Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Portal Patched

A post on Steam News announces a new automatic update for Portal, Valve's first-person puzzle platformer. The patch notes don't really make sense, saying the update: "Changed radio transmission frequency to comply with federal and state spectrum management regulations," hinting that something interesting may be on the way. Shacknews notes the Steam Users' Forums are puzzling through this, noticing a new Portal Achievement has been added, as well as some Morse code audio files that seem to indicate GLaDOS is, well, still alive.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 17:04 Boneshadow

"First you will be baked. And then there will be cake."

Wait...you mean....I'm the cake!!??

Am I a lie? I think...therefore I am cake?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 16:23 Wolfen

LOL. Yes prez. It is. Great observation. =D  

25. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 15:34 Prez

Wolfen wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 12:53:
LIES!

(yes, thats my intelligent come back, so suck it lol)

Isn't it ironic (dontcha think?) that you are so quick to proclaim something a lie when you are so willing to believe the promise of cake? Must be the sweet tooth...

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 14:03 Creston

Mangrove wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 06:35:
The cake was a truth. You getting a slice of it was a lie.

Rotfl

Creston

23. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 12:53 Wolfen

Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 11:34:
Also one could argue that because cake existed somewhere in the universe, it is therefore not a lie. But alas, the statement "the cake is a lie" is indicative of the specific allusion by GLaDOS to the promise that if you do what you are told as an indentured servant of the Enrichment Center, you will be rewarded cake. Of course we know, this is indeed a fallacy, as the only thing you were intended to receive is termination by conflagration. The existence of the cake in the final room can be said to be a manifestation of the subject of the lie that exists solely for the express purpose of helping the sentient mind GLaDOS reconcile the fact that she is illogically offering something as reward that is functionally unobtainable, thereby averting a logic disconnect that could very well set her program into a paradoxical AI logic loop from which she could not recover. Without the existence of the cake, GLaDOS would fry her circuits and there would be no sentient AI to run the place. Despite the existence of the cake, the promise of cake was never intended to come to fruition for the hapless charges of the Enrichment Center.

Therefore the only logical conclusion is that the cake was, and yet remains, a lie.

LIES!

(yes, thats my intelligent come back, so suck it lol)

22. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 11:34 Prez

Also one could argue that because cake existed somewhere in the universe, it is therefore not a lie. But alas, the statement "the cake is a lie" is indicative of the specific allusion by GLaDOS to the promise that if you do what you are told as an indentured servant of the Enrichment Center, you will be rewarded cake. Of course we know, this is indeed a fallacy, as the only thing you were intended to receive is termination by conflagration. The existence of the cake in the final room can be said to be a manifestation of the subject of the lie that exists solely for the express purpose of helping the sentient mind GLaDOS reconcile the fact that she is illogically offering something as reward that is functionally unobtainable, thereby averting a logic disconnect that could very well set her program into a paradoxical AI logic loop from which she could not recover. Without the existence of the cake, GLaDOS would fry her circuits and there would be no sentient AI to run the place. Despite the existence of the cake, the promise of cake was never intended to come to fruition for the hapless charges of the Enrichment Center.

Therefore the only logical conclusion is that the cake was, and yet remains, a lie.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2010, 11:50.

21. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 10:31 xXBatmanXx

ugh. You guys are making my head hurt.

The more Portal the better as far as I am concerned - some of the best gaming in the last 10 years right there. I am due for another play through.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 09:28 Grumpy Sod

Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2010, 05:33:
The cake was a lie. It said so right on the walls of every secret hidey hole you found, for Pete's sake!

Of course whoever wrote that was not privy to the fact that there was, indeed, cake. They were simply sure by the point they hid there that the cake was a lie.

19. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 09:09 Wolfen

This I can agree to.  

18. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 07:41 nin

I think we have a winner.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 07:37 InBlack

Portal was the best part of the Orange Box, and I bought the Orange Box just for TF2.  

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 07:01 Kevlar

Indeed. GLaDOS actually specifies precisely what the deal is as you near the end of Portal.

"First you will be baked. And then there will be cake."

15. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 06:35 Mangrove

14. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 06:29 nin

The cake was a lie. It said so right on the walls of every secret hidey hole you found, for Pete's sake!

But one could argue that it was not a lie, as you actually found one at the end of the game?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 05:33 Prez

12. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 04:49 Rigs

Don't you see?!? It's a global conspiracy from the fast food industry. We've been living in their ultimate real-life ARG fro some time now. First there was no spoon. Now, no cake. Hang onto those forks, people, or we'll be eating Big Mac's and Whoppers for the rest of our days...

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

11. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 01:32 Wolfen

The cake was not a lie.

A cake was there. Glados just omitted that you would be killed before the cake. But the cake was "there" so the cake was not a "lie".

10. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 00:44 Sepharo

Cool! Lemme know how it turns out and what you find out from the ARG...

Yep, playin' this ARG like I play all my ARGs.

9. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 00:29 Prez

Considering that you were supposed to be burned to death before you ever got to the room at the end, I'd say that the cake most definitely WAS a lie.

And Portal was absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the sequel.

8. Re: Portal Patched Mar 2, 2010, 00:17 Jensen

ARGs are fun! I only watch though, it goes too fast for me to give any valuable input.

The achievement is something I can work on, though. I've got 14 of the required steps for the achievement

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo