Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo

A new trailer from Metro 2033 is now available on GameVideos, showing off the "kill or be killed" environment in the upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter that, in fairness, is the doctrine in about every FPS ever made. Also, the Metro 2033 team tweets about how the game will not feature a prerelease demo: "lots of questions about a Metro 2033 demo - there won't be one pre-release, we simply don't have time."

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Mar 1, 2010, 07:30 BobBob

space captain wrote on Mar 1, 2010, 07:26:
that sounds like a serious issue

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Mar 1, 2010, 07:26 space captain

theyd probably punch you in the the nose, walk to the top of the nearest mountain and then scream in raw fury at the skies until someone shot them up with enough tranquilisers to knock out a blue whale.

Go forth, and kill!

16. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 28, 2010, 21:59 siapnar

born2expire wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 19:58:
pre-bought on Steam 2 weeks ago, if its ANYTHING like the STALKER games i'll be super happy. If it sucks oh well I'm out $50, no biggie, I'll spend more then that on beer tonight.
This man has a point.

I spent 50 bones last night just on food and beers.

Similarly, I went to see Body Worlds at the Toronto Science Centre the other day and wasn't very impressed, but it was a worthy experience, you could say.
That cost me 57 bones for an average event which only lasted 2 hours or so.

I have projectile dysfunction.

15. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2010, 12:49 Prez

People here do it all the time. On rails = House of the Dead. Not Half Life 2.

Agreed. HL2 was linear, but it was most certainly not on rails.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2010, 12:40 Beamer

It drives me nuts when people describe HL2 type FPS games as "on rails."

Doesn't anyone remember true on-rails games of the mid 90s and how terrible they were? If it doesn't do justice to Stalker to call Metro 2033 Stalkeresque, it certainly doesn't do justice to linear FPS games to call them "on rails."

People here do it all the time. On rails = House of the Dead. Not Half Life 2.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Game Reviews Feb 28, 2010, 10:57 BobBob

No demo, no buy.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

12. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 28, 2010, 04:27 elefunk

born2expire wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 19:58:
pre-bought on Steam 2 weeks ago, if its ANYTHING like the STALKER games i'll be super happy. If it sucks oh well I'm out $50, no biggie, I'll spend more then that on beer tonight.
hehe.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/02/04/on-rails-hands-on-with-metro-2033/

Hey! Stop that, youve got it wrong: this is not Stalker by another name. In fact, its not Stalker to the extent that, were you to say Is this like Stalker? to one of the ex-Stalker developers behind it, theyd probably punch you in the the nose, walk to the top of the nearest mountain and then scream in raw fury at the skies until someone shot them up with enough tranquilisers to knock out a blue whale. Its very determinedly not like Stalker, and I cant imagine how many times the poor dears have had to bat away the same questions and presumptions. Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic shooter set in mutant-strewn modern Russian, but its not open-world survival fantasy. Its a strictly linear first-person shooter, albeit with a touch of shopping and soaking up the atmosphere of civilian settlements in between dealing death to things that go bump in the subterranean perma-night. Its Half-Life, its Bioshock, its Call of Duty its anything but Stalker.

11. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 23:49 Shadowcat

From their statement, it does sound like there will be a post-release demo, which is fine.
Quite. In fact, I VASTLY prefer post-release demos to pre-release demos. A post-release demo is more likely to be indicative of the final code, rather than the state the game was in a few months before release (and hence lacking those last few months of serious polish).

I want game demos to actually be representative of the retail game; not some kind of 'beta' preview.

10. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 21:40 CommunistHamster

I can forgive this team for not releasing a demo since they are underfunded Ukranians, but if Ubisoft or EA tried this I'd be very unhappy.  

9. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 19:58 born2expire

8. ARCADE GAMES NEVER HAD DEMOS!!!!!!! Feb 27, 2010, 19:27 space captain

corporate shill 4 life, bitch Bandana  
Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 16:31 Ant

Demo please! How am I supposed to know if I will like the game or not?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

6. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 16:30 Icewind

Surf is completely correct. Furthermore, I still believe companies "owe us" demos. If you don't release a demo, you're sending a message that you're game sucks shit and you don't want me to know.

Torrent solves this problem rather nicely.

5. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 15:39 Surf

Understood, but I refuse to buy into an industry that won't stand by their products. Some companies won't release a demo because they know their product sucks. AVP did have a demo but the reviews of that demo were less than stellar, but I am glad they had the nuts to release a demo prior to releasing the game. Somewhat same with the BF BC2 however you have to buy the game to get a Beta key, which makes you a free beta tester.

The mind set is just backwards. Video games are one of the only or few products I know that you cannot return if it doesn't work or doesn't live up to the hype. Sure piracy can hurt many people, but if I pirate a game and don't like it, i delete it, I don't share it or leave it for upload for months, weeks or even days. If I keep playing the game such as Stalker/Pripyat, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age I will go buy it or I will wait for the price and DLC's to be in one pacakage a year later and buy it.

It always sucks to buy say Fallout 3 when it first came out then buy it again as a Game of the Year version with all the DLC's! With that mentality the game now costs over $100 which isn't fair to me. Should DLC's be free? To some degree yes as well as patches, but thus far they haven't really been fairly priced.

Oh well, I support the games I love, especially from small shops (Plants v.s Zombies, World of Goo, Defense Grid, Mount & Blade) those folks really deserve it.

4. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 15:11 Prez

It's called Bit Torrent. Use it to see if you like a game or not! I did and just bought Stalker Call of Pripyat and will wait for Napoleon to get patched more. Thanks to my Bit Torrent "demo" of Aliens vs. Predator I saved my self from blowing $50 on a piece of shit game. Gotta be savvy these days or your pocket book will get destroyed.

I get what you're saying, but I'd rather not add to the already over-inflated and over-relied-upon torrent download numbers if I can help it.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 15:01 Surf

Theres always a demo. I got the demo of Napoleon Total war and BF Bad Company 2 right here.

It's called Bit Torrent. Use it to see if you like a game or not! I did and just bought Stalker Call of Pripyat and will wait for Napoleon to get patched more. Thanks to my Bit Torrent "demo" of Aliens vs. Predator I saved my self from blowing $50 on a piece of shit game. Gotta be savvy these days or your pocket book will get destroyed.

2. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 14:59 Overon

A demo is imperative. But when demos are not released it suggest that they don't have enough time and that usually signals less than stellar polish at release time. Especially from an eastern European developer.  

1. Re: Metro 2033 Trailer: No Prerelease Demo Feb 27, 2010, 14:14 Prez

Boo! A Demo is a must for a FPS. Especially a brand new IP FPS. From their statement, it does sound like there will be a post-release demo, which is fine.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo