Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Previews

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 15, 2010, 11:17 Wowbagger_TIP

While I want the game, I refuse to support this ridiculous crap. No sale for me. I'm pretty confident that someone will strip out the DRM. Since that's the only way to play the game without supporting the assholes that decided to do this, and it's the only way to have a functional game without a 24x7 connection and reliance on Ubi's servers, it's actually the most appealing choice, and that's not even taking price into account.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 23:30 Narf2029

It's a terrible spot to be in. If you buy it, you tell Ubi that their DRM scheme is ok. If you don't, they ignore all the hate toward the DRM and instead say that making sub sims is not profitable anymore and that's the end of Silent Hunter. If you pirate it, they say their DRM scheme is justified and they only wish they had used something even more restrictive. Behold the future of gaming. The only way to stop it is to stop buying Ubi's products, but that will never happen. Sub sim enthusiasts are going to buy Silent Hunter V no matter what they say, and the same will be true for any other product they release that some group of people actually want. They'll always end up wanting the game more than wanting to make a statement, and odds are they'll also think that some other group of gamers will make the statement for them. Then we're left with the figurative big crowd of people who all think the guy next to them will call 911, and nobody actually will.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2010, 23:37.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

3. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 17:19 Aero

In reality, I doubt this DRM would have any practical downsides for me. I am always connected to the internet, and it's been a long, long time since I've had any interruption in my service (though I have increasingly been playing games on my laptop). Though I want the option to be available, odds are that I won't actually want to re-install it and play again five years from now either. It's the principle for this one.

I'm sure the pirates will crack it in short order, they always do.

In this case though, that won't make much difference to me. In the past when there was DRM I didn't like, I'd just install one of the cracks to get around the annoyance, but in this this case I just won't be buying it at all.

That was the thing before. The DRM annoyed me, but not to the point where I would entirely forgo playing a game I was otherwise interested in. This one is just dropping off my radar entirely. I no longer have any interest in any previews, ads, screenshots, or anything. Just blotted out of my mind. When I'm walking down the aisle in the store, it will just be an obstacle on the shelf obstructing my view of the games I actually might buy. It's a shame, because it's a good series.

As usual, none of this will make a lick of difference to the people who pirate it though. I must admit that, if it is good, I will probably be tempted, but that would just be playing into their hands, and they'd think "Aha,see? We need even stronger copy protection."

2. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 16:37 Shok

If the game is good enough, the pirates will find a way and rip out the DRM for those of us without 24/7 internet. I hope Sh5 is good, but I will not support a publisher who cripples their games like this. I want to be able to play my games 5,10,25 years in the future and not have to worry about a company server being around to let me know it's ok.  

1. Re: Sunday Previews Feb 14, 2010, 15:46 Aero

So then...

I need to be connected to Ubisoft constantly to play Silent Hunter 5 single-player, and if my connection dies the game just stops mid-stride?

I don't usually do a lot of bitching about DRM stuff. I don't like it of course, and I think it's silly when they try to take it beyond just stopping casual copying, but I'm probably just too old or something to get all worked up about it. I wouldn't, for instance, bother to boycott a game because it has DRM I don't agree with.

Until now, of course.

Hopefully this isn't just me, and the rest of the people who were willing to be pushed so far will draw the line here.

edit: And yes, I know what you're going to say, that had I bothered to boycott stuff earlier maybe it wouldn't have come this far, and that it didn't take any leap of imagination to have seen this sort of DRM coming, but nevertheless here we are.

I would also point out that if they took the fact that you always have to be connected to their server and did something with it beyond just DRM that couldn't be done otherwise, then I wouldn't be so against it. I'm sure they could think of some interesting ways to add value to it given that the devs can now count on people always being connected to a central server (and not just social-networking, achievement crap). That would certainly change my opinion to a degree. Give and take. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's something.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2010, 15:56.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo