Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Thanks to Cutter for pointing out I failed to wish everybody a happy Chinese New Year, as the occasion kicked off on the 14th along with Valentine's Day. Luckily, there's still a window for this, as the celebration runs for two weeks. It turns out it is now the Year of the Tiger, but I'm sure I'll be writing Year of the Ox on my checks for the next few weeks.

I know, it never gets old. Anachronistic running gags aside, it also turns out today is the 32nd anniversary of the first BBS, according to Boing Boing (thanks Ant). Here's an appropriate link for celebrating that one.

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Cover Orange 2.
Blosics 2.
Links: Mother Calls 911 While Baby is Choking, Operator Talks Her Through It. Operator is Baby's Father.
Ten of Film's Greatest Slacker Duos. Thanks Digg.
Stories: '24' halts production.
Thanks to Topps Promotion, You May Forgive Mom for Throwing Out That Card.
Science: Whole Genome of Ancient Human Is Decoded for the First Time. Thanks Kxmode via Slashdot.
State lawmakers attack climate change, evolution.
Media: Spy and Pyro.
Dodgeball World Record set by 1,200 U of A Students. If you can dodge 1,200 wrenches...
College Humor getting rid of the "Huh" sound on their videos.
Auction: John F Kennedy's love letters put up for auction.
Follow-up: Baltic the sea dog swamped in fan mail. Thanks brother19.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2010, 08:15 Zadig

I knew it was the year of the tiger from the "Canthan" (Chinese) New Year event in Guild Wars. It was weird to see 140+ active districts in Shing Jea Monastery on Sunday.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 21:06 Fang

kxmode wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 18:45:
strich wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 13:46:
Did you guys see the countdown?

http://www.flynnlives.com/zerohour/

or is this old news?

Is this the final countdown?

It's the final countdown
We're leaving together
The final countdown

13. '24' halts production. Feb 16, 2010, 20:24 Enahs

'24' halts production.

From the article.

"
Sutherland has been very conscious about his duties on the show. During the 2007-08 season, he opted to serve his full jail sentence stemming from his September 2007 drunk driving arrest in two installments to prevent any disruption to the series' production schedule.
"

Yeah, he is a great wonderful person and his so into his duties for the show. Instead of serving all his jail time straight in a row andbeing miserable like 99% of the people that go to jail, he went to jail just long enough to get kinda bummed out. He then left jail, probably banged a few hookers and do other stuff to raise his spirits back up, and then went back to jail!

Yeah!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 18:45 Kxmode

strich wrote on Feb 16, 2010, 13:46:

or is this old news?

Is this the final countdown?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 14:52 Cutter

Ahahaha! It really doesn't get old. Of all the Blue's holiday stuff, that line is still my fave. I love using that with other people.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 13:50 nin

Um...noooo?

Thank you!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 13:46 strich

or is this old news?

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 13:27 strich

While actual player reviews from BN would be nice, i was referring to something similar to the PC review section from other gaming sites. Something with a rating that covers the basics.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 13:19 BubbleMage

Mother Calls 911 While Baby is Choking, Operator Talks Her Through It. Operator is Baby's Father.

Shenanigans.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 12:51  Blue 

Yeah, that would be ideal. But at least some kind of sticky forum topic where users can discuss games they're playing. Right now all you can do is post or read something in a Ships Ahoy item or a game review item, but then it's gone in a couple of days.

Well, this is why Frans put some effort into reviving the general forums, which are intended for such uses:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 12:21 Ratty

I would love to see, even in a small section, an editorial column from Blue about what he's playing lately and what he thinks of it...
Yeah, that would be ideal. But at least some kind of sticky forum topic where users can discuss games they're playing. Right now all you can do is post or read something in a Ships Ahoy item or a game review item, but then it's gone in a couple of days. How are Blues Newsers enjoying Bioshock 2 now that they've been playing it awhile? There's really no place to find that out except the next time a Bioshock 2 related news item shows up. Maybe a sidebar section labeled "Popular Games?" I know there are lots of other places one can go to discuss specific games but I've kinda gotten to know a lot of the posters here and respect their opinions.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 11:36 nin

Do you have any plans to add console game reviews to the site?

I would love to see, even in a small section, an editorial column from Blue about what he's playing lately and what he thinks of it...

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 11:32 strich

Do you have any plans to add console game reviews to the site?  

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 10:54 Silicon Avatar

That spy and pyro thing was awesome.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2010, 10:47 nin

It turns out it is now the Year of the Tiger, but I'm sure I'll be writing Year of the Ox on my checks for the next few weeks.

I know, it never gets old.

It really doesn't. Every year I look forward to that joke and every year it still makes me laugh. Thanks!

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo