Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Website lets us know we'll always have Taris, as they have posted a new Star Wars: The Old Republic Developer Dispatch called Returning to Taris, describing efforts to re-colonize the post-apocalyptic planet. Also, Issue 27 of Threat of Peace is online with the final installment in the web comic supplying the back story for the Star Wars MMORPG. Word is the new issue: "concludes the volume with a surprising turn of events as Jedi Knight Satele Shan, Fortris Gall, and Special Forces Lieutenant Tavus report their battle with the Sith to Master Orgus Din. The story comes full circle when Braden the Bounty Hunter finally completes the contract which got him tied up in this mess in the first place."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 27, 2010, 07:22 Kxmode

This is pretty much the only MMO I'm looking forward to. I could actually see myself making it my primary MMO if its more fun than WOW.

On a side note I really like Allods Online. It's got a handful of bugs but overall it's fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 27, 2010, 05:47 NKD

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 14:32:
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, though - the chances of this being a basically re-skinned WoW clone are astronomically high.

I don't know. It seems less likely every day that this'll be some kind of WoW clone. Why would it take companies like BioWare and LucasArts, who are spending an obscene amount of money on this project, 5-6 years to develop a game if it was just going to be a WoW clone? And that's with a licensed engine that is purpose-built for fast MMO production.

If it were any other company I'd say "Maybe they are just incompetent and development is stalling out." But that seems unlikely here given the caliber of personnel they have, and BioWare's track record.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 27, 2010, 00:35 Silicon Avatar

The game looks cool. I wish the Star Trek MMO had been made by the same people.  

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 23:04 Cutter

Well, this will be the next big thing...untill Blizzard's new MOG. Still wish to hell I knew what it was.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 20:38 Nucas

isn't the projected release for this like fucking 2011? it feels like fucking carpetbombing, the amount of media they're releasing for something so far down the pipes.  

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 19:53 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 17:41:
I'd take more WoW art style then say, Everquest 2 where everything looks like it's made of plastic (Doom 3 anyone?).
Yeah but shiney plastic skin is the only way to go! Doom3 didn't get out of the uncanny valley. It hit bottom and kept digging.

I like the way the KoToR art is going, seems close to the original which I enjoyed.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 17:41 The Half Elf

I'd take more WoW art style then say, Everquest 2 where everything looks like it's made of plastic (Doom 3 anyone?).  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 15:44 Longswd

I agree on the art style, more cartoonish than I care for. Playing a Sith Inquisitor when he looks like Dirk Daring will be difficult. I really wish they had gone with a more realistic look.

I don't always drink carbonated Mexican rat piss, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 14:32 JoeNapalm

I would have expected nothing less - they have one of the most richly detailed IPs ever created at their disposal.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, though - the chances of this being a basically re-skinned WoW clone are astronomically high.

Even the direction they're taking the art seems to be designed to sooth the average WoW player into an incrementally different environment.

Hope I'm wrong - this has so much potential - but, let's face it, Star Wars has a long history of buckling under to the marketing goons (Prequels, I'm looking at you).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Updates Feb 26, 2010, 14:20 Creston

One thing I will say: They're building an absolute FUCKTON of background story for this game.

It might be the first MMO that gets me back to playing MMOs.

Creston

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo