Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels?

There's another interesting tidbit in Activision Blizzard's annual 10K filing that mentions Blizzard is working on "sequels" to the Diablo franchise. Diablo III is the only Diablo sequel that's been announced, so it's not clear if this means another Diablo game is in the works, if this refers to Diablo III DLC, or if they plan to release Diablo III in installments as they plan to with StarCraft II (it also could just be a typo, but those are pretty rare in financial reports). Here's what it says: "Blizzard is currently developing new games, including a new expansion pack to the World of Warcraft franchise, Cataclysm, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, which will be released with the new and improved Battle.net, and sequels to the Diablo franchise." IncGamers contacted Blizzard with an inquiry about this, and were told: "We appreciate the interest, but we don't have any new announcements to make. For the Diablo franchise, our full focus is on Diablo III."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 4, 2010, 03:15 Kxmode

Flatline wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 14:33:
Seeing Blizzard's track record of shamelessly ripping off Games Workshop IP, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the MMO being developed was a rip of Blood Bowl or something similar.

You're thinking too small. Look at the larger picture. What multiplayer genre is hot right now? First-person shooters. It also happens to be an untapped genre within the MMO sphere. Iím not discrediting Planetside, Global Agenda, and trivial Asian titles but I am saying thereís no one game pulling people like WOW does. Blizzard has never made a FPS title. I think they're ready to branch out into new ground both literally and figuratively. I believe Blizzard's Nextgen MMO will be a FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER.

Mark today's date! You heard it from me first. Just wait...

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2010, 03:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Mar 3, 2010, 18:58 Ruffiana

Really, name the reports? I have not seen any lately. If you would please.

I too have heard that the other MMO in the works is not related to any of their existing franchises.

17. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 14:33 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 03:15:
First off, Blizzard has said the next MMO they are doing is on an entirely NEW IP.

So their first new IP since 98 when Starcraft was released (which was a rip off of warhammer 40k anyway).

We'll see if they still have it. A lot of the old Blizzard dev crew has since moved on.

Seeing Blizzard's track record of shamelessly ripping off Games Workshop IP, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the MMO being developed was a rip of Blood Bowl or something similar.

16. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 11:26 Verno

They better not break up Diablo into retail "Acts" or something ridiculous, I have limits that even Blizzard games are not exempt from.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

15. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 04:57 Kxmode

Where's Billy Mays when you need him to sell this stuff?  

14. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 03:15 The Half Elf

First off, Blizzard has said the next MMO they are doing is on an entirely NEW IP.

Secondly, a Diablo MMO would be too much like WoW in the fantasy settings that it really wouldn't make alot of sense.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 02:13 Mgshadow

Narf2029 wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 01:20:
Here's the sequels to the Diablo franchise! Diablo III, Act I. Diablo III, Act II. Diablo III, Act III... Diablo III, Nightmare Difficulty!

Dork! don't give them ideas!!

12. Blizzard the cash cow... Mar 3, 2010, 01:44 MrTA

Ok so I to agree that this is probably related to their mmo project. IMO FPS MMO in Diablo setting would be really cool, hopefully they can do right where Hellgate London did wrong.

Also I really don't want to see D3 butchered like SC2. Although releaseing the game act by act would probably sell like shit anyways. So who knows...

Or how about releasing act by act first, then add various modes in DLC like hardcore 15$ yay.

11. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 3, 2010, 01:20 Narf2029

Here's the sequels to the Diablo franchise! Diablo III, Act I. Diablo III, Act II. Diablo III, Act III... Diablo III, Nightmare Difficulty!  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

10. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 23:52 Sepharo

Icewind wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 22:38:
And before the same old people come out and say it can't be done on a console, go play Champions of Norrath, both Dark Alliance games, and Dungeon Siege PSP if you don't believe me.

Or just play Diablo.

9. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 22:38 Icewind

I believe it just means they are working on ports of it. A 360 and PS3 port of Diablo 3 would be like a digital diamond mine.

And before the same old people come out and say it can't be done on a console, go play Champions of Norrath, both Dark Alliance games, and Dungeon Siege PSP if you don't believe me.

8. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 22:38 PropheT

As much as I love Diablo, I'll be excited about this when we actually see a game. I hate the multi-year wait game that happens with their games, it really numbs the ability to get hyped about them.  

7. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 21:52 Creston

Sounds distressingly like they might do Diablo in multiple parts, because otherwise it wouldn't do the game justice, or whatever.

Creston

6. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Mar 2, 2010, 21:32 Drayth

I'm only going on my memory of what I've read here and there.. mostly on this site. It's not based on any of their existing IP's, and it's most likely some sort of shooter MMO.  

5. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Mar 2, 2010, 21:27 HellSlayer

Really, name the reports? I have not seen any lately. If you would please.  
o0

4. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 21:16 Drayth

I would certainly love to see a Diablo MMO (wish they had done that setting instead of Warcraft), but all reports indicate that the one they're working on is not Diablo orientated.

3. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 21:12 Wildone

You'd think the full focus & money of Blizzard would help them release the damn game, its not the latest 3D rendered normal mapped beast for gods sake its a dungeon crawler top down. Finish it already.  

2. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 20:58 Mgshadow

I think people have forgot that Blizzard is working on an unannounced MMO... I think its rather obvious what that second Diablo is  

1. Re: Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels? Mar 2, 2010, 20:26 Cutter

Your full focus better be on D3!

I think they need Les Grossman overseeing things there.

"Who's the key grip here? You? You! Hit that director in the face, really fucking hard!"

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo