Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising

THQ announces Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising is gold, and Relic's expansion for their RTS sequel is expected to rush US stores on March 11. Word is:

Developed by award-winning internal studio Relic(R) Entertainment, Chaos Rising features the traitorous Chaos Space Marines army as a playable race, a new single-player campaign, a level cap increase from 20 to 30, more powerful war-gear and a suite of innovative multiplayer options. Scheduled for a nationwide release at all major retail and online outlets on March 11, 2010, Chaos Rising will be available as a Games for Windows LIVE(R) PC title for a suggested retail price of $29.99.

"Chaos Rising is the perfect follow up to Dawn of War II, 2009's RTS Game of the Year, offering an incredible amount of new content for an amazing value," said Travis Plane, Vice President of Global Brand Management, THQ. "Relic Entertainment is the industry's leading RTS developer and will once again deliver bone-crushing action, breathtaking visuals and unprecedented innovation in the genre."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Game Reviews Mar 3, 2010, 07:53 BobBob

Not going to buy any game that requires GFWL with its activation limits. Forget it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 23, 2010, 09:36 Verno

GFWL actually works with this game, I don't get the issue. 15 install limit is something I don't like in theory but I can't see myself ever hitting it in practice. The GFWL functionality itself works fine with DoW2, in fact it's the only GFWL game where GFWL hasn't driven me nuts. Matchmaking works well with strategy games, though I use the term strategy loosely when describing DoW2. It's basically DotA with continuity.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

28. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 23, 2010, 01:50 Xirix

The GFWL thing was driving me nuts. Next time i'll be sure to check if a game requires GFWL.  

27. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 22:02 Boston

In case anybody's unaware, DoW2 has irrevocable 15 installation limits. Chances are DoW2:CR's activations are tied to your DoW2's (they're tight-lipped about their DRM). Please make informed decisions!  

26. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 18:55 HoSpanky

While I was disappointed at the lack of base building in DOW2, I DID play the demo and knew what I was getting into ahead of time. Considering the entire SP campaign is playable online co-op, It's quite a bit of fun. I have not touched the multiplayer portion.

If you're looking for a "proper" RTS that lets you play thru it co-op...Red Alert 3. It wasn't advertised NEARLY as much as the actual C&C series, but the single player campaigns are lengthy, non-repetitive, and completely ridiculous. Again, I haven't played much of the actual multiplayer component, so I don't know if it's well-balanced.

25. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 18:44 Flipper405

Notch another vote for those that really enjoyed DoW2... I'll pick this up once it's on sale.  

24. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 17:07 Rossafur

I too like to be able to hold onto units and actually enjoy watching the fighting, not just spam units (and never ever consider pulling them back to hold onto them) and never be able to remain looking at one area for more than a second. And in that regard DoW2 didn't even go far *enough* for my liking. (but then it can be argued that I'm just generally a slow person anyway)
I haven't been able to understand why they haven't made a game (or MP mode) for WH or WH40K more in the style of the Total War games, (especially in the MP realm) where you just have a set amount of points, and then you select what units with what equipment you want to field for a pitched battle. Seems like that would translate pretty perfectly from the tabletop... But then my friend who has played the tabletop for years pointed out that Games Workshop might be against it because it'd take away from the tabletop more than an entirely different type of game that could still cross-promote, and there may be something to that.

23. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 16:38 derelict koan

Verno wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 13:48:
DoW2 was "ok" and by ok I mean that it's multiplayer component was at least enjoyable. The SP on the other hand was an abomination that simply is not an RTS game. That's fine to some people I'm sure but coming from DoW1, I wanted a Dawn of War RTS game.
\

Yep spot on, I'm still playing DOW1 and loving it.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

22. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 16:08 kimbambaman

As someone who usually does not play RTS games, I really enjoyed the SP campaign of DOW2. The SP campaign of DOW2 is more like an action RPG with some straightfoward tactics thrown in. Already pre-ordered my copy of Chaos Rising and looking forward to it! Not to mention, I am also enjoying the free copy of Saints Row 2 Steam is including. =D  
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

21. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 15:28 Creston

Each unit counts in Dow2? Really? Because if a squad 'dies', you just reinforce it.

It's RTS dumbed down to the most extreme level.

Still, hey, if people enjoyed it, more power to them.

Creston

20. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 15:23 entr0py

I really enjoyed DoWII. I know it's just a matter of taste, but for the most part I loved the changes they made to the standard RTS formula. Here's why I liked it:

1. The game is pretty and the animations are great. It might be shallow, but I could never get as deeply into supreme commander or the recent C&C games because they're just so ugly or uninteresting to look at. Relic set the bar pretty high with DoW1 and COH. But it seems other developers are simply ignoring the bar.

2. I never liked the extensive base building and resource gathering of games like Starcraft. Often it just seemed like a stressful and constant distraction from the fun part of the game. Though I don't mind the simplified base building of games like TLoTR:TBFME

3. I also never liked the expendable unit meat grinder type of RTS games. Queuing up hoards of puny units and sending them to their death without even having time to watch them die is not fun. In DoW2 each unit counts.

My only criticism is that they took the single player campaign in a completely different direction. The single player campaign of the original DoW (not the later expansions) was great.

19. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 15:01 Creston

I'm heavily on the fence about this one. I enjoyed DoW2 to an extent, but it became so freaking monotonous. Just fight on the same ten maps over and over and over again. Have absolutely no different units to play with in single player. No base building of any kind.

Why was it even still called an RTS?

From the looks of it, this will be exactly the same game, just with a few new units. (and not even that new, since Chaos Space Marines is just Space Marines in blue...)

Creston

18. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 14:57 Verno

Flatline wrote on Feb 22, 2010, 14:49:
Except for the boss fights. Sadly, those didn't involve very much strategy/tactics. Wade in, throw everything you have at the boss, pop invulnerability when the boss is about to throw his uber-attack, wash, rinse, repeat. Good idea, crappy execution there.

The tactics are essentially using cover and abilities intelligently. That's not strategy and it barely qualifies as intelligent tactics as much as just being common sense. To each his own, I don't begrudge anyone from enjoying it more than I did but I will say if you consider this an RTS then you should be shot out of a cannon and forced to play Halo Wars

Someone below even said that the "DoW1 base building was tedious" when it required all of 2 minutes of your time in each game. I can see someone finding resource management in RTS games to be a bit of a pain but I struggle to sympathize with the people who find controlling more than 4 squads to be too difficult.

17. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 14:50 TurdFergasun

The SP game is barely an RTS. You might as well just go play Diablo. It's fine to say that you loved it but comparing it to Starcraft 2 is hilarious. That game is an actual RTS where you require strategy instead of hero abilities to win.

DoW2 was "ok" and by ok I mean that it's multiplayer component was at least enjoyable. The SP on the other hand was an abomination that simply is not an RTS game. That's fine to some people I'm sure but coming from DoW1, I wanted a Dawn of War RTS game.

qft

16. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 14:49 Flatline

The SP game is barely an RTS. You might as well just go play Diablo. It's fine to say that you loved it but comparing it to Starcraft 2 is hilarious. That game is an actual RTS where you require strategy instead of hero abilities to win.

It was more of a tactical game than a strategy game to be sure, but it hardly wasn't the mindless click fest that Diablo was. I probably would have enjoyed if the control points gave you requisition to reinforce instead of free reinforcements, that would have made taking territory a little more important, but otherwise it was more like the old Myth games than Diablo.

Crank up the difficulty to maximum and try to wade in and slaughter everything mindlessly and you *will* have your ass handed to you.

Except for the boss fights. Sadly, those didn't involve very much strategy/tactics. Wade in, throw everything you have at the boss, pop invulnerability when the boss is about to throw his uber-attack, wash, rinse, repeat. Good idea, crappy execution there.

15. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 14:00 PHJF

Exactly.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 13:48 Verno

13. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 13:44 RTSNut

I thought DoW2 was awesome. It could have had less repititon in the SP game than it did, but loved it through and through. The fact that they then dropped last stand mode out for free just sealed the deal for me. After playing with the SC2 beta this weekend, it just fell flat for me. I've played this game for the last 12 years. I expect something a bit more dynamic and new from a game that took that long to make. Yes, of course I'll still buy it, but damnit I won't enjoy it!  

12. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 13:35 Tumbler

I liked the MP side of this game but I felt like they shot themselves in the foot when they drastically changed it right before launch. I like the beta gameplay a lot better than I did the new version that dropped days before shipping. The MP game was good but it needed more upgrades and units for all the armies.

There is a huge upgrade coming at the same time as this expansion that is supposed to include a lot of new upgrades for the existing armies. Techmarine is getting a metla gun, Assault terminators can get lightning claws, devastators can get las cannons, there isn't anything official yet besdies the new unit or 2 each army is getting but the forums suggest there is a lot more coming at the same time that isn't officially on the table yet.

I'm guessing the other armies are getting stuff as well...i'll spend the $30 even if it only gets me things i don't care about if they'll confirm what's being added to the armies I do care about. But they havne't done this yet so I guess I'll wait...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

11. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 13:13 SpectralMeat

I also liked DOW2. I didn't play much MP. The single player was enjoyable and I liked the leveling up and RPG elements of the game.

I don't think I will get the expansion pack just yet. Maybe later down the road.

Steam: SpectralMeat

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo