Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Apologies in advance for what I think will be a disrupted day of news updates today, as a couple of disruptions are on my schedule today that will throw things off kilter. I can't say for sure how this will work out, but hopefully it will be okay.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: POD Fighter.
Boxhead Bounty Hunter.
Cream Wolf.
Stories: Human Spider Climbs up Walls Using a Vacuum Cleaner.
Movie Theaters Threaten To Ban Alice In Wonderland. Thanks Digg.
Science: Marijuana Provides Pain Relief, New Study Says. Thanks Acleacius.
Our world may be a giant hologram. Thanks dakslf.
Hey, who let the Tron guy on the ice? Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: What if Hitler made a Hitler Parody Video?
Can He Make The Dancing Hexapod Robot Happy?

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2010, 12:14 Stormsinger

Yeah, that poor attempted-mass-murderer (he may have only killed one, but he sure tried for bunches)...he had it so bad, little more than a nice home and a private plane. What a horrible life.

I'm still curious just -what- he expected to happen when he set out to twist or manipulate (which sounds a bit like defraud) the tax system... Did he really expect a powerful bureaucracy to just roll over and play dead for him? Sounded like he brought most of his troubles on himself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 21:50 PHJF

What's up with the olympics, first I hear them using the Brisco County Jr. theme song and now I believe hear them using Sunshine's music during their little inspirational athlete profiles.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 21:03 Sepharo

Wow Cutter you just brought back some really bad memories.

he nods and points me over to the forms window. I go over and ask the woman if I can get this form. She replies she can't answer the question. I ask, as in you're not permitted, or don't know. I can't answer the question she says again dismissing me out of hand. Excuse me?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 21:00 Sepharo

Shattered Horizon free weekend on Steam.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 19:40 mch

You can't tell me you haven't delt with your share of, seemingly at least, inhuman bureaucrats that make you want to kill them because they won't even put forth any simple human decency when dealing with you.

Of course, but I fail to see how this exempts him from being a hypocrite or a coward.

Thankfully most of us have never been royally assfucked by the taxman, but you can understand the guy's position that after so many times and so long of being treated like a criminal that he's going to snap.

I'm afraid I can't understand that. And I don't think Thomas Jefferson quotes or personal anecdotes will help me.

PSN: CaseDesignate

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 19:07 Cutter

So these working class citizens - regardless of whether they work for the IRS - are tyrants? You've got to be joking. The only person he killed was a man in his 70s. Funny, guess that guy didn't get to retire...which is exactly what this guy was so mad about: his lost retirement.

Well, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, right? You can't tell me you haven't delt with your share of, seemingly at least, inhuman bureaucrats that make you want to kill them because they won't even put forth any simple human decency when dealing with you. They have their tiny bit of power and want to use it to punish people as they can.

Hell, perfect example. 2 weeks ago I'm in traffic court - I dispute all my tickets - and the officer isn't present so case dismissed. I ask the judge if I can get a notice of dismissal on the premises for another case I have comeing up in a month, that's been well over a year since I submitted it for trial. He laughs outright and says he won't tell me the answer to the question. The prosecutor than gets all bitchy with me and says it's inappropriate to even ask. I get incensed - more with their attitude than the response - and ask who it is they work for? A few more words are exchanged before the judge tells me to leave or face a contempt charge. Contempt?! Asking public servants, whose fucking salary I pay for asking a simple question?

I then leave the courtroom, and ask the first cop I see, he nods and points me over to the forms window. I go over and ask the woman if I can get this form. She replies she can't answer the question. I ask, as in you're not permitted, or don't know. I can't answer the question she says again dismissing me out of hand. Excuse me? Once again? who the fuck is paying your salary? You can't even be civil enough to say, 'I' sorry, but we're not permitted to answer that question'.

I hit up another floor and ask again, and it's a young guy, obviously not a lifer, and he looks around like he's going to be breaking some commandment, and finally tells me, that, while, by law, they're supposed to tell us where we can get these forms, it's very heavily frowned upon because they want us to be frustrated, give up and pay the fine.

I mean, we all deal with this shit from time to time. Thankfully most of us have never been royally assfucked by the taxman, but you can understand the guy's position that after so many times and so long of being treated like a criminal that he's going to snap. Like the general said in Apocalypse Now, every man has a breaking point. So, no I don't think he was a coward or a hypocrite. He was just mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. And if more people did that, you can be damn sure we'd start seeing some changes for the better.

The reality, is we're all complicit, because we're all apathetic about politics. So long as we have a roof over our heads and 3 squares a day, we'll all mostly go along like good little sheeple. I spent a good 20 years heavily involved in politics and trying to change things for the better. Beating my head against the wall untill realizing that most people just don't give a shit so long as they got theirs. I could have just easily snapped and gone the way this guy did, but I went The Dude's way and just said, 'Fuck it.' instead. Life's got considerably easier since then. The screwheads have won.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 17:05 Creston

PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2010, 14:16:
Question to anyone in accounting or something similar:

Why hasn't anyone automated tax returns? Is it really necessary to slog through all these fucking papers year after year after year? Is this like some giant conspiracy aiming to keep H&R Block in business?

No, it's not necessary. The IRS will be MORE THAN HAPPY to guess your income and tax level for you, if you so desire. If you'd rather not pay 5 grand in taxes too much, you'll have to be a bit more specific and do some work.

As for it not being automated, well, there's Turbotax.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 15:47 mch

How do you mean?

Assuming you're asking about my 'hyprocrite' comment, since I think 'cowardly' is pretty obvious.

He rails against injustice to the middle class. He flew a plane into a building full of working class citizens.

Or more succinctly, TJ said it best...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is itís natural manure.

So these working class citizens - regardless of whether they work for the IRS - are tyrants? You've got to be joking. The only person he killed was a man in his 70s. Funny, guess that guy didn't get to retire...which is exactly what this guy was so mad about: his lost retirement.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 15:40 ForgedReality

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2010, 15:18:

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is itís natural manure.
I love how he says "It is it is natural manure."

Pshaw. Well-spoken, indeed.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 15:18 Cutter

Incredibly well-spoken, cowardly hypocrite.

How do you mean? He was angry, certainly, but he was also willing to take it to the limit with the ultimate act of revolt. The founding fathers understood the dangers of a system too deeply entrenched to effect real change for the better for the many.

Maybe you recall these words?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. ó That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, ó That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 15:00 mch

Just read the entire manifesto. Damn thing reads like a rant from Andrew Ryan.

Incredibly well-spoken, cowardly hypocrite.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 14:16 PHJF

Question to anyone in accounting or something similar:

Why hasn't anyone automated tax returns? Is it really necessary to slog through all these fucking papers year after year after year? Is this like some giant conspiracy aiming to keep H&R Block in business?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 14:02 strich

I read the manifesto. The guy was pretty well spoken. But I can understand how he'd be angry. I'd never go as far as he did.

My dad happened to be in the building next door to the one he plowed into. He got the rest of the day off.

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

5. Re: IRS Feb 19, 2010, 12:24 Cutter

Man, that was pretty whacky what with the guy plowing into the IRS building. Anyone else read his suicide note. He was spot on with a lot of things.  

4. Our universe might be a hologram Feb 19, 2010, 11:38 Fion

/head explodes

Very interesting read, hard to wrap your head around it. But earth shattering if it's true.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 11:37 fujiJuice

Dev wrote on Feb 19, 2010, 10:52:
Whats the deal with the pant "rip" bits on the skaters? Is that the latest fashion to rip out a bit near the crotch for the ladies? Or did they accidently rip the pants, or using really old suits or?

Looks like it's just a different fabric in that area, probably allows for faster and more natural leg movement, it looks like that's speedskating, not figure skating. However this is all conjecture.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 11:27 Ant

It's OK, Blue. Thanks for the warning.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2010, 10:52 Dev

Whats the deal with the pant "rip" bits on the skaters? Is that the latest fashion to rip out a bit near the crotch for the ladies? Or did they accidently rip the pants, or using really old suits or?

I don't keep up much on mens figure skating.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo