ya think? But honestly when was the last co-op puzzle game? Trine, and before that Uru the Myst game?

And while I'm all for a new Portal game, co-op (as a separate campaign or not just wouldn't seem like a thing to add.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

11. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 21:22 Pankin

PropheT wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 20:21:
The Half Elf wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 20:04:
I dunno, while co-op is a nice feature, I really enjoyed Portal being a single player experience.

Me too. I'm kind of meh on the co-op... that doesn't strike me as appealing for a puzzle game, since you have play at the other person's pace. They're either going to be going too slow or too fast for you and making the whole thing frustrating.

The solution to this is so simple, it may have gone completely unnoticed: Don't play it in co-op mode.

Wow, was that ever easy!

10. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 21:12 Bill Borre

But is there cake?  

9. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 20:31 [THA] Hamst3r

PropheT wrote on Mar 5, 2010, 20:21:
Me too. I'm kind of meh on the co-op... that doesn't strike me as appealing for a puzzle game, since you have play at the other person's pace. They're either going to be going too slow or too fast for you and making the whole thing frustrating.

It could work out. Just make sure you and your friend have headsets so you can communicate properly and co-op Portal sounds like it would be hilarious fun.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

8. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 20:21 PropheT

I dunno, while co-op is a nice feature, I really enjoyed Portal being a single player experience.

7. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 20:21 Flipper405

It says the co-op would be an entirely separate campaign.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the co-op.

6. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 20:19 Drayth

"I HATE companion cubes!"  

5. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 20:04 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 19:53 FLY

"This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively."

Brilliant. Now wait until you hear about HL3...

3. Re: Portal 2 Co-op Details Leak? Mar 5, 2010, 19:26 Dev

nice!  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo