Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well the snow finally stopped here (the final tally for our area was 25") and the cable modem is cranking along again, so things are pretty much back to normal here at the BlueTower. Even were they not, it would be hard to gripe on a morning when all the news is about an 8.8 earthquake, which makes dealing with some harsh weather seem quite trivial. Here's thinking of the victims in Chile and wishing Godspeed to rescue crews.

Cranking Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Raze.
Home Sheep Home.
Mr. Mullet.
Links: A Letter From the Desk of the Videogame Boss President.
E-mails from an Asshole. Thanks Devicer.
10 Things Women Do That Drive Guys Crazy.
Stories: Massive earthquake strikes Chile, 122 dead.
One School's Teachers Get an F - for Fired. Thanks Digg.
Nude Window Display at Chair and the Maiden Turns Heads. Thanks j.c.f.
Science: Scientists pinpoint origins of little dogs.
Brain's 'Fairness' Spot Found. Thanks Digg.
Epic Predator Vs. Predator Showdown.
1,200 Pounds of Recycled Steel Form a Hulking Alien Queen.
Media: Tree Plus Chainsaw Equals BioShock 2 Big Daddy.
Fish With Transparent Head Filmed. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Granny Takes A Ride. The little old lad from Pasadena.
Auction: FACTORY SEALED NEW NES NINTENDO STADIUM EVENTS NTSC. Thanks Devicer. $41K?!
Follow-up: James Cameron Discusses Na’vi Boobs. Thanks Digg.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 16:50  Xymph 

MTechnik wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:42:
Maybe I missed it before,
Probably, since it's been there since the last layout overhaul, which I think happened in 2003. Shocked

MTechnik wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:42:
but the news forum link at the top of the page is awesome. Thanks!
You're welcome.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 11:25 kanniballl

I live about about 45 minutes hours West of NYC, without *any* traffic. Maybe 1.5 hours during rush hour.

We got maybe 6 inches, it might've been a lot more had it not turned to sleet for a while. Still nowhere near as much as I was expecting...

The office shut down for 2 days in a row, which I really wasn't expecting and don't ever recall happening.

Heck a few weeks ago we got 18 inches that stopped in the late evening and we didn't even get a delayed opening the following day.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 11:32.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 08:07 Hump

I live 3 hours away from NYC (RI) and all we got was a dusting. We dodged a bullet.

EDIT: BTW, that "emails" site is garbage. The "mails" are all written and answered by one person.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 08:15.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 05:43 LittleMe

Blue, the big snowstorm we had here in the DC metro area a few weeks back was made much worse when we lost power for 48 hours. I've been through quite a few two foot storms and it isn't *that* bad as long as you have electricity/heat. We had to huddle around the gas oven for hours. Be grateful you have heat! The snow isn't that bad, inconvenient yes, but it can be dealt with. I actually enjoy a big snowstorm.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2010, 11:09.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2010, 05:22 Hoop

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 16:55:
Well, the old man bought a laptop to take with him out of town now that he is retired.....

Hey thats what i did today with Mum...bought her a laptop. Yet to have a good look at windows 7 but I figured that would be the case, Vista 64 has been a very solid OS for me,no complaints what so ever.
Still if its more user friendly that will help.

I'll keep you all updated with some of the most bizarre questions she throws me.

"Why when I save something it gets lost and why wont it let me delete files that I have lost? is it because of the rams? marge said make sure the motherbit has all its rams taken up...until she got more rams the internet would'nt run and files went missing."

Mums .....not always right...but ya gotta love them.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 2010, 06:00.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 18:21 MTechnik

Bill Borre wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 16:33:
8.8! Damn, that's one big earthquake! With 122 dead it must have been a low pop area considering all the people who died in Haiti. I think I read in an Arthur C. Clarke book years ago that Ricter 9.0 is about as big as they can get due to the molecular construction of the soil.

Nope, they just experience more earthquakes, so they have building codes that account for that. Haiti has no building codes, so people can make a 3 story home out of the cheapest, most brittle concrete, with homes 2' away from it on other sides, which will all topple like dominos.

Well, it is LESS populated, but not by that much.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 18:17 Riker

From the NES game auction page:

You all have been great…we look forward to keeping in touch. We’ve made hundreds of friends and memories to last a lifetime.

From posting an eBay auction for an old NES cart? Really?

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 16:55 xXBatmanXx

Well, the old man bought a laptop to take with him out of town now that he is retired.....

So he brings it over...with Windows 7 on it....and it is interesting....get to play with it abit, but already finding some stuff that doesn't work.

Was never a fan of the big buttons and huge start menu, and the easy fixes from before aren't there, so I have to dig some.....

Looks nice, but they are obviously making it look more and more like Mac OS.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 16:33 Bill Borre

8.8! Damn, that's one big earthquake! With 122 dead it must have been a low pop area considering all the people who died in Haiti. I think I read in an Arthur C. Clarke book years ago that Ricter 9.0 is about as big as they can get due to the molecular construction of the soil.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 15:42 MTechnik

Blue,

Maybe I missed it before, but the news forum link at the top of the page is awesome. Thanks!

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 15:39 Cutter

From Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: God·speed
Pronunciation: \-&#712;sp&#275;d\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English god speid, from the phrase God spede you, God prosper you
Date: 15th century
: a prosperous journey : success <bade him Godspeed>

I'd wager it went back even further used with Apollo and the like.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 27, 2010, 15:04 PHJF

I don't think god-the-all-powerful is shackled by such trivial physical concepts as speed, so "godspeed" really doesn't make any sense. I'm sure whoever our omnipotent overlord is he can simply traverse any manner of distance in an instant should he so choose.

That or he exists at every point at every time therefore the notion that he would have to travel at all is bunk.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo