Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow

The next patch for BioShock 2 will be released in the wee hours tomorrow at 2:00 am PST, which is 5:00 am EST. The update will fix the field of view on widescreen monitors so 16:9 resolutions will no longer be letterboxed versions of 4:3 resolutions, also fixing an issue where holding the M1 button would not register in multiplayer play. Word on The Cult of Rapture is that 2K Games is also working on a larger patch: "Our next BioShock 2 PC Patch is due out tomorrow. You'll be able to download the patch starting at 2 AM PST on Tuesday, February 23rd. This patch is small because we focused on getting it out quickly to fix a couple high priority issues the community had, rather than roll them in to a larger patch that would take longer to reach you. We are working on a larger, more extensive patch now and as testing nears finalization I'll update you on that patch's download date."

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 23, 2010, 17:17 ^Drag0n^

But still, would the framerates be decent? I'm not defending their position of omitting the hardware, I'm just wondering if it would even be playable. My (totally unscientific) observation is that the games released in the last 12 months need the speed of the RV400 and G80 series chips to not be a slideshow and still look worth the money you shelled out for them.

I mean Fallout 3 "runs" on a 6800ultra, if by runs you mean a 16fps slideshow with the texture detail of a Flintstones cartoon

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 23, 2010, 07:02 Dev

^Drag0n^:
If you examine the steam hardware survey it lists the 2.0 models:
ATI Radeon 9600
Intel G33/G31 Express
Intel 82945G Express
Mobile Intel 945GM Express
ATI Radeon 9550
ATI Radeon X300
Mobile Intel 945 Express
ATI Radeon X600
ATI Radeon X550
ATI Radeon 9800
Intel 82915G Express
Mobile Intel 82915GM/GMS
SiS Mirage 3 Graphics
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP
VIA Chrome9 HC IGP
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9650/9700
ATI Mobility Radeon X600
ATI Mobility Radeon X300
ATI Radeon 9500/9700
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
Other

A lot of older stuff or integrated intel stuff, but also including things like ATI x600, x300, or the hugely popular 9800 ati generation of cards (like 9600, etc).

19. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 23, 2010, 06:31 theyarecomingforyou

Shader model aside...would you get decent framerates on SM2 generation hardware? That's, what, GF6xxx and Radeon 8xxx series, no?
Actually, it was perfectly viable at the time. It was only the lack of SM2.0 support that prevented the game from running. Not only that but it didn't warn you, it simply produced a black screen. I had to upgrade my graphics card to run the game, as I had an X800XL at the time.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 23, 2010, 00:18 ^Drag0n^

Shader model aside...would you get decent framerates on SM2 generation hardware? That's, what, GF6xxx and Radeon 8xxx series, no?

Just asking, as I really don't know.

^D^

17. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 21:02 Kxmode

I'm watching an episode of Batman: The Animated Series entitled "Deep Freeze". If I didn't know any better I'd say someone at Irrational Games copied it! Don't believe me? Watch the episode for yourself and decide. The episode originally aired November 26, 1994.  

16. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 20:58 Dev

DangerDog:
I'm well aware that there was a fix made by someone else that fixed the problem within days. But we were talking fix from the devs. And what makes it even more embarrasing, there was talk about him (the guy who made the BS1 fix) getting in touch directly with the devs so that they could possibly use his fix so they could patch it in a hurry... (I think they even sent him a graphics card), and after all that it still took them months to fix.

Acleacius:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Its down to something above 16% and below around 30% at a guess. The reason is because there's 16% that are specifically 2.0 shader model, and then valve says dx9 3.0 and 2b shader category is around 13%. So I don't know how much 2.0+2b would be. So if they require shader 3 they are excluding 16% (up to perhaps 30%) of the average gaming market.
But you can see that the people running dx10 are only about 6% so that any game that REQUIRES dx10 (like shattered galaxy I think is the name) is only able to sell to about 6% of the total average gaming market.

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 2010, 21:05.

15. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 19:17 AdamK47

NKD wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 17:53:
I dunno. I managed to fix the FOV manually on day 1. With the amount of bitching though I guess I'm one of the few gamers who isn't lazy.

That's one way to do it, but as soon as the game zooms in and zooms back out the FOV goes back to 75.

14. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 19:16 AdamK47

Good news. I bought the game a few days ago and couldn't play the game more than 30 minutes. The vert- is very apparent and just knowing a fix was on the way made me put it down until it was released.  

13. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 19:15 Acleacius

Did they only use Shader 3 again? Att Bioshock was released STEAM, said 40% of their members were interested but only had Shader 2.+ cards. Instead of easily fixing it, 2k opted to lose about 20% of their sales. Probably only lose about 10% of their sales this time if they ignored Shader 2 again. Still 10% is nothing short of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars.

Wonder if anyone will remember that the next time they or some other publisher complains about piracy to cover up their stupid arrogance.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

12. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:51 RaZ0r!

Junk. That is all.  

11. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:49 DangerDog

There was a utility made by someone on the widescreen forum that worked for BS1, it was released within the first week of the game being out.

10. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:48 SirKnight

fail.  

9. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:44 Dev

SquirrelZero:
Yes, they had same problem in BS1. But they tried to explain that was how they intended it to be, and I think it was more like 3 months after release they finally fixed it not 1 week

8. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:14 Fion

Oh wide-screen fix. Nice.

Course, I'd much prefer a patch that makes the game actually work for the 'thousands' of people who've made posts about the subjects on the games forums. I haven't been able to play for weeks, after the game running without issue for the first few days. Some 'fixes' have worked for me, only for the game to decide it doesn't want to work the next day. Multiple fixes and multiple times the game has said 'oh you got a few hours of gameplay in ah? Not any more. Here a new crash bug for you!'

Fix the game 2K or I will forever avoid anything else you make.

7. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:05 ^Drag0n^

I think he's saying he fixed it with a one line console bind, rather than waiting for 2K to patch the default setting. He's not talking about coding prowess

I'm glad to hear they patched it out, though. I'll probably install it tonight and give it a whirl now that 2-or-so patches have come out for it.

^D^

6. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 18:02 necrosis

Why does this patch exist?

This should have been handled before release.

5. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 17:59 Overon

I dunno. I managed to fix the FOV manually on day 1. With the amount of bitching though I guess I'm one of the few gamers who isn't lazy.
No offense, but really? What do did you do other than bind it to a key and then have it jarringly change fov constantly as use iron sites?

4. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 17:56 DangerDog

You could sort of fix it, but it would constantly reset when you switched weapon view to look down the sights for example.

You could add the "| setFOV #" to your forward movement key but it's a little jarring to have the screen snap from low FOV to higher one so often.

3. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 17:53 NKD

Nighthawk wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 17:49:
Seriously? A brand new cutting edge game didn't come with widescreen?
it's not like it's new technology!

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

2. Re: BioShock 2 Widescreen Patch Tomorrow Feb 22, 2010, 17:51 SquirrelZero

Not only that, they patched Bioshock 1 for the same issue only a week after release. Whoops!  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo