Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban

A violent games ban is under consideration in Switzerland, reports MCV, saying a couple of resolutions are under consideration by the Swiss parliament. One measure would make it illegal to purchase games with no PEGI rating and tightens rules about presenting ID to purchase adult games. Another, more restrictive, measure is also under consideration that would enforce an outright ban of adult titles.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 20:16 Dev

Selektaa:
Why else would someone's rear brake lights stay on or flicker constantly except if a person was riding the brake? And if they are riding the brake, how can they ride it along a freeway while going at a constant speed unless they are driving with two feet? One foot driving means that you are pressing accelerator or brake, but not both at once (the disadvantages would still apply if they were doing cruise control but riding a foot on the brake). I could understand it being a malfunction if it was very very rare, but its not that rare.

Google up two feet driving, you'll see a fair number of people saying that they and everyone in thier family does it, and they think its better. Heck there's some of those yahoo question links where someone asks if its ok and all the replies say yes do it its better.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2010, 20:21.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 19:42 Selektaa

I don't know if that's really true. Have you actually asked any of these people if they drive with both feet? Personally, aside from a race track, I don't know ANYONE who drives with their left foot for anything but the clutch. It's possible, sure, but I think it's more likely that these people just aren't paying attention and have no concept of engine braking.  

6. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 19:06 Dev

This has worked so well in Austrailia.

About the tapping on the brakes, its likely from someone who drives with both feet on the pedals, one on the brake pedal, one on the gas pedal. If you see a driver going along whoose brake lights flicker on occasionally you can tell they are a two footed driver.
This is dangerous (in several ways, not the least of which is wrong signals to the guy behind you) and adds extra wear and tear on the vehicle (both from engine working harder to counteract the light brake pressure and the brakes wearing out and heating up much quicker). I'm not sure why people do it, perhaps in a mistaken view that it decreases reaction time to a problem ahead? I think the biggest chunk of time between a problem happening and starting to brake is the human element of recognizing a problem and starting to move, not the time it takes for your foot to move and slam on the brake. And I think many people probably react faster/stronger with the right foot anyway. Plus if you are driving smart and see a potential issue ahead of time you will have already moved your foot off of gas to brake pedal and heightened your alertness.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2010, 19:11.

5. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 18:09 NKD

This will make Hellbinder happy.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 15:18 Wildone

I seen people who drive and talk on their phone, they cant keep a straight line, tappin on their breaks for no reason and no signaling lane changes or turns.  

3. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 12:49 Narf2029

That's the problem with career politicians. They all just do whatever they think will keep them in office for another term.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

2. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 10:46 Stanly Manly

Politicians are funny. Human beings (not to mention every other living organism to have crawled out of the primordial ooze) have been killing each other in many gruesome ways for eons longer than video games have been around.

Scapegoats are a great political platform though. In Oregon, a law recently passed that banned talking on your cell phone while driving. However, you can still use your laptop, read a book, look at a map, eat, put on makeup, turn your head and yell at your kids, fall asleep at the wheel, or just plain be a road raging jerkhole, and that is all good and dandy. But don't talk on your phone...

1. Re: Switzerland Mulls Violent Game Ban Feb 19, 2010, 10:20 Nameless Again

Funny. I thought Switzerland was historically neutral.  

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo