Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced

Atari announces development of Test Drive Unlimited 2, saying the racing sequel will offer "All-new race types, vehicle classes, environmental challenges, locations and much more," when it is released for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 this fall. They describe the game's genre as Massively Open Online Racing or M.O.O.R. (those are registered trademarks), saying this immerses: "drivers in a persistent online environment and revolutionizing multiplayer racing communities as players compete, team up, and share their achievements and creations online. Unlike any other driving game, TDU2 blends the open world experience with realistic vehicles and performance dynamics and for the first time, TDU2 features vehicle damage, weather effects, day and night cycles, and a brand new island to explore." French developer Eden Games, who created the original, are handling the sequel. The Test Drive Unlimited 2 Website is online, offering newsletter signups and a few screenshots.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 4, 2010, 01:46 Jerykk

In many ways, this is what NFS used to be and should be: exotic locales, exotic cars, variable weather, time of day, traffic, etc. On the other hand, I really didn't like the physics in the first TDU and the open-world nature of the game meant ton of generic, boring tracks. I'd much rather have a fewer, completely unique tracks from around the world instead of a bazillion slightly different tracks all on one island.

Oh Porsche Unleashed, why haven't we seen a spiritual successor to you yet.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 01:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 19:45 IgWannA

i have to disagree. i thought police chases were excellent. i loved the game and can't wait for the sequel. cruising around with random people online was a really cool feature. however it does kind of look like the same island which would suck...  

13. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 19:00 PHJF

TDU just had awful, awful police chases. The actual driving and the scenery were nice, though.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 18:06 HoSpanky

Swaaye, sorry...Burnout Paradise is overall, a better game. Less land to cover by a huge amount, but TDU was packed with the same buildings over and over, and while the game was pretty good when on flat ground, the game's geometry for elevation changes caused cars to fly off the track for no reason. Where Burnout had a smaller world, it was one I wanted to explore more than the one TDU had.

All that sounds like I hated it. I had a great time with it, for a while. Burnout Paradise is a better way to do open world... a world that actually looks different EVERYWHERE. If TDU gets that this time around, I think it could top B:P. I hope so.

11. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 14:53 swaaye

Very nice. The original game was so unique. Can't wait to see where they go with this.

I loaded up Burnout: Paradise a while back and couldn't help but notice how they claimed it was the first game in such an open world. Yeah right. That game has nothing on TDU.

10. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 14:23 Elf Shot The Food

I liked TDU quite a bit. Hopefully they'll add better car customization options this time around, in addition to the new features.

And please, some good music!

9. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 14:21 SM0k3

Man I use to love having island cruises & cannonballs with my buddies; it was a blast! I just hope they don't ruin it but it seems they're are off to a great start with weather, day cycles & damage.  

8. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 14:11 ForgedReality

One thing I hated about TDU was the absolte pointlessness of it all. Okay, you can drive around on this island in exotic vehicles, but there's no real advancement and none of the things you do really have any impact. There was no point to racing. It just felt.. anticlimactic. The non-inclusion of any kind of damage model was also extremely disappointing to me.

Maybe the sequel will be more meaningful, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 14:11 Ginny

A lot of people liked it, me being one of them.

This one was a gimme, for me the best in-car race/drive um up since the original need for speeds.

6. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 12:56 Bumpy

About damn time this game gets a refresh. Loved the first one, pray the 2nd is equally as good or better. Hope they have sim mode and don't turn it into a Burnout arcade fest.

Buggy release of TDU1 really made a bad name for itself right away on PC, lets hope same doesn't occur.

5. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 11:11 Veinman

YES! I loved TDU and have wondered where the sequel was.  

4. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 10:45 Tavil

Woohoo! Yes! bout freaking time! I absolutely LOVED TDU!!!  

3. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 10:43 Doma

first one was actually pretty good.

2. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 10:06 LittleMe

So I hope they do an Amiga and Atari ST version, dammit.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

1. Re: Test Drive Unlimited 2 Announced Mar 3, 2010, 10:03 mazling

Oh, yes! Please o ye gods of gaming, smile upon this game and let it not be yet another half arsed dumbed-down example of cross-platform gaming!
The first was great. Simple as that.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo