Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced

Square Enix Europe's Crystal Dynamics announce Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, a new installment in the Tomb Raider series (which is apparently becoming the Lara Croft series), planned for release through digital distribution later this year. This comes quite quickly after word to eventually expect more news on the future of the series. The Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Website is online, though it only offers newsletter signups at the moment. We attempted to pry loose details on target platforms and whether this is coming to the PC, but were told that the scant details in this announcement are all they are revealing at this time. "This is a really exciting project for Crystal Dynamics, we have created something completely new and very different to what people might be expecting," said Darrell Gallagher, General Manager of Crystal Dynamics. "Lara Croft is such an iconic character in videogames, with Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light we have created what we believe is a truly original digital experience." They say the project will be shown off "strictly" behind closed doors at the Game Developers Conference beginning on March 9.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 6, 2010, 02:26 Jerykk

Prince of Persia did the platforming and puzzles better.

That's highly debatable. I thought the last few TR games had some great puzzles and platforming (Anniversary especially). And with the last PoP's decline into streamlined trash, now would be the best time for TR to return.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 5, 2010, 12:11 Zyrxil

The problem is, they're out of ideas. Prince of Persia did the platforming and puzzles better. Uncharted did the other stuff better. They have nothing left except the brand name.  

11. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 5, 2010, 02:52 Jerykk

I pray that they don't give in and turn Tomb Raider into a straightforward shooter like Uncharted. Too many series have succumbed to the mass appeal of shooting stuff. Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon... let's hope Tomb Raider isn't next.

If anything, I think they should just remove combat entirely. The TR games have never had good combat and I don't think they need combat at all. The focus should be on puzzles and platforming. This isn't to say there can't be enemies. However, you should have to use the environment to deal with these enemies. If you're getting chased by a Siberian tiger, you should run to a slippery cliff edge, jump off and use your platforming skills to survive while the tiger falls into the abyss. Platformers are all about the environment so why not make this an instrumental part of enemy encounters?

10. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 5, 2010, 02:11 Shadowcat

I would guess that the name change is because (1) the games are not so much about Tomb Raiding any more, (2) the name "Lara Croft" is probably slightly better-known than "Tomb Raider" among the non-gamer populace, and (3) Tomb Raider was always an Indiana Jones rip-off, and this naming schemes better matches those films (especially since they renamed "Raiders").  

9. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 19:15 Jedi Master

Actually, my money is on "L".  

8. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 17:40 Sepharo

Zyrxil wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 11:24:
The guy who came up with that name? Fire him. From a cannon. Into the sun.

I'm waiting for the reboot simply called Lara.

7. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 15:09 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 12:23:
Why not have a Lara Croft game where she infiltrates a high tech skyscraper, for example? Or something similar.

She's already done that in Tomb Raider 3 and Tomb Raider Legend.

Oh, she did? My bad.

Creston

6. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 13:56 Eldaron Imotholin

PC will be left out and that news will be announced before spring, since it suits the announces made this winter.

EDIT: Fuck, it's already spring I think. I'm so bright.. T_T

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

5. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 12:28 Mangrove

Hope it will be out on PC. I've enjoyed playing the three recent iterations, even Underworld, with it's dodgy motorbike controls.

Funny, in Underworld you have the option to pick a Tranquillizer Dartgun instead of the usual array of shotties, smgs etc. So you can theoretically just KO all the precious endangered species, letting them wake up with you long gone. Trouble is you only had about 10 darts for it and a tiger took most of these to take down. And then 10 secs later woke up again just as pissed off with you, maybe more so.

Needless to say after that little realisation I ditched the hippy approach, tooled myself up, and went to war with those furry little fuckfaces

4. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 12:23 Jerykk

Why not have a Lara Croft game where she infiltrates a high tech skyscraper, for example? Or something similar.

She's already done that in Tomb Raider 3 and Tomb Raider Legend.

3. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 12:13 Creston

I think a name change to "Lara Croft and xxxxxxx" is actually pretty smart. It stops them from pigeonholing themselves into designing games around tombs all the time.

I really enjoyed the last two TR games, so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Creston

2. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 11:24 Zyrxil

The guy who came up with that name? Fire him. From a cannon. Into the sun.  

1. Re: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Announced Mar 4, 2010, 11:21 Cutter

Guardian of teh Bewbs!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo