Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2010, 21:05 xXBatmanXx

I graduated with comp sci in 2001. Got a job as a DB programmer right out of university, been there ever since. My role's changed a bit. I make .NET apps now. I make pretty good money doing what I do for a relatively low stress job and never have to work overtime. So I wouldn't quite say it's "laughable". While no profession is absolutely secure, there are worse than this one.

Surprised you have landed and kept a job in that market post y2k. I assume your starting pay was a hell of a lot less than the graduating year before you, or you had an internship or something similar with the company you worked for.

Know a lot of people that got F'd while in college during the y2k bit. Glad I was already working. Pre y2k, 100k+ starting was normal, plus bonuses, etc. Post y2k, that dropped to 40-50k starting.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2010, 09:52 Bundy

I graduated with comp sci in 2001. Got a job as a DB programmer right out of university, been there ever since. My role's changed a bit. I make .NET apps now. I make pretty good money doing what I do for a relatively low stress job and never have to work overtime. So I wouldn't quite say it's "laughable". While no profession is absolutely secure, there are worse than this one.  

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 20:49 xXBatmanXx

Want a job? Get a computer science degree.

Laughable at best.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 20:36 RenownWolf

The job market is a crazy thing indeed.

A degree isn't the only thing you should gain however, you should come out of uni with a few portfolio projects under arm assuming you're a programmer. If you're in it for the networking side of things, get into some volunteer work for big events setting up their networks and make sure to get yourself some pretty letters saying how fantastic of a job you did. Both requires giving up social time and making effort, but that's what job hunter want to see.

A degree is just a piece of paper and proves you can complete 3+ year of something and you test well in exams. Doing the job on hand is another matter altogether.

http://www.renownwolf.com

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 19:42 Veterator

Based on my experience, a computer science degree does not mean you will end up with a job in any sort of position related to it. Given how often in jobs in tech fields fluctuate it's almost akin to gambling your 20-40 grand on a degree.

I went into my computer science degree in 1997, got out in winter of 2001. In my area, roughly 3 months later there was the bubble burst..and I was competing against people with 10 and 15 years experience on entry level positions.

Since that time, entry level positions listed usually want people attending school on a part-time basis or 1 quarter out of the year. Anything else they want 5-10 years experience.

It might just be my area, it might just be horrible luck on my part. But anytime a school is trying to entice people into a degree because of a theoretical "high paying" job on completion is bull....they don't have any idea if there will be another bubble burst or fall out as you near graduation. My particular school had aides that would help you prepare for jobs, none of them knew what I was listing on my resume for potential employers. So they couldn't appreciate my representation of my experience, they couldn't communicate how I should change it for better appearance (because when they'd say to make a change, it didn't make a bit of sense when you read it in context of someone with any technology/programming language knowledge).

My friends from the school ended up with jobs, mostly because where they interned/co-oped hired em on after graduation.

Hell there aren't even many tech jobs listed in this area anymore, most people I know of switching jobs or getting hired on elsewhere are just because they know someone there...the job never officially gets listed.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 16:30 Creston

1) Want a job? Get a computer science degree: then you too can man a helpdesk for 10 bucks an hour, until they outsource your job to a guy named Pradip Madahandrahuda (Dave to his friends).

2) Google Energy. Seriously? Google is going to shoot itself in the foot with this, because the energy industry is regulated out the ass. Once they start hearing the words NERC-CIP and FERC, they're going to wish they'd never started...

Creston

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 14:40 DangerDog

One stipulation in the regulatory filing is that permission to buy and sell power is conditional on Google not owning the means to generate or transmit power itself, so it will be interesting to see how Google gets around that.

Who says they would want to get around that, sounds like Google is going to pick up where Enron left off.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 14:05 skyguy

I and several good friends graduated with CompSci degrees in 2002. We're all gainfully employed.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2010, 13:09 dubfanatic

Want a job? Get a computer science degree

aaaaaaahahahhaahhahahaahhaahahhaah fucking hilarious

comp sci is the art history of science degrees

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo