Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Beta

Steam News announces the availability of a new beta version of the Steam client, which is available to anyone willing to opt in to the beta. This page outlines all the new features in the new version, including new friends features, a news aggregator, improved game library management, and more.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 25, 2010, 09:25 Ecthelion

I like it (and the UI update is long overdue), but like a few others here I hope they don't remove the Games mini-list (it's gone in the beta). I prefer a minimal view for my games list.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 14:42 theyarecomingforyou

I'm loving the new look and functionality, especially the download manager (finally!). However, is it just me or has the games mini-list been removed? It's not the end of the world with the new browsing methods but it would be nice. And the interface can become unresponsive at times, so there's still some work to be done. Still, overall it's a HUGE improvement.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 11:18 raVen

Deltas of files are surpisingly small. you should read up on incremental backup systems if you think it's HUGE.  

27. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 11:06 Verno

Runs fine for me, they used some improper bounding boxes for text which makes the text cut off in Windows 7 but that's easily fixed up in the next build. Really like it, big step up from the previous client.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

26. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 10:35 xXBatmanXx

Very cool features....guess I will wait with all of the reports of issues with the new BETA version....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 10:19 Prez

From what little I've seen, the new beta is a major improvement. Looking forward to the new release.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 10:16 Vulkan

Your system restore is making snapshots of your entire Steam Apps folder? Dear Lord... How much space are you wasting on that?

By default, about 5% while running 7 and 15% while running Vista, this is running on a 1 terabyte drive so, nothing really noticeable with my 7 installation.

It makes snapshots of changed files on the entire partition, with emphasis on the word changed.

Everyone is "wasting" that 5% or 15%, this is default behavior since Vista unless you turn it off for some strange reason.

23. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 06:14 [THA] Hamst3r

Looks good.

I hope they expand on the functionality of the categories, as right now they're not particularly useful; too tedious to use.

- The Hamster Alliance
http://www.hamsteralliance.com/ (music)

http://twitter.com/hamst3r | http://www.facebook.com/hamsteralliance | http://www.youtube.com/hamsteralliance

22. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 03:06 I've Got The News Blues

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 01:31:
Your system restore is making snapshots of your entire Steam Apps folder? Dear Lord... How much space are you wasting on that?
By default Windows 7 uses 1% of the drive for the system restore/shadow copies. It's a customizable option which can be set like the Recycle Bin size in XP. And, you can disable it for a drive or turn the feature totally off if you don't want it.

21. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 02:33 KilrathiAce

When will Valve have option of using 64bit Steam client? I ask this because when playing crysis or crysis warhead 64bit client (memory wise improvements) one cannot use steam overlay. This is big since in few days another update is coming for Mechwarrior Living legends.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

20. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 01:41 Caveman

I lost my friends list but after a few hours I got it back.  

19. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 01:31 Creston

Vulkan wrote on Feb 24, 2010, 01:23:
I'm surprised I didn't think of it before, but those who lost files and are running Windows 7 can simply restore them using the system restore feature. Quit Steam and right click on the partition where the steam folder resides, click properties and select the previous versions tab, pick whatever restore point is most convenient and just copy whatever files you're missing. In my case I just dragged over the entire Company of Heroes folder, restarted and Steam picked it up.

*blink*

Creston

18. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 01:23 Vulkan

I'm surprised I didn't think of it before, but those who lost files and are running Windows 7 can simply restore them using the system restore feature. Quit Steam and right click on the partition where the steam folder resides, click properties and select the previous versions tab, pick whatever restore point is most convenient and just copy whatever files you're missing. In my case I just dragged over the entire Company of Heroes folder, restarted and Steam picked it up.  

17. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 01:06 PHJF

Is this the beta that lets you change the icons for games without adding a shortcut overlay that covers up the entire icon?  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 24, 2010, 00:17 Creston

RaZ0r! wrote on Feb 23, 2010, 20:55:
Redownload the games, what FUD are you spreading?

Check the forums, it's happened to a lot of people including me.

I re-downloaded 11GB of MW2 after opting-in. I have FiOS so it's no sweat off my ass. It's not the end of the world, fear not! If you have a slow connection, you might want to consider not opting in, just in case it does happens to you. Don't panic you will be fine.

And you are quite welcome for the heads up!

I appreciate the warning, man. The thought of redownloading games on my 756k connection almost makes my teeth bleed...

Edit : Thank God, CUSTOMIZED LISTS FOR MY GAMES! AFTER SIX YEARS! GLORY!

Creston

15. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 23, 2010, 23:42 Caladell

Yep, redownloading Tales of Valor and Opposing Fronts. No biggie I suppose, but still rather annoying. Store doesn't work at all, nor does the community page. Next to the little store icon, it says testshell-error
UI looks really nice though; I'm quite impressed with it. As has been said, it's been needed for quite some time.

14. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 23, 2010, 22:56 CannibalBob

This beta's really good so far. My laptop, which has like 30 games installed, did not require any redownloads.

Only thing bad about it is the compact list view is gone; but this is a beta and I suspect Valve'll re-add that in the future.

"If you like it, they will stop making it" - Herblock's Law

13. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 23, 2010, 21:55 Techie714 ©

New Steam update = GREAT!!!  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 23, 2010, 21:48 xXBatmanXx

list is back.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. Re: New Steam Beta Feb 23, 2010, 21:38 Midnight

Opted in, also had to redownload MW2... couldn't be bothered. Haven't touched that game in months, not worth it.

Great update though.

http://www.crimsondark.com

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo