Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers

Two more trailers are now available from Supreme Commander 2, showing off another pair of exotic experimental units in the real-time strategy sequel being developed by Gas Powered Games. One trailer shows off the mighty Universal Colossus, the successor to the Galactic Colossus from the first game, a mech which GPG's Chris Taylor says is "one of the most incredible units in Supreme Commander 2." The other trailer depicts the Noah Unit Cannon. Chris Taylor describes how units can be constructed inside the cannon, so that when the time is right, they can be fired across the battlefield and right into the action. Both clips are embedded below.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Mar 1, 2010, 12:20 MrBone

I find all the hate being thrown at this game highly amusing and sad. A single player mission in a demo is hardly indicative of the final product. I personally could care less about single player as MP/Skirmish is where the fun lies. Graphically, if you have a high-end system, the game looks better than SC1. Period. Take a gander at the Commanders. The economy model is actually quite interesting. It allows you to follow a very specific path with your existing units and encourages you to keep them alive. There was always tons of clutter under the old setup IMO. I for one will give this game a chance and pass a verdict after playing the MP for a week or so.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 27, 2010, 03:37 Flo

I for one relish the reduction in complexity since I dont have the time any more to be the nerd I was and put so many hours in learning and handling a game. Good times are over...

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2010, 03:46.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

31. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 27, 2010, 02:06 Creston

Darks wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 18:52:

And thank you Grifter you just verified what I have been trying to get across here about the Tech tree, people looked at it but didnít utilize it correctly then sit here and complain about why my turrets are dying and they canít kill anything. Well use the tree like its mean to be used upgrade properly and you will see itís not like some are complaining about.

Congratulations on becoming the biggest freaking tool on Bluesnews. Which takes some doing, considering the people we've got around here.

You're right, I never used upgrades, that's why my turrets can't kill anything. I dreamed the fact that I bought every upgrade on every map. I also dreamed that none of these upgrades affect the turrets' damage in any way, since it only affects units.

Go fucking shill somewhere else. You bleat about shit nobody said, then when I slap you around your dodo ears with facts, you ignore what I said and make more shit up. I'm glad you like the game. Go play it, and stop bleating bullshit.

Creston

30. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 21:22 Prez

Like I said, the only potential deal-breaker I see here for me is the incredibly dumbed-down economy. Compared to the first game, it is so simplistic as to be near moronic.

I can't say that the graphics are as good as I expected; there were actually times during the demo when I found myself thinking the first game actually looked better. Call it a change in art style; I call it a BIG step backwards. I can live with weak graphics but it's a shame that they are so weak compared to the original, which wasn't exactly a graphical powerhouse to begin with.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 18:52 Darks

Ill comment on the maps, yes there are much larger maps in the game wide open maps like the original game has. Give it time, yes they only gave you a small taste of the game and yes there are aspects that they took away.

Yes there are always things that either make or break games because users are basing their prior experience on the original game.

The map you get that some believe are more like Demigod is not what this game has thoughtout the game. Believe it or not this engine is a highly modified version of the original.

Iím not understanding how many think the textures are bland. I donít see it that way. They just moved in a different direction with the art.

And thank you Grifter you just verified what I have been trying to get across here about the Tech tree, people looked at it but didnít utilize it correctly then sit here and complain about why my turrets are dying and they canít kill anything. Well use the tree like its mean to be used upgrade properly and you will see itís not like some are complaining about.

Again, I think some people will never be happy with the game no matter what GPG does to cater to one crowd over another. There will always be someone whoís not happy that things are not done the way they think it should be.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

28. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 18:32 mag

After fiddling with it a little longer I have discovered that they completely broke the ferrying system. That's unforgivable.  

27. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 17:40 Prez

I played the demo for about 2 hours. I was going to post some of the things I was disappointed with, but in light of the overwhelming negativity towards the demo, I'll say what I liked.

The action is very similar to the first, which for me is a good thing, as I totally dug the action in the first one. The game seems much better optimized this time around, and the familiar birds-eye map is back and just as helpful as it was in the first game. The zoom still scrolls very smoothly between down in the action and up in space. It seems a little easier to select different types of units inside enormous armies, which was always a source of frustration for me in the original. The sense of scale, with big stompy robots, massive battleships, and huge armies is very good, as it was in the first. The overall Supreme Commander "feel" is definitely here, which is something I was concerned about.

The disappointments are the standard ones for any game re-designed to fit on consoles - over-simplified mechanics, smallish maps, weak textures and graphic assets. How much this will detract from the game overall will remain to be seen. I get the feeling those were fairly early maps, so I would hope that as the campaign goes on the maps would get bigger and allow for more varied tactics. Overall, the way-too-streamlined economy is probably my biggest concern at this point. The skirmish and multiplayer are still big question marks for me. Hopefully there will be a mp demo soon.

Overall, I can easily say that I liked this demo a lot more than most everyone else here.

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 17:15 Grifter

What shielding? You mean the shield generators you can't build in the single player portion of the demo? And why would I need to shield my turrets, if the AI only attacks me with a small group of Wasps? Did you even bother reading what I typed? Are you even literate?

umm Creston actually in demo you can build shielding you have to unlock in structure research

But another point about the game that is lame is there is no sort of obstructable objects u can build such as dragon teeth or walls.

And the way the game is setup with the lack of any real need for economy or resource management means this is going to be nothing more than a rush fest on multiplayer

and thats sad

the depth is simply not there and it only caters to one style of play.

I am so not seeing the strategy in this game

can someone please explain to me where the strategy is in this game

cause i sure as hell can't find it

25. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 16:00 Drayth

Darks, I'm thinking of what it would be like to play two early'ish missions from any of the campaigns in SupComm 1 and I honestly think I would be far more impressed and see far more potential for the full game then I saw in this demo.

As has been pointed out the experimental sub was a joke. At the end when these three big crawler units showed up, the game was like "Oh's nose!" yet my small fleet of ships (just one battle cruiser mixed in with 'em mind you) pounded them with no trouble in a matter of seconds. Severely anti-climactic.

Id love to see that you're right, and the full game is great.. but this IS a piece of that full game I've played and it didn't cut it. Creston's views are spot on.. and I like his alternative title for this game and agree with what he said there.

I wanted a game that surpassed the original, I have serious doubts it's gonna be at least AS awesome.

--Edit: having said all this, I have to give major props to the developer for providing a demo in the first place. That at least secures a budget pick up at some point if nothing else.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2010, 17:18.

24. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 15:30 Belzabub

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 00:43:
I was pretty underwhelmed by the demo. Plastic graphics, the awesome UI interface of the first game is all but gone (since, after all, you can't recreate it on a fucking Xbox controller, so why bother keeping it for the PC?), the experimentals are no longer titans of the battlefield, but rather mildly impressive units that die from a dozen normal units being thrown at them. (I sent 8 submarines after a Kraken, and the Kraken died while killing two subs...)

The maps that used to be huge and awesome are now small crappy affairs. Defensive weaponry is worthless. (I had 18 or so heavy anti-air turrets, and they still couldn't shoot down 6 enemy fighters.)

Gone are the Tech Levels, instead being replaced with a fairly extensive research tree. Sadly, that research tree is pretty much the same for Air, Land and Sea. Bonusses to health, bonusses to damage, bonusses to regeneration, less cost to purchase/build, unlock 3 other units, and a few experimentals.

Also, the research tree is unlocked by research points, which you simply gain as time goes on. (And you can speed that up by building more Research Labs.) The two missions in the demo have no time limit or any reason to hurry in them, so it's perfectly feasible to build half a dozen research labs, wait 15 or so minutes, and unlock all upgrades.

All this is not to say I didn't have any fun at all. The two missions were okay, pretty standard RTS fare. It just doesn't feel like SupCom. And I just don't get it. The original SupCom, plus FA, sold a ton of copies (somewhere in the 1.4 million range, IIRC.) So why fuck with it so badly? Why turn it into a generic, 13-in-a-dozen RTS that feels like it's from 1996?

I had high hopes for this game, it was probably my most anticipated game of the year after Mass Effect 2. Sadly, for me it doesn't deliver. YMMV.

I'll likely get this when it hits 20 or 10 bucks on Steam. It doesn't feel worth 50 bucks to me.

Creston

kind of what just cause looks like to me plastic graphics

23. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 15:10 Creston

You're really nothing more than a GPG shill, but sure, I'll adress your comments.

Wrong, just because you are playing a demo with 2 maps does not mean that the maps are small.

It means that the maps that I've seen are small, and they're crappy to boot. This isn't Demi-God. I don't need maps that play out on the forehead of a titan. I want a big landmass and water that looks marginally realistic, as opposed to some child's lego set.

Try playing the MP portion and you will find your large 10K and 20K maps.

Which does me WHAT good in single player, exactly?

And I know no idea what you were doing but how about building some shielding to cover those turrets.

What shielding? You mean the shield generators you can't build in the single player portion of the demo? And why would I need to shield my turrets, if the AI only attacks me with a small group of Wasps? Did you even bother reading what I typed? Are you even literate?

And sorry but again you are wrong about the turrets i have played at least 50 games now in MP and the turrets will shred air units.

I'm sure that your awesomely pirated version has really unique turrets that do something. The single player maps in the demo have "Heavy Anti Air Turrets" which are about as effective as the UEF Tier One Anti-Air turrets were in SupCom1: ie, utterly worthless.

There's a squadron of enemy gunships that patrols near your base in the second single player map (to guard against your fatboys.) I built four turrets in range of those gunships, and not only did the gunships not BOTHER to attack my engineer while he was building those turrets, they also did not bother to attack the turrets when they were finished. Instead, they kept flying their patrol route. Unfortunately, the turrets didn't really do much in reply. They fired consistently at the gunships, and did fuck all worth of damage.

Later I built an Experimental Gantry, from which I built a few C-1000 experimental gunships. Apparently the AI felt those gunships were really scary, because it sent about 8 wasps to kill them, straight across my base despite the fact they were all the way behind my base, behind ~ 15-20 turrets. Instead of taking the long way around... (oh wait, it can't, because the map's too small, and you can only fly over the "path-able" area, rather than being able to fly across the empty sky to the side of the map)

The wasps just kept on flying, right over those turrets. Not one of them was shot down or even seriously damaged when the Wasps showed up at my C-1000s.

But sure, YOUR turrets are awesome.

Sorry, but you canít achieve full research with a dozen labs in 15 mins.

In both levels I attained full research in about 25 minutes, or at least as full as I was allowed to research, and I built about 8 labs. I'm sure that in YOUR version it takes a lot longer.

Iíve tried it, it does not work that way, the AI will rip you a new one if you try. They go after the labs that they feel threatened by.

What the fuck ever. You mean that AI that lets me build turrets RIGHT UNDER HIS GUNSHIPS' patrol path? And doesn't do ANYTHING about it? That fucking wonderful AI? Or are you talking about the skirmish AI in your pirated copy? See, demo players can't play skirmish. We can only play the AI in single player mode.

Also how about you try using those upgradeís to get your units health and attack up? Maybe then those units Wong get ripped apart so easily.

You mean all those upgrades that specifically say "DOES NOT AFFECT EXPERIMENTALS"? I should use those to upgrade experimentals' health? Rolleyes

Go fucking shill somewhere else. You're full of fucking shit. You've never even played this game.

Creston

22. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 14:48 Darks

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 00:43:
I was pretty underwhelmed by the demo. Plastic graphics, the awesome UI interface of the first game is all but gone (since, after all, you can't recreate it on a fucking Xbox controller, so why bother keeping it for the PC?), the experimentals are no longer titans of the battlefield, but rather mildly impressive units that die from a dozen normal units being thrown at them. (I sent 8 submarines after a Kraken, and the Kraken died while killing two subs...)

The maps that used to be huge and awesome are now small crappy affairs. Defensive weaponry is worthless. (I had 18 or so heavy anti-air turrets, and they still couldn't shoot down 6 enemy fighters.)
Wrong, just because you are playing a demo with 2 maps does not mean that the maps are small. Try playing the MP portion and you will find your large 10K and 20K maps. And I know no idea what you were doing but how about building some shielding to cover those turrets. And sorry but again you are wrong about the turrets i have played at least 50 games now in MP and the turrets will shred air units.

Gone are the Tech Levels, instead being replaced with a fairly extensive research tree. Sadly, that research tree is pretty much the same for Air, Land and Sea. Bonusses to health, bonusses to damage, bonusses to regeneration, less cost to purchase/build, unlock 3 other units, and a few experimentals.

Sorry, but you canít achieve full research with a dozen labs in 15 mins. Iíve tried it, it does not work that way, the AI will rip you a new one if you try. They go after the labs that they feel threatened by.
Also how about you try using those upgradeís to get your units health and attack up? Maybe then those units Wong get ripped apart so easily.

Also, the research tree is unlocked by research points, which you simply gain as time goes on. (And you can speed that up by building more Research Labs.) The two missions in the demo have no time limit or any reason to hurry in them, so it's perfectly feasible to build half a dozen research labs, wait 15 or so minutes, and unlock all upgrades.

All this is not to say I didn't have any fun at all. The two missions were okay, pretty standard RTS fare. It just doesn't feel like SupCom. And I just don't get it. The original SupCom, plus FA, sold a ton of copies (somewhere in the 1.4 million range, IIRC.) So why fuck with it so badly? Why turn it into a generic, 13-in-a-dozen RTS that feels like it's from 1996?

I had high hopes for this game, it was probably my most anticipated game of the year after Mass Effect 2. Sadly, for me it doesn't deliver. YMMV.

I'll likely get this when it hits 20 or 10 bucks on Steam. It doesn't feel worth 50 bucks to me.

Creston

21. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 14:35 Darks

Whatever Verno, you would know a good game if it came up and smacked you. Youíre just a hater of the game and thatís very obvious! So do us all a favor and go play something else.

I suppose because you gave it a 10 min test you think you have seen all there is to this game and that doesnít even begin to touch the surface. Dumbed down? Oh really how so? Because there is nothing dumbed down. The only thing they have done from the original is make it a lot easier and quicker to get your economy and units going. So really what do you know? You havenít even played the MP portion of the game. I have and the more I play it the better it gets!

20. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 13:57 Creston

LittleMe wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 01:53:
Creston thanks for your insights. Yeah, too bad really. Consoles won this round.

No prob.

It's not a BAD game by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said, I did have fun playing the second mission, with the tons of Fatboys. But it's just not SupCom.

If they had called this "SpaceWar: The RTS!", I'd probably be far less disappointed than I am now. But SupCom was fucking glorious. It had a UI that set the bar for other RTS's to follow. Playing SupCom was a joy because of the magnificent UI, and I loved it because you could build these awesome turtle bases all over giant maps.

All that is basically gone.

I think I'm gonna go replay FA, and lament what could have been.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2010, 14:14.

19. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 12:54 swaaye

Grifter wrote on Feb 26, 2010, 10:45:
If I remember correctly TA had a classical score for music, Not new age music. And the music for that game was amazing for the time

SupCom 1, FA, and TA all had their soundtracks composed by Jeremy Soule. You can hear some of TA in SupCom at times. TA's soundtrack is the best IMO.

18. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 11:10 JaguarUSF

Everything negative that's been said is sadly true. They removed all of the advanced aspects of the original game (the economy, experimental units, defenses) and dumbed them down and simplified them for the consoles. Sad, this.  

17. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 10:45 Grifter

If I remember correctly TA had a classical score for music, Not new age music. And the music for that game was amazing for the time  

16. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 10:43 Silicon Avatar

The best thing about TA was the new age music track.  

15. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 10:34 Lord Tea

Mr. Taylor has been preaching "innovation" - which is exactly what SupCom 2 seems to be lacking.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

14. Re: More Supreme Commander 2 Unit Trailers Feb 26, 2010, 09:55 Grifter

I too have to agree with Creston.

This game is seriously dumbed down. compared to vanilla supcom and fa. Hell I would even be willing to say that even Total Annihilation is more impressive now than this is.(at least from a game play perspective)

The thing that gets me about this game is Chris Taylor in all this talk about strategy and then I play Supcom 2 demo and I am like well where is the strategy.

You can have 10,000 experimental units in the game but if there all nerfed like the ones I have seen thus far what does it matter.

Furthermore experimentals in vanilla Supcom and FA were a serious threat when they appeared on the battlefield and they all had a tactical purpose making them game changers when they appeared on the battlefield.

The dread of these units is just not present in this game at all. and there advantage on the battlefield seems to be more of a fashion statement than any sort of real tactical advantage or threat when they appear on the battlefield.

I am thankful for the demo because in the end it saved me 50.00 bucks

Hopefully this game will do poorly and in doing so will cure Mr. Taylor of his Consolitis. If that happens I will rejoice when I hear that Supcom 3 is being made because I will know then that we will get the Supcom we should have gotten in Supcom 2

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2010, 10:05.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo