Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders

Ubisoft announces preorders are now being accepted for Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic and Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Gold Edition, two versions of the submarine simulation due for release on March 4. The Gold Edition will be released via digital distribution, offering a couple of perks, including "seven unique submarines and enemy ship skins," which sounds quite familiar to the "7 unique submarine & enemy ship skins" promised with the Collector's Edition announced in January. Images of some ship models accompany the announcement, and here's word:

Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic hails the return of the number one submarine simulation. For the first time, the player will be able to play as a U-boat captain leading his crew from a first-person view in a true dynamic campaign. Operate against Allied shipping across the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea and participate in famous encounters with strong enemy warships.

The Gold Edition will be available for download only and will contain seven unique submarines and enemy ship skins. The Gold Edition will also include the Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Official Guide containing 110 pages of crew details, submarines, ships and weapons as a pdf on the build.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

20. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 17:30 DangerDog

Waits for the not so funny Youtube video of Hitler ranting about Ubisoft's DRM scheme for SH5.

They don't even sell the Collector's Edition in the US, we get the $59.99 digital distribution "Gold Edition", pay more - get less.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 17:17 KilrathiAce

Too bad the game will require to be constantly online, so if you lose connection you may "sink"...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

18. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 17:07 Paketep

Here's another sale lost to Ubi's "we managed to be worse than StarForce and SecuROM combined" DRM.

A pity, the game looks great and Ubi Romania are nice guys.

17. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 17:00 Ioandar

Sad news for me. Love the Silent Hunter series but will not support stasi DRM...  

16. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:55 Narf2029

Slippery Jim wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 16:09:
I think most gamers never visit forums and won't know about the DRM. Yes, their sales will be affected, but not by as much as we hope. The average gamer has A.D.H.D. and won't sit still long enough to actually READ.

I don't think we need to worry about whether or not the average sim player reads things.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

15. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:53 Narf2029

If the Gold Edition comes without the DRM, I am so in!  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

14. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:49 S2M

Love the Silent Hunter series but won't be picking this up because of the DRM.

Fucking morons.

The thickness of your ignorance, it's like a fucking shield that repulses insight.

13. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:31 ASeven

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 16:19:
I think most gamers never visit forums and won't know about the DRM. Yes, their sales will be affected, but not by as much as we hope. The average gamer has A.D.H.D. and won't sit still long enough to actually READ.

The average gamer is not going to play a fucking U-boat Sim.

Yeap, though I think it would be a great service if everyone went to the sim communities and just ensure everyone knows about this DRM.

ubi doesn't deserve one single sale over this DRM, nor one single pirated copy either. That would send a loud message indeed.

12. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:19 Creston

The average gamer is not going to play a fucking U-boat Sim.

Creston

11. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:18 Creston

Valtyr wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 15:52:
Damn it. I really wanted this game until UBI announced it's new soul-eating DRM scheme.

And no, I don't plan on pirating the game in protest. I'll just spend my money on something else.

Thank you. At last someone with common sense.

Creston

10. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:17 Overon

UBISoft's suicidal DRM means no buy from me.  

9. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:14 Mashiki Amiketo

Well being a sim fan I woulda got this, but no more for me. Thanks super-intrusive DRM which I can't use while I'm travelling. Because internet access is very common in some of the middle of no-where places I go(like former soviet satellites. I'll just keep playing my modded copies of SHIII and SHIV which are very nice thanks. At least then I only have to worry about the power being shitty and cooking my laptops.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:09 Donkey_Punch

7. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 16:00 Darks

I hope this game has horrible sales and sends a loud and clear message to Ubi that this type of DRM will never be tolerated.

No sale for me either!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

6. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:57 Moog

No sale!

Ubisoft's DRM = the end of another great game series.

5. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:57 ASeven

I wonder if all SH communities know about ubi's DRM by now. If not, they should know.  

4. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:52 Valtyr

Damn it. I really wanted this game until UBI announced it's new soul-eating DRM scheme.

And no, I don't plan on pirating the game in protest. I'll just spend my money on something else.

3. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:49 Iridium

Yeah. I've got SH2, 3, and 4, and then bought 3 and 4 again in a cheapo Steam pack to stop futzing with DVDs. I'd have gone for 5 hook, line, and sinker. But there are limits of acceptable DRM.  

2. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:48 JoeNapalm

That, and SHIV was such a buggy PoS at launch that you'd have to be mad to preorder this one.

A friend of mine just recently reinstalled SHIV and said it was mostly ironed out now...but it's been what? Three years?

It may have been stable for awhile - I wouldn't know, I gave up after about the third patch that ignored most of the game-breakers.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

1. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 15:44 Burrito of Peace

The Gold Edition would have been an insta-buy for me. However, the DRM that Ubisoft plans to implement with this title has squarely moved it to the "Not a chance in Hell" category.

Pity, I really like the SH series.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo