Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I took the doggies to the trail yesterday and ran into the little dog Hudson the wonder dog recently traumatized by picking her up. I left the Huddy and the Gunnar-man in the car and got out to reassure the mom and daughter with the dog that Hudson was muzzled, which they appreciated. But when I opened the car, Huddy was on this little pooch in a flash, doing her best to abuse it in spite of the muzzle (which at least kept this from being life-threatening). It's now obvious I'm going to have to be extra careful about encountering this group in the future, as Huddy clearly considers this little pup some sort of vermin, rather than a fellow canine.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Wonderpills.
ImmorTall.
Sushi Cat.
Link: 7 Ways to Nap at Work. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Brooklyn brewhaha: Babies in bars.
Man assaulted, forcibly tattooed during home attack in Wollongong. Thanks j.c.f.
Forget Beer Pong -- Turtle Racing Is the Newest Bar Trend. Thanks Digg.
Science: The Fun Way of Scientifically Slicing a Pizza.
Monkey See or Is One Manís Fix Anotherís Enhancement?
How Britain is using classical music as a form of social control. Thanks Joker961 via Slashdot.
An Alien Finds a More Comfortable Place to Emerge.
Media: Funny or Die's Presidential Reunion. Thanks nin.
Today Show: Sexual Wii Fail.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2010, 16:12  Blue 

Very interesting -- thanks for the reply.

God, Please help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Especially if your dog thinks you know all about bombs!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2010, 12:38 Jeraxle

Sorry Blue, I didn't realize you had replied to my post until I was messing around with Frans new ignore user thingy.

Anyway, to answer your questions. I worked for a private company that took bomb technicians and trained them in handling canines. The thought process behind that was if my dog missed it, hopefully I'd pick up on it (being a bomb tech and trained to know what to look for in a bomb) and vice versa. They are/were a North American Police Work Dog Association accredited company. So in a sense, it was neither law enforcement or military. =)

As far as locating explosives: In a word, yes. A lot. Daisy was so sensitive, she'd alert on a cardboard box that held accelerents (sp?) 6 months prior to her coming along and sniffing it.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

31. Funny or Die's Presidential Reunion. Mar 6, 2010, 07:50 Kxmode

Do I have to choose?  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2010, 12:11  Blue 

What would you like to know?

Was this for the military or law enforcement? Did you ever end up locating any live explosives?

My dogs were 'Mike Winn' trained dogs from CT.

I'm not familiar... I tried Googling, but came up blank, though I found this thread!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

29. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2010, 08:42 InBlack

BIG HEADLINES!  

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 22:40 Jeraxle

Now that's pretty fascinating. I would be fascinated to hear about your experiences with that!

What would you like to know? =) My dogs were 'Mike Winn' trained dogs from CT. They were awesome. Most times, in controlled environments, I could work them 'off lead'. They'd go around sniffing whatever it was they were there to sniff and then alert (sit down) next to the problem. I'd look at them and give them the command 'show me'. They would then put their noses on the suspect item. Usually they would have the look on their faces such as 'ok, I did my job. Now give me the ball a@@hole'.. =)

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 21:05  Blue 

Not to be an ass, but didn't you have your dogs on a leash BEFORE you opened the car door?

Not to be an ass, but I have already explained this.

As a former Explosive Detection Canine Handler, I would leave the leash on my dogs and actually tie the end of the leash to anchor points in my vehicle. That kept them from jumping out at some unknown danger as soon as my door opened.

Now that's pretty fascinating. I would be fascinated to hear about your experiences with that!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 20:41 Jeraxle

Not to be an ass, but didn't you have your dogs on a leash BEFORE you opened the car door?

As a former Explosive Detection Canine Handler, I would leave the leash on my dogs and actually tie the end of the leash to anchor points in my vehicle. That kept them from jumping out at some unknown danger as soon as my door opened.

That said, I feel it's important to point out that my canines were not of the aggressive variety. They were labs. Fat ones at that.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 18:27 Hoop

Cutter wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 18:13:
Hoop backwards is pooh. So how is it exactly that they smell wrong?

Cutter you are right hoop is pooh spelt backwards, my friend I lan most with has the handle Tarf which is an anagram for fart.....I know I know imature. But my post was not really serious & if it was I would suggest we do sometimes find people off putting, not so much through obvious smells but instinctively picking up a clash of pheromones.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 18:40.

Um .. Behind you...

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 18:24  Blue 

BTW Blue, are you going to see Brooklyn's Finest?

I doubt that this is something that will get me into the theater, as there aren't many movies that can do that these days... I'll surely see it at home when it comes to DirecTV, or perhaps DVD if it seems worth it.

Looks like it could be interesting, and apart from the wonderful setting it also features two of my favorite character actors: Vincent D'Onofrio and Will Patton.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 18:13 Cutter

It will be a smell thing with the little pooch....I know there are people I've meet in life that smell wrong, I dont bite them but I won't give them my phone number & try & end the conversation quickly.

Hoop backwards is pooh. So how is it exactly that they smell wrong?

Whenever I meet anyone with bad BO, my instinct isn't to attack them but to move far away and upwind of them. If they insist on being near me I will flat out tell them they smell funky and need a shower and some fresh clothes.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 18:03 Sepharo

It's been said to nearly the point of clichť but it's true; dogs can sense human emotions.

It's likely that either Hudson picked something up from you or the other dog picked up on some fear from its owner. Either way the owners' emotions were probably involved in this situation.

I haven't watched it in a long while but Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) is the only person I've ever seen on TV explain this properly. I absolutely hate that English broad who never seems to make progress with the dogs on her show.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 17:51 Hoop

It will be a smell thing with the little pooch....I know there are people I've meet in life that smell wrong, I dont bite them but I won't give them my phone number & try & end the conversation quickly.  

Um .. Behind you...

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 15:41 Creston

Damn cats. My wife insisted we get a cat, so we finally did. Perfectly sweet for the first two years, then she started getting mean. She'll be fine for weeks, and then suddenly go fucking nuts.

I've smacked the crap out of her for a few of her more serious transgressions, so she's REALLY careful around me now, but she'll just randomly attack my wife for no reason.

You can sit there petting her, it'll be fine for five minutes, and suddenly, bang, claws and teeth. Little piece of shit.

"Fun" downside to it is that she absolutely HATES anyone else coming into the house, she's already chased away two house-sitters, so now when we go on vacation, we have no idea who to ask to come feed her. I think we'll put ten bowls of water and food down, and tell her to fucking fend for herself.

And, of course, my wife still loves her...

Fucking cats.

/dogs 4 life.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 15:31 Enahs

Blue wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 12:39:
I've described problems with her and other dogs before, but this was different - she acted like she thought it was a badger or something.

Was the other dog one of those stupid tiny dogs? If so, I say, let her kill the damn thing!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 12:50 PHJF

It's fairly clear this other dog is actually Hudson's long-lost offspring out of wedlock.

Run a DNA test.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 12:39  Blue 

Enahs wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 12:27:
I am not really sure though how Hudson was able to get close to this other dog. If she was in the car, you told the couple she had a muzzle on. How did you let her get to this other dog anyway? Seems like something you could of controlled because you were aware of the situation and chose not to.

You are correct, if I had dealt with it differently it would not have happened, I'm not trying to give any other impression. Though thinking I knew what was going to happen is a little unfair.

During the previous incident with this small dog, Huddy seemed to get overworked while playing and picked her up. This time I thought there was nothing to worry about since she was muzzled, thinking I would open the door and she would go over to the dog and everybody would sniff each other and nobody would get picked up. Instead she acted far more quickly and aggressively than I have ever seen, running over in a flash and starting to violently push the other dog around with her nose.

I've described problems with her and other dogs before, but this was different - she acted like she thought it was a badger or something.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 12:27 Enahs

I am not really sure though how Hudson was able to get close to this other dog. If she was in the car, you told the couple she had a muzzle on. How did you let her get to this other dog anyway? Seems like something you could of controlled because you were aware of the situation and chose not to.

- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 12:25 Enahs

I had a cat that was so vindictive it was funny.

We had 3 cats. One cat, if you picked him up and just shook him, very gently, you can see he would get pissed. As soon as you sat him down he would go find one of our other cats and just attack the hell out of them. Without mercy.

Whenever we wanted to punish the other two cats, we would just pick him up and shake him gently and then set him down near the cat we wanted to punish.....

- W. C. Fields

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2010, 12:07 Cutter

Maybe you've been pissing Huddy off somehow and she's trying to make you look like a douche in the doggy park. Or maybe she's getting old and cantankerous.

BTW Blue, are you going to see Brooklyn's Finest?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo