Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed

Ubisoft confirms their controversial new DRM scheme that requires a constant online connection will be used in Splinter Cell: Conviction, Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic, Assassin's Creed 2, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, and the new Ghost Recon game, reports Softpedia by way of PC Gamer magazine. They offer a quote from a Ubisoft spokesperson: "It's hard for us to say, yes, from now until the day that we all die all of our games are going to include this but most will." Thanks Shacknews.

View
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

46. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 08:38 GayBlade

I shall prepare my scathing attacks on Ubisoft over on Amazon when I am able to post feedback for these products.

And I shall never buy a Ubisoft product so long as this draconian DRM persists.

I am tired of being treated like a criminal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 08:12 Dev

Bumpy:
Did you read what this DRM will consist of?
Having internet connection isn't enough. You have to have a PERFECT internet connection, since you lose progress if you even momentarily disconnect. Your router has to have a perfect uptime record, so that you've never ever needed to reboot your router. Your ISP has to have a perfect uptime record (I guess you pay hundreds extra a month for that T1 contract garunteeing 99.7% uptime which still isn't perfect) Ubisoft has mentioned bandwidth they are gonna use for this DRM thats more than most dialup, to the tune that they are transferring most of a gigabyte a day, so they are gonna monitor constantly. Hope you don't have metered internet. And thats only the bit you can somewhat control from YOUR end.

Plus, anytime they do maintence the ubisoft servers will be down and prevent EVERYONE from playing thier game (they already announced that little tidbit). Or if their servers get attacked (you think pirates won't ddos someone like this if it will take down 100% of a PC game playing population? From what I've seen, DDOSers like to do things that get them noticed and knocking ubisoft's servers down would probably get them noticed. Not to mention that hackers will probably want to give ubisoft the finger in general over this for daring to think they can stop them regardless of if they can. If ddos attacks can knock things like amazon or yahoo offline for a bit, a little piddly server like ubisoft has no chance.). Not to mention that this is basically going to be like a MMORPG launch. Since when have you noticed MMORPG launchs going good? Why? Because if they are taking 50 kbit bandwidth from every game player constantly, they are basically going to need to run bandwidth the size of a small MMORPG to handle that, and servers to control that bandwidth. Basically they are going to need to have a big chunk of a MMORPG's logistical structure on the backend, with no MMORPG experiance, working perfectly. HAHAHAAHAHAHA. When was the last mmorpg that launched good from a small company with zero mmorpg experiance and zero beta or alphas, and no clue about what kinda bandwidth and servers they would need? None of this you can control from your end. You just have to have perfect faith that ubisoft will have perfect uptime on thier servers.

So yeah, you just keep deluding yourself that you will have a perfect gameplay experiance with this DRM.

ASJD:
If its ubisoft, it will get this DRM. They just basically said they want to put it on everything until they die.

Jerykk:
No, since the driving motivators to include DRM are all still there. I.e. shareholders wanting to see it (doesn't matter much if it works, they just like to see it. If the shareholders were smart they'd care more about game quality and not pissing peopel off.)

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 08:21.

44. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 07:59 theyarecomingforyou

Normally I wouldn't object to online requirements but my internet connection has been unstable recently and I'll be damned if I'm buying a game that will effectively be unplayable. I have no problem with DRM in general but draw the line when it becomes too intrusive. Activations limits were a tough swallow but unless we see some exceptional post-release support I'll be passing. And everyone knows this will do fuck all to prevent pirated copies appearing.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

43. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 07:57 Burrito of Peace

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 07:27:
I'm sure I'll get at least one comment about how I'm not a real PC gamer if I don't like hardcore sims out of that...

Not only are you not a real PC gamer, you're a "librul" godless heathen who spreads teh ghey, AIDs and babyrape wherever you go.

/Silent Hunter fan
//Not buying SH5
///Ubi ought to at least buy me dinner before shoving themselves up my ass, unlubed.

42. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 07:31 Nere

It's like an anti-shopping list.  

41. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 07:27 Dr. D. Schreber

Problem is you wont good sim games like silent hunter series on console.

Not a problem for those of us who think good sims are as exciting as a tax audit.

I'm sure I'll get at least one comment about how I'm not a real PC gamer if I don't like hardcore sims out of that...

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

40. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 07:13 Kxmode

No sale.

I'd also like to add this is a class action lawsuit in the making.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 07:27.

39. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 06:58 KilrathiAce

Problem is you wont good sim games like silent hunter series on console.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

38. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 06:46 Dr. D. Schreber

If others are doing the same - even the increased price point can;t be compensating the loss in sales? Wasn't it Valve that proved that lower prices actually produces more turnover and margin than higher prices with the sale of UT3?

Proof only matters when people are willing to accept it, and human nature is to resist change because it's effort and requires admitting you were wrong. Businessmen tend to view objective facts about flaws in their business models by sticking their fingers in their ears, closing their eyes, and going "I CAN'T HEAR YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT LAAAAA LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA"

Anywho, Ubisoft's DRM lunacy won't drive me to pirate. It'll drive me to Gamefly the console versions.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

37. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 05:39 Diabolus in Musica

Well there's a list of games I'm not touching. Wow I am so done playing any of Ubisoft's games. Good job Ubi!

Sit Ubi, sit.

36. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 05:23 Muscular Beaver

Not buying any Ubisoft games from now on goes without saying (would at least have bought SH5, SC:C and GR).
But I would really like to see a sales number comparison between the last Prince of Persia without DRM and the new one with this rectal ex... err "copy protection".

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

35. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 04:44 Mac

Bah - Ubisoft have gone mad - it's a shame - some good games there - but losing progress because your internet drops is worse than playing an MMO.

Lets be fair - its not about preventing pirates - its about giving shareholders the belief they are doing something about piracy to get more investment and fundamentally killing the second hand market.

When DRM penalises legit purchases more than a pirated copy then it has gone too far.

The answer is to just price their games at a reasonable level, and offer good after sales support.

I've only bought 1 game (Dragon Age) for 25 sinse they increased the price of new games from 17.99 - I used to buy 2-3 games a month @ 17.99 - I now generally forget about games after their 1st month and forget to purchase them even when the price drops.

It's not as though I can't afford it - but their is a principal that a game lasting only 10-15 hours isn't worth 25 to me

If they started making pc games like they used to - rather than console friendly games - I might change my tune.

Looking back - i've bought lots of games over the last year - but only 1 over 20 ... most were <10 ... I've saved hundreds of pounds this year compared to previously where I used to pre-order games - and if they were crap they used to just go the shelf - I now don't purchase anything unless it's got great reviews and is less than 20.

If others are doing the same - even the increased price point can;t be compensating the loss in sales? Wasn't it Valve that proved that lower prices actually produces more turnover and margin than higher prices with the sale of UT3?

34. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 04:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Bumpy wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 22:42:
If my computer is on, I'm online, so this DRM will be pretty transparent for me.

Not saying I like the DRM but I will buy and play what I want on PC to support PC gaming.

A game on PC with horrible DRM is better than no game at all.
No. No it's not, it's like being beaten in the street, having your money 'safely' stored by the criminal; who then walks away promising in 8 years it'll still be there.

You're a fool, and a fools fool if you think that this supports PC gaming.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

33. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 04:39 Reactor

I won't be buying Ubisoft game either until they ditch this scheme.  

32. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 04:37 Moog

New Ubisoft DRM = No $ale.
Simples.

31. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 03:06 Lokust

Two more games off my to-buy list. In these hard economic times, I appreciate what Ubisoft is doing to keep my dollar in my wallet!  

30. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 03:00 Jerykk

I wonder if they'll give up on this once the first few games are cracked on day one.  

29. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 02:45 BobBob

Fuck it. I am not going to buy anything from Ubisoft again. I don't care if it supposedly brings forth bliss, euphoria, and answers to the meaning of life.  

28. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 02:20 Creston

It's hard for me to say, yes, from now until the day I die, that I'll never buy any of your games. But I won't.

Oh wait, that wasn't hard at all.

Edit : Someone beat me to the punch. Oh well, the sentiment stands.

Creston

27. Re: Ubisoft DRM Titles Confirmed Feb 27, 2010, 01:39 PropheT

Bumpy wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 22:42:
A game on PC with horrible DRM is better than no game at all.

No, it really isn't.

I'll never pirate a game, but there's no way I'm going to buy into this kind of DRM either.

I understand that they need to try to protect their investment, but not by incorporating solutions that punish me for buying their product when the assclowns who pirate it will get a better deal. There are better ways to approach this than how they're doing it.

106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo