Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria

Gamers-Underground.com has an outrageous clip from an Aussie news report that unequivocally states "Gaming causes more harm than smoking," claims that in "Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2" (in case you were wondering about their level of fact-checking) "gamers plot terror attacks against civilians," and says "psychologists say that regular exposure to games like these actually rewires a child's brain making them more amenable to violence." It's official: The Aussie R18+ debate is generating more BS than a cattle ranch.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 20:01 Talisorn

Hellbinder wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 11:54:
yeah cause you know playing games where you rape, murder, kill, steal, assasinate, do drugs and the like is such a posative thing to do. and causes so many posative images to be floating around children and teens heads.

So heck yeah, why care about all the school violence, violence against parents, shootings, foul language, harshness etc of todays youth why should anyone care about silly stuff like School shootings every week anyway.

you people are bling and foolish and nearly all of your brains have been warped by this junk yourselves. why is "adult" content always, sex, rape, murder, debauchery etc? Ever stop to even think for a second that maybe "adult" content should be love, kindness, respect, self-control, self-sacrifice and other similar trates?

All of the supposed "adult" content is being put into games that 9-14 year olds play and watch at the movies and listen to in music hour after hour and day after day.

and you foolish people think this will have no effect at all.
I think you miss the point of the R18+ rating debate.

The debate is to allow adult content to be made available to adults and better inform parents of the games they purchase for their children. A parent will (theoretically) think twice before purchasing a game for little Johnny if it's got a big "R18+ Restricted" sticker on the front of the box where an M15+ sticker doesn't cut the mustard.

As for kids purchasing the games over the counter, stores in Australia are already restricted from selling MA15+ games to kids and face huge fines if they do. The R18+ rating would be even more restrictive in that respect.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 19:10 Quboid

Tumbler wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 15:38:
Time for a Starbucks Dude.

I'm confused by this sig, it seems like the perfect response to his "comment"...maybe someone hacked his account and put it there to tease him?

To him, many of us probably look as crazy as he looks to us. If he gets that worked up, then he must think it's us who are crazy and need to wake up (at least that's what I assume it means).

I've always assumed it's an act and he's just a troll anyway.

- Quboid

31. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 18:54 shponglefan

Prez wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 13:39:
Does anyone really care what a wacko like Hellbinder has to say? It's pretty obvious from his usual random, desultory and irrational rant fests that he's not playing with a full deck.

That, and he lives under a bridge.

30. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 18:51 J

If you're going to troll couldn't you at least come up with something juicier like 'Prisoners shouldn't be allowed to play violent video games'?

But blatant trolling aside, I really don't like censorship at all. Granted, I was brought up to know how to keep things in their place. If I'm frustrated I'd rather take it out on some virtual characters than real living ones. I can then sleep soundly at night knowing nobody will be after me.

It is healthy to blow off steam, and video games can be one such outlet. Keeping it in and not being able to express it somehow is what leads people to taking it out on regrettable things.

Back to Fallout 3. Trying out a vampire mod I downloaded. Then I'll go out for a nice snack...

29. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 18:23 derelict koan

As embarrasing as this is to Australia's image, crap like this will only help get the r18 installed. Got to love the "psychologists say" statement...  
www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

28. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 16:37 Talisorn

In the '00s, Terrorists are out to destroy society.
In the '90s, Grunge music was the boggie man.
In the '80s, Dungeons and Dragons was the work of the devil.
In the '70s, Heavy Metal destroying the minds of the vulnerable.
In the '60s, Rock and Roll corrupting the youth.
In the '50s, comic books were corrupting the minds of children.

Keep going back and you get the picture.

Video Games are the great evil of this decade/generation. I just despair at the ignorant part of every generation that grows up, looks down, closes their minds and opens their mouths. When will we learn?

27. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 16:06 Dev

Hellbinder:

Whoose fault is it that kids 9 year old are playing games rated M?

I would say its the parents. Kids that young don't have much money unless the parents throw it at the kids, so either the parents are buying the games, or the parents are buying the xbox and throwing money at the kids who use it for the games. In either case its the parents fault for not checking rating or at least using the built in xbox or ps parental controls to limit the rating of games they can play. Setting parental controls would only take a few minutes then they could go back to ignoring whatever the kids do.

In any case, there's not really any point in AU to not being able to rate games M. I mean they have movies over there with sex and violence, its just games being singled out.

26. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 15:38 Tumbler

Time for a Starbucks Dude.

I'm confused by this sig, it seems like the perfect response to his "comment"...maybe someone hacked his account and put it there to tease him?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

25. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:54 Mashiki Amiketo

kxmode wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 14:53:
Who needs correct spelling and proper punctuation when you're trying to make a point?
Iam in ur maind screwin wit ur grammar.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to take a bath after typing that.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

24. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:53 Kxmode

Armadillos wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 13:17:
I think the next time you want to try and make a point, it would probably be a good idea to use this great technology called a spell checker. The fact that you can't really even spell positive makes me think I'm dealing with someone who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Who needs correct spelling and proper punctuation when you're trying to make a point?

23. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:52 Shooman

yeah cause you know playing games where you rape, murder, kill, steal, assasinate, do drugs and the like is such a posative thing to do. and causes so many posative images to be floating around children and teens heads.

It's "Positive". For someone so hooked up on schooling - you certainly missed a few classes...

22. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:52 NKD

Oh look it's Hellbinder, our friend from the Westboro Baptist church.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:49 Kxmode

m00t wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 13:49:
Ignore Hellbinder.

Every time he cries about "potty mouths" let's just refer to these posts:

Owned.

20. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Buckermann wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 14:18:
I think for people like hellbender, religion is just an excuse to make themselves bigger and everyone else smaller.
In other words, idiots beyond any redemption (hehe). No point arguing with them.
That's pretty broad brush. Being religious(Jewish) myself I couldn't really care what you do as long as you're not vaporizing small animals or people because you think it's funny. Personally the mentioned person is just out to troll, either that or their clinically insane I'm not sure which. It's a fine line to figure out sometimes.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:23 Vulkan

Wolf3d at 12 here, and Forbidden Forest at 5. I'm probably the biggest peace loving, yin yang wearing pacifist hippie you could find around these parts.  

18. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 14:18 Buckermann

I think for people like hellbender, religion is just an excuse to make themselves bigger and everyone else smaller.
In other words, idiots beyond any redemption (hehe). No point arguing with them.

17. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 13:49 m00t

Ignore Hellbinder.

Every time he cries about "potty mouths" let's just refer to these posts:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=38027&id=58030&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=40772&id=76903&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39820&id=69131&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39378&id=66058&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39378&id=66057&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39370&id=65973&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39324&id=65761&view=threads

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=39649&id=67864&view=threads

Apparently it's okay to swear if you don't type the whole word or replace it with ****! Oh, except that he does on at least one occasion.

Sorry for the redundancy here but: religious hypocrisy at it's finest.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2010, 13:54.

16. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 13:44 Cutter

If that were the case the government should be grateful for turning kids into the killers of tomorrow that will fight their wars for them, because the governments have no problem sending them off to be violent for that.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 13:39 Prez

Does anyone really care what a wacko like Hellbinder has to say? It's pretty obvious from his usual random, desultory and irrational rant fests that he's not playing with a full deck.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Aussie R18+ Debate Hysteria Mar 1, 2010, 13:17 Armadillos

So heck yeah, why care about all the school violence, violence against parents, shootings, foul language, harshness etc of todays youth why should anyone care about silly stuff like School shootings every week anyway.

you people are bling and foolish and nearly all of your brains have been warped by this junk yourselves. why is "adult" content always, sex, rape, murder, debauchery etc? Ever stop to even think for a second that maybe "adult" content should be love, kindness, respect, self-control, self-sacrifice and other similar trates?

All of the supposed "adult" content is being put into games that 9-14 year olds play and watch at the movies and listen to in music hour after hour and day after day.

and you foolish people think this will have no effect at all.

I think the next time you want to try and make a point, it would probably be a good idea to use this great technology called a spell checker. The fact that you can't really even spell positive makes me think I'm dealing with someone who isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo