Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

OSX Steam Coming?

A post to the Steam Users' Forums makes the case that a Mac OS X edition of Steam is in the works, something that was speculated about earlier this year when a Valve help wanted for Mac and Linux engineers surfaced. The post shows some code for an OS X menu and a bunch of OS X icons found in the Steam client. Thanks Total Gaming Network.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 04:03 Sepharo

BobBob wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 02:04:
The new Steam UI is horribly sluggish.
I have not experienced this yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Game Reviews Feb 27, 2010, 02:04 BobBob

The new Steam UI is horribly sluggish.  

33. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 27, 2010, 00:19 Sepharo

For some reason I only just now got the new Steam ui.

Holy smokes that is one hot ui.
I work with wpf but this looks and feels even slicker.

I also like the PC feel to it, something for gamers who want nice small print and lots of details on every page.

Totally off topic but it has me thinking about it now, anyone know if they improved the menus and spawn interface on BF:BC2 or is it the same crap from the beta?

32. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 26, 2010, 18:25 SectorEffector

You're an idiot. I am running it in OSX.

It's a blizzard game and it runs natively in OSX, columbo.
At the Blizzard site you can download the Mac Client or the Windows Client.

I will quote you best. "Wow, you just don't get it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

31. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 26, 2010, 11:49 Surf

"Starcraft II Beta on my Mac 8600M GT powered MacbookPro Laptop, In OSX"

Let me guess, running Bootcamp and either booting to Windows XP, Vista or 7?

If so, you just don't get it do you Mac user? Wow, you just don't get it.

TRY RUNNING THAT GAME ON YOUR OS!

30. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 23:54 wtf_man

I have a Mac. I use it for everything but gaming. (Using it right now for this post.)

Obviously, I also have a Windows Gaming Rig... purely for gaming, as well as numerous other Windows and Linux machines at home for different purposes. I also control over 1600 Windows machines at work and I'm heavy into MS Technologies such as Powershell to help me do my work.

That said... Steam for the Mac is pretty frickin' useless when there are hardly any games available for the Mac... At least hardly any worth buying that hasn't already been bought for Windows. And of the older games that wouldn't tax my piddly little Radeon 2400XT in my iMac, Boot Camp can do the job better than a Mac port.

Unless there is a sudden surge of AAA games available for the Mac... this is pretty stupid, and I highly doubt it will make the big game developers start making Mac ports.

Apple getting away from gaming was one of their biggest mistakes. My first computer was an Apple ][ and it was far superior with gaming than the IBM machines of the era.

Oh well.

29. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 23:42 Sho

Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2010, 22:51:
Damn Sho, where did you get all info?

Software developer by trade, lots of Linux/Unix/OSX :).

28. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 22:51 Sepharo

Sho wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 22:47:
[.............]
Exciting times.

Damn Sho, where did you get all info?

Steam for Droid plz

27. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 22:05 kanniballl

I used OSX almost exclusively at home between 2007 and a few months ago. I work w/ XP.

I like OSX more, but it's not leaps-and-bounds better than current Windows. The biggest thing I like is that installing an app is *usually* fairly modular: you don't need DLLs and stuff copied to some system folder. I also enjoy the UI a little more.

That being said I've switched back to Windows with a midrange Dell.

Many Apple zealots argue that Apple hardware is superior, but my Laptop has 2 big design issues and a recent attempt at a new iMac was a disaster.

Laptop had bad USB+Keyword problem that ook them 1.5 years to address. If I haven't typed for a few minutes, my first keypress would not be recognized from either built-in or USB keyboard. Then it suffered from an nVidia 8600M issue.

The iMac had a bunch of video problems as well as the DVD drive scratching discs.

I'm not saying that Macs suck or anything, but I don't think their hardware Q/C is worth the markup, even if the markup isn't that high on some of their more recent hardware.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 18:43 SectorEffector

I'm safe and I render all the time and game more than 3 hours a day.

OS wars.... Let them begin muahhaha!!

rofl Linux is without a doubt the best.

Mac is just fancy artsy opengl rendered unix

and Win 7 is not so bad really =)

still tho linux is just ridiculous. In the end open source everywhere is just amazing.

friend's Laptop died, Apple replaces all defective 8600 GPU's and replaces it free of charge. I will still keep my fingers crossed I guess.

25. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 12:47 BobBob

SectorEffector wrote on Feb 25, 2010, 07:08:
lucky me

Looks like even PC owners are affected.

very biased site btw.

Just game for less than one hour a week and you might be safe.

24. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 11:32 JoeNapalm

Seriously? OS wars? Still?

It's the 21st century, and humans are still jumping around thumping their chests like the primates they are.

Yes, your tribe can beat up their tribe. Or OS. Or preferred gaming platform. Or whatever.

*rolls eyes*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

23. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 10:27 kanniballl

BobBob wrote on Feb 25, 2010, 05:25:
8600M is a death sentence for that GPU. A ticking time-bomb of overheating and meltdown.
Yup, mine died a few months ago. I hadn't used my laptop as a gaming rig much since 2007, though the instant I started playing Champions Online for a few months it tanked.

My Dell STILL hasn't arrived, I went ATI this time.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 09:17 Verno

There's multiple sources for that anyways, it's definitely true. The 8800GT's have started failing in droves too which is leading people to wonder if Nvidia purposely let a big batch of potentially defective units go out.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

21. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 07:08 SectorEffector

lucky me

Looks like even PC owners are affected.

very biased site btw.

19. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 06:17 SectorEffector

sidenote: I don't even use the laptop coolers, and use it as a music device for live shows where it's hot as hell and I can't afford for it to crash, this laptop is a beast.

I will admit cus of some physical bumps I did have to open it up and fix my Superdrive one time, and after alot of use in smokey rooms for shows I had to reapply a drop of lube for two logic board fans, to remove some noise.
I've always used PC's since 486 DX2 days etc, and DOS. I just prefer to use Linux on my main Desktop Rig and for a laptop I feel this Macbook has done is job in full and then some. Playing Bioshock 2 on it recently, and borderlands with my friends.

aka. Say what you will I've owned the thing and really treated it like shit ( i can admit I'm a rough owner) and it's still running strong. I just dust it out every now and then and make sure the fan's are working smooth, other than that it's fantastic.

ie. Macbook Pro rendering .sgi / .tga animation sequence at around a frame per 30 mins or so for 3-4 day's straight running hot, constantly day after day rendering.
It's doing workstation jobs. if you place it on a hard surface that transfer's heat in any way your in luck.

18. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 06:05 SectorEffector

Meltdown?? got it way back 2007, hardcore game in OSX and XP and do 3D Animation on it all the time in OSX... I'll be sure to let you know if your 'meltdown happens'.

note: You may be referring to the recall for the bad 8600m's that was awhile back. Where indeed they were not soldered to the logic bored completely. No problems here

17. Re: Game Reviews Feb 25, 2010, 05:25 BobBob

8600M is a death sentence for that GPU. A ticking time-bomb of overheating and meltdown.  

16. Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 05:16 SectorEffector

"Mac gamers is a lie!"

Hahahahahahah

I laugh at all you haters as I play the Starcraft II Beta on my Mac 8600M GT powered MacbookPro Laptop, In OSX. ( game is liquid beauty)

I've been playing a Cider'ed version of HL2 for a long time now too

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo