Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Ubisoft DRM

More details about Ubisoft's controversial online DRM scheme are available on Ars Technica, where they spoke with Ubi about how DRM in the Settlers 7 will operate, learning that details on the system may vary from game-to-game, and that Internet interruptions in the upcoming strategy sequel will not cause players to lose any progress, unlike what we recently learned about Assassin's Creed II, and that momentary connection glitches will simply pause the game. A more complete quote on the topic follows.

"Where exactly you are reconnected in the game may differ from title to title. Settlers 7 reconnects at the exact point where the connection was lost, AC2 reconnects you at the last checkpoint (and not the last auto save, as indicated in the CVG article). There are many checkpoints so you're back to the point where you got disconnected in no time."

We were assured that only happens if the disconnection is lengthy. If you're cut off for just a second or two, the game simply pauses and continues on. Ars was also told that nothing will happen if your connection slows down. "Our online services platform will require a maximum of 50kbps of available bandwidth, so even with the slowest connection, gameplay wont be affected."

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 25, 2010, 09:37 Verno

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2010, 07:32:
No, I was thinking more along the lines of Anno 1404, Settlers 7, Silent Hunter 5, etc. How many other big publishers still fund games like this?

Yeah - this is really killing me. Who else in the industry is still putting out flight sims? I'm pretty sure I can fly a real A-10A fighter jet after playing Lock-on as much as I have. And who knew the Russians had so many awesome flying machines of death in WW2? I've flown them all for dozens of hours in Oleg Maddox's masterpiece IL 2. Ubi's sub sims have been some of the most thrilling and satisfying gaming I've ever had in 30 years of gaming.

When someone like me - a guy who has seen Das Boot about 50 times (in German, natch) and continues to be entranced by Jurgen Prochnow's absolutely brilliant performance as Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock every time, and still cringes when the boat is finally sunk at the end... when a hardcore sub sim junkie like me says they aren't even going to consider buying Silent Hunter 5 because of the DRM, that is a huge deal. Other hardcore simmers will undoubtedly be joining me in that I'm certain.

Good points Prez. It would be one thing if this was Crytek who only put a single FPS game once every three years but Ubisoft has a pretty diverse catalog of IPs, some of them are very niche genre games as well. I'm a big Silent Hunter fan as well and not being able to play Silent Hunter 5 is a huge disappointment.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 22, 2010, 09:05 GibMonkey

Wow, that is just retarded. I mean really, who would buy Silent Hunter 5 with this kind of DRM? Like that market isn't already niche to begin with. I mean, I almost want to laugh because of its' ridiculousness, but in reality it is almost perverse in the way it treats a real-life law-abiding consumer. Crazy.  

41. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 13:43 Dev

GibMonkey:
There's another interview with PC gamer (one of the larger in print magazines about PC games) linked on blues today. Its not a joke. Its real.

40. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 12:03 Lord Tea

Flatline wrote on Feb 21, 2010, 09:24:
That's my big question. It's not enough to upload save games- at 50kbps (or something around 6 kilobytes a second) it's going to take 5 minutes to transfer a save file, so I doubt it will peek at 50kbps. Even if it saturated at 50kbps, that's a hell of a lot of bandwidth for effectively a keepalive.

I wonder what else it's doing...

how about:
* collecting all the data on your gaming computer
* monitoring your progress with the game
* live-feeding in game commercials to whichever game you're playing
* updating/pachting the game whenever they want to

etc. etc.

UPSA = United Police States of America

39. WTF?! Feb 21, 2010, 11:27 GibMonkey

This has to be an April Fools prank. I cannot believe someone would actually state this in an interview and think it's a good idea. If this is real this is totally f*cked up.  

38. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 11:08 tuddies

Let's fuck their bottom line - boycott UBI.  

37. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 11:06 eRe4s3r

If they really meant this as average then that would mean it will use the full upload bandwith available when it needs it....  

36. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 09:24 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 19:48:

"Our online services platform will require a maximum of 50kbps of available bandwidth

And what exactly is your fucking platform doing with 50kbps per second? Have fun not selling any games, cockwallets.

Creston

That's my big question. It's not enough to upload save games- at 50kbps (or something around 6 kilobytes a second) it's going to take 5 minutes to transfer a save file, so I doubt it will peek at 50kbps. Even if it saturated at 50kbps, that's a hell of a lot of bandwidth for effectively a keepalive.

I wonder what else it's doing...

35. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 07:32 Prez

No, I was thinking more along the lines of Anno 1404, Settlers 7, Silent Hunter 5, etc. How many other big publishers still fund games like this?

Yeah - this is really killing me. Who else in the industry is still putting out flight sims? I'm pretty sure I can fly a real A-10A fighter jet after playing Lock-on as much as I have. And who knew the Russians had so many awesome flying machines of death in WW2? I've flown them all for dozens of hours in Oleg Maddox's masterpiece IL 2. Ubi's sub sims have been some of the most thrilling and satisfying gaming I've ever had in 30 years of gaming.

When someone like me - a guy who has seen Das Boot about 50 times (in German, natch) and continues to be entranced by Jurgen Prochnow's absolutely brilliant performance as Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock every time, and still cringes when the boat is finally sunk at the end... when a hardcore sub sim junkie like me says they aren't even going to consider buying Silent Hunter 5 because of the DRM, that is a huge deal. Other hardcore simmers will undoubtedly be joining me in that I'm certain.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 07:52.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

34. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 05:33 Dev

Overon:
My guess is that they figure assassin's creed players are hardcore gamers who won't at all mind replaying what they figure will be the rare hour or so when they get disconnected since they are hardcore. In reality I think quite a large percentage of people have occcasional quick reconnects. Whereas they figure settlers players will be more casual perhaps with less good net connections, who would get more peeved at losing progress, especially since perhaps many causal players never bother to manually save the game until they exit.

I think nearly all of those things they are thinking will turn out to be very incorrect in reality.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 05:43.

33. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 03:14 Jerykk

P.S. Feel free to do a little research before posting snide comments kthx.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 03:22.

32. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 03:13 Caveman

It's a shame that Ubisoft is resorting to this DRM because they are one of the very few big publishers that still makes PC-exclusives.
^This is why you don't go full on retard.

31. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 03:09 Acleacius

Right, where you learn that? You mean something like assassin's creed as PC exclusive, becasue we all know that was designed for the PC exclusively. Right, we know that, don't we?  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

30. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 00:31 Jerykk

It's a shame that Ubisoft is resorting to this DRM because they are one of the very few big publishers that still makes PC-exclusives.  

29. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 21, 2010, 00:14 Overon

So they have different implementations of this DRM scheme. In Assassin's creed it kicks you out. In Settlers 7 it pauses the game? How is different experiences for the same DRM scheme good for anyone? I can't think of a more recent development, not even the lack of dedicated servers for PC call of duty modern warfare 2, that is more anti consumer than this DRM scheme.  

28. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 21:55 KilrathiAce

I admit I don't buy much of UBI games, but I owned all Silent Hunter games to date and was planning to buy SH5, but now I will have to wait and see how things evolve with this drm. I will have to say, I hope there will be "ways" after you buy the game to still find and download a "fix" ( if you get my drift) that lets you play game even if offline.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

27. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 21:18 CythrawL

Someone needs to send Epic Beard Man to Ubi for some justice...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4OnhnvczTk

26. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 21:07 anyawow

I have just registered and left a forum message to ubisoft regarding their new customer hostile DRM.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4811054957/m/6811098728

I was very much looking forward to purchasing Silent Hunter 5, but, now I will not support this over the line DRM scheme.

25. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 20:53 Donkey_Punch

Creston wrote on Feb 20, 2010, 19:48:
I can't wait for all their games to tank, because then who are they going to blame?

Why the pirates of course.

Personally I think, just like Microsoft, they are intentionally trying to kill off the last of PC gaming while still attempting to make a little money from the clueless.

Maybe pissing people off is more effective than to just stop making crappy PC ports.

24. Re: More on Ubisoft DRM Feb 20, 2010, 20:03 Dev

LOL that kills off any modem customers. Requiring more modem bandwidth than the average 56k modem connects at. According to steam survey, there's still about 3% of average gamers using dialup modems.

Plus, even though that seems small, its gonna eat up the limited bandwidth allowance of people that pay thier ISP for limited gigabytes monthly.
Do the math, its over 500 megabytes a day of transfered data. WAY TO GO UBISOFT!
And note that they said its a "platform"? My guess is that it will install as a separate program and run 24/7 when windows starts up, not just when the game is going. In 30 days that will consume 15 gigabytes.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo