Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming

Richard "Lord British" Garriott has returned to the world of video games with a start-up called Portalarium, described in the announcement as having "a broad-based, open-social mission that will also see it expanding into content that includes open learning, open health, open science/environment, open government and much more, all wrapped in a connective virtual world in the online social networking space." The scope of that description is pretty impressive, but this journey is starting with the small step of a browser plug-in: "Portalarium’s first product is an innovative new cross-platform web browser plug-in that permits games developed on a wide variety of game engines and technologies – not just the pervasive Adobe Flash platform – to run seamlessly inside of the major popular social networks. Dubbed The Portalarium Player™, it is currently in limited beta testing as a Windows PC app on Facebook® and is running Portlarium’s [sic] first published title, a Texas hold ‘em card game called Sweet @$! Poker™. It already supports all major Internet browsers and is also in development to run within MySpace and other social networks, as well as on Macintosh and on mobile devices such as iPhone and Android."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 19, 2010, 16:12 Surf

RG doing other games is like a great Death Metal singer doing Rap. Some people are destined to do one style of whatever, whether that is music, painting, dancing, boxing what ever. Very few people can branch out to different things.

There is no real harm in trying but there is harm in persisting in something you have failed at miserably that could over shadow your past accomplishments.

As much as I loved the Ultima series, I don't think I am even ready for another one. Oblivion/Elder Scrolls just kicks too much ass for an Ultima to compete in these days.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 22:55 Silicon Avatar

If Garriot was interested in making Ultima style games again he would have started a new company and made a spiritual successor like Chris Taylor did with Supreme Commander.

I personally think he is burned out on it and probably will be forever.

In the mean time he is quickly spiraling down to the level of John Romero style has-been. That is harsh, and I am disappointed, but look what he's doing. Portalarium? Facebook games? Yeah...

29. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 22:46 Creston

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 09:08:
People who want Garriot to go back and do another Ultima game have clearly forgotten how bad Ultima 8 and Ultima 9 were.

Ultima 9 happened after Origin was sold to EA, and Ed DiFuckingCastillo of COMMAND AND CONQUER was assigned as executive producer. He actually came onto Origin's boards and started bleating that "Ultima is not about stupid things like a living city and being able to bake bread!"

I still hope the stupid fucker goes bankrupt for the giant SHITFEST that he turned U9 into.

Ultima 8 was a result of Origin taking the game in a new direction, and they took some chances that didn't really pay off well. Quite a few of the designers later admitted those mistakes freely.

Story-wise, Ultima 8 was awesome, and the different magic systems were fantastic as well. There were SO many combinations of magic you could do in U8, it was incredible.

Sadly, it turned into a giant aggravation because they turned it into Marioworld. (also, they later patched the biggest annoyances from all the floating platforms, such as allowing you to TARGET a platform with your mouse, so you'd automatically jump to it.)

U8 really doesn't deserve all the bad PR that it got.

U9, though. Dear God, what a fucking travesty.

Creston

28. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 12:24 ibm

Never played them, whenever people just say "Ultima" I think of early Ultima Online and Ultima 6.  

27. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 09:08 Silicon Avatar

People who want Garriot to go back and do another Ultima game have clearly forgotten how bad Ultima 8 and Ultima 9 were.  

26. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 05:49 ibm

Richard "Lord British" Garriott has returned to the world of video
Oh very interesting, I loved Ultima, can't wait..

games with a start-up called Portalarium, described as having "a broad-based,
Portalarium? hmm about as good as unobtainium...
open-social mission that will also see it expanding into content that includes
open social? what another mmorpg coming? well could be alright I guess..
open learning, open health, open science/environment, open government and much
what?
more, all wrapped in a connective virtual world in the online social networking space."
slits wrists

25. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 18, 2010, 00:10 wtf_man

Mangrove wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 11:37:
I'd love a new Ultima Underworld. Or an Arx Fatalis 2. Either is fine. Now, get busy. Stop with all this piss weak mmorpg tripe. Dogshit!

Richard didn't make Ultima Underworld... in fact it was conceived by his right-hand man at the time...

... Warren Spector

Who opened a little development sub-division of Origin Systems called "Blue Sky Productions"... which eventually became "Looking Glass Studios"... which gave us Ultima Underworld 2, System Shock 1 and 2, the Theif Series and a couple of non-mentionables like Flight Unlimited, etc.

Richard had little to nothing to do with Ultima Underworld.

EA still owns the rights but does nothing with them due to consolitis.

For System Shock, the rights are broken... too many companies have their hands in the pie, which is why Irrational Games made Bioshock instead of System Shock 3.

After Looking Glass went Belly Up... Half the team went with Warren to Ion Storm to make Deus Ex. The other Half went with Ken Levine to Irrational Games which maintained System Shock 2, then came out with Freedom Force, then Bioshock. (Ok, I don't know if it was exactly half... but the bottom line is Looking Glass split into 2 factions)

After Deus Ex 2 flopped, Ion Storm disbanded (might have been before... can't remember)... Warren moved on and eventually ended up with Disney. After Bioshock, Ken Levine and crew changed Irrational Games to 2K Boston.

So, 2K Boston is about the only thing left from Blue Sky / Looking Glass... however, Ultima Underworld was before Ken Levine's time... and they are under the publisher Take-Two, not EA.

Unless EA feels the need and uses a different development team than 2k Boston... we'll never see another Ultima Underworld.

Thus endeth the lesson.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2010, 00:25.

24. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 21:08 StrickNine

Richard, just make a new ultima online and show everyone what a real mmo is. Until then, I don't give a fuck what you do.  

23. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 20:02 Wolfen

New Ultima would indeed be cool.  

22. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 18:51 D_K_night

I concur, Richard, get your lazy behind BACK to Ultima please.  

21. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 17:58 Snozzle

"expanding into content that includes open learning, open health, open science/environment, open government and much more"

Sounds kinda like a 'blank slate' to me. Guaranteed win!

20. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 17:34 Tony!!!

Nucas wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 17:28:
maybe he and john romero can put something together.

LOL, I was going to make a John Romero comment too! Beat me to it.

-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

19. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 17:28 Nucas

maybe he and john romero can put something together.  

18. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 16:15 Talisorn

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 10:57:
Ricky baby...stick to what you're good at...Ultima. Buy it back, make a deal, whatever it takes. Get down on some new single player Ultima and maybe a new Ultima Online at some point too.

This x10!

17. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 16:03 JohnnyRotten

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 10:57:
...the planet-arium?

And now breathe deep as the stars being to slowly move...

16. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 15:37 Dmitri_M

A corner office with the words executive consultant on the door and the chair still covered in plastic six months from now.  

15. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 14:06 Riker

News of once-mighty game titans drowning in mediocrity brings me sorrow.  

14. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 13:22 Fuzzmatang

Valve should sue.  

13. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 13:08 Verno

osage no onna wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 12:32:
And wtf is Portalarium? Is that anything like the planet-arium?

My first thought was that it has something to do with portapotties. Combining that with a planetarium leads to some scary mental images.

Taking a dump in space has never been this exciting. He is redefining the genre. The demo will focus on your player's first epic shit in a zero gravity portapotty on Mars. Are you prepared?

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

12. Re: Richard Garriott Returns to Gaming Feb 17, 2010, 12:33 Creston

Wow, that's very... exciting?

The guy wrote some of the most fucking brilliant RPGs that have ever existed, and now he wastes his time making sure we can play Texas hold'em games in a browser across multiple platforms.

Creston

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo