Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited has attracted over one million new players since the Dungeons & Dragons MMORPG dropped mandatory subscription fees in September 2009, announces Turbine. They also state the game's paid subscriber rate has doubled over that time, while the DDO in-game store generates triple the industry average activity, which have combined to increase the franchise's revenue by more than 500% since September. "The launch of DDO Unlimited has been a huge success and has really taken the game to a new level," said Executive Producer Fernando Paiz. "As we celebrate our 4th birthday, the game has never been better and we’re just getting started with more adventure packs, more store items, and other innovative features coming in the major updates we have planned throughout 2010."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 27, 2010, 18:48 space captain

Much in the same way you get the base DDO for free, but the additional modules are premium. It's the same type of 'nickle and diming' in a different medium.

d&d didnt become like that until it became a successful business commodity - thats the entire point of business practice, of course - to be successful

Go forth, and kill!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 27, 2010, 15:31 Zadig

It's sad to see such good game material wasted like this. It's probably the best IP you could ever license: very well established game system with a fair amount of 'lore', yet without the canonical straitjacket that ruins Star Wars and Tolkien games.  

21. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 23:04 DarkCntry

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 19:50:
DarkCntry
You know, kinda like tabletop D&D right? Yea, that's not gonna last, right?
What does D&D success have to do with subscription verses subscription free while nickle and diming? Plotting

Entry into D&D almost always required the core rule book and a monster manual. Beyond that it's just gravy...but to get fullest amount of enjoyment you need to pony up to buy those other manuals.

They weren't required by any stretch but you almost always invariably purchased at least one as your D&D 'life' progressed.

Much in the same way you get the base DDO for free, but the additional modules are premium. It's the same type of 'nickle and diming' in a different medium.

20. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 22:59 Cutter

Personally, I love DDO. Best MOG going IMO. The only problem is the lack of content. What's there is excellent, but just not near enough, and they don't produce new stuff nearly fast enough. Their last major content update took over a year.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

19. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 21:13 Acleacius

Holy shhhhhhiittttzuuuuuu!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

18. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 20:50 space captain

Second, we’re PAYING for these messages. These little 15-second waits add up–bigtime. If Verizon’s 70 million customers leave or check messages twice a weekday, Verizon rakes in about $620 million a year. That’s your money. And your time: three hours of your time a year, just sitting there listening to the same message over and over again every year.

In 2007, I spoke at an international cellular conference in Italy. The big buzzword was ARPU–Average Revenue Per User. The seminars all had titles like, “Maximizing ARPU In a Digital Age.” And yes, several attendees (cell executives) admitted to me, point-blank, that the voicemail instructions exist primarily to make you use up airtime, thereby maximizing ARPU.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/30/the-mandatory-15-second-voicemail-instructions/

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 20:35 Acleacius

Lorcin
If you crossed DDOs dungeons with Wars open group quest system, EQ2s lore and finally vanguard's huge world you'd be close

I got to admit that's damn impressive idea, good work, Lorcin. Allthumbsup

space captain
dont you remember that article about the mandatory Verizon voice mail messages, and how those 10 seconds or so added up to millions in increased revenue?

Not shit, really? I had no idea, they make you get some kind of voice email ads? Damn that's messed up, if true.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 20:12 space captain

its all about the nickel and diming.. dont you remember that article about the mandatory Verizon voice mail messages, and how those 10 seconds or so added up to millions in increased revenue?  
Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 20:06 Lorcin

I agree with that one - although I don't like wow this, war, conan everything has to have that layer of polish as a bare minimum to make it.

Nothing actually competes to wow - even EQ2 gives an initial old school impression with some awful icon graphics.

If you crossed DDOs dungeons with Wars open group quest system, EQ2s lore and finally vanguard's huge world you'd be close - but it would still need one hell of a lot of polish to compete with wow.

OH btw whilst I don't like wow - I still play it about 6-12 hours per day - but I have no idea why. It's like internet crack. Intercrack?

14. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:53 Donkey_Punch

Yes, it still sucks. When they went free I tried it. Within a few days it was uninstalled. Felt very unpolished compared to WoW (using it just as an example of a quality not of content).  

13. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:50 Acleacius

DarkCntry
You know, kinda like tabletop D&D right? Yea, that's not gonna last, right?
What does D&D success have to do with subscription verses subscription free while nickle and diming? Plotting

Not's not a bad plan Mead.

12. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:38 Kxmode

Right on Turbine. Glad things worked out!  

11. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:19 Ant

Is the game a lot better than since the beta?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

10. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:15 PHJF

While it's a "horrible representation of D&D", it's OK as far as MMOs go on the sole basis that the entirely-instanced dungeons essentially circumvent the usually bland, grinding nature of questing in MMOs. That isn't to say there is no grinding (on the contrary, every dungeon is meant to be completed no less than three to four times for nominal rewards). And as far as MMOs go, DDO neglected to implement the first "M" in "MMO". There's one city (and it isn't very large), a handful of wilderness zones, and then zones restricted to the instanced quests. Given that D&D has such a vast catalog of lands and realms all ripe for depiction, this is perhaps DDO's cruelest offense.

But the dungeons themselves are interesting enough.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 19:15 Nere

Four years?! Really?
Wow .. time is like a runaway freight train.

8. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 18:30 Mead

Riker wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 18:24:
Does the game still suck? I recall checking it out several years ago and thinking it was a horrible representation of D&D.
It's not so bad. Does what it can for not having a turn-based combat system. Lots of common ideas with Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved mechanics, with the action points and stepped power gains.

I don't like the xp inflation though. Makes it seem like an impossibly long road when you're used to needing just a few thousand to level, and then it gets multiplied 10x.

7. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 18:27 Mead

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 17:47:
I avoided it for the nickel and dime method, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Iirc the game is only $20 US but each module is $5 US, with more than 50 modules, so it's hard to see how this can last but who knows.

Another viable strategy for that is subbing for a month, getting the free turbine points, playing all the normally inaccessible stuff during that time, then buying a module with those points so you can access it when your sub ends.

Or you can just keep all your money like I've done, and not worry about it. Course, you're not going to end up with uber gear, or be on any world achievement lists, or anything hardcore - but I do enjoy playing with all my old college gaming buddies. We're scattered to the four winds, but this still lets us get together on a regular basis, on the cheap.

6. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 18:24 Riker

Does the game still suck? I recall checking it out several years ago and thinking it was a horrible representation of D&D.  

5. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 18:15 DarkCntry

Acleacius wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 17:47:
I avoided it for the nickel and dime method, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. Iirc the game is only $20 US but each module is $5 US, with more than 50 modules, so it's hard to see how this can last but who knows.

You know, kinda like tabletop D&D right? Yea, that's not gonna last, right? Plotting

4. Re: Over a Million New DDO Unlimited Players Feb 26, 2010, 17:47 Acleacius

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo