Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

[H]ard-OCP - Don't Buy Global Agenda.
Does having 4.096 million pixels give you an "unfair advantage" over the guys that have 1.92 million pixels? That is what a gamer sees playing on a 2560x1600 LCD compared to a guy on display supporting 1600x1200 resolution. Hi-Rez Studios has no issue supporting that. According to Hi-Rez Studios' stance, the gamer with 6.912 million pixels (5760x1200 - 3x1 24" monitors) does have an unfair advantage over the gamer with 4.096 million pixels (2560x1600) and therefore, YOU will not be allowed to properly use your Eyefinity or other multi-display configuration to play its game.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: Op Ed Feb 17, 2010, 20:10 Yifes

@Dmitri_M
Yeah, a fraction wider. I still think he's better off buying a 40inch LCD with that setup. To really get anything out of 3 monitors the setup should be horizontal. That's a truly unique way of playing.

Selective read much? Way to miss the fact that he does play with a horizontal setup, and totally ignore why he has his monitors in vertical position in those screenshots.

Here's an assumption for you, I think he's getting cash from ATI to promote Eyefinity.

Exactly. Which is why he's also excited about Nvidia's upcoming offering. Rolleyes

@space captain

know what i love? the fact that you are blind to humor

enjoy that

Oh trust me, I find that your posts are great for a good laugh =D

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: Op Ed Feb 15, 2010, 13:29 Verno

TechReport and ArsTechnica are better resources for relatively unbiased information. To be fair to ATI here, Nvidia has been pushing money onto developers and publishers to gain exclusive "features" in their games. See the Batman AA fiasco for an example. They aren't competing on performance and price anymore so they're trying to clamp down with marketing and exclusives. It's bullshit and bad for the consumer.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

63. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 19:07 Dev

Silicon Avatar:
Thier power supply reviews are some of the best out there.

62. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 10:39 Mashiki Amiketo

It's kinda funny, until I saw this post I didn't even know that ATI was trying the multimonitor FoV system again. I remember matrox, and nvidia playing around with it about 10 years ago and it was pretty gimmicky then. On the same level as VR helmets and 3d stereoscopic shutter glass. All good ideas that never really caught on. I do have to admit, I'm kinda interested in this if they got all the bugs worked out.

As for the unfair advantage comment put out by Hi-Rez? They could get further by offering it as a selling point and pushing ATI's system now, and nVidia's new system in the future. There is no inherent unfairness in this, then all of the other 'unfair options' mentioned already. And I do remember the days when losing even on a LAN could be because of a slower computer(Hexen was really good for that).

All of that aside, unless they're going to turn around and have the "Hi-Rez enforcement police" come to your house every morning to make sure everyone is playing on identical systems, with identical hardware and identical internet connections...they're just shooting themselves in the foot. As for the eyefinity fanboism? Couldn't care the point is still valid, but I think that was the first time in 4 years I went to H-OCP.

(issues with this comment can go BLAH! I'm on 4hrs of sleep in the last 3 days)

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

61. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 10:31 Silicon Avatar

If you want real reviews written in the language of adults, I'd hit up Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and Ars Technica. Between those three you should get everything you need.

I wish Blue's would never link to [T]ard OCP again. That site was cool 15 years ago, but it never grew up.

60. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 10:22 The PC Warrior

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 14, 2010, 05:36:
the initial argument is against the writer of the original article, who advocates not buying a game because it lacks multi-monitor support
But I support the position of [H]. It's one thing not to support Eyefinity but it's another to state that it's tantamount to cheating and to deliberately not support it, even more so when you're part of nVidia's gaming program. It's like DICE, whose VERT- approach to widescreen pro-actively discriminated against widescreen gamers. Personally I'm fine with a game supporting a 360deg FOV, as on a regular display it completely nerfs horizontal accuracy and on a 360deg display that completely surrounds your head you're limited by the movement of your neck.

All I would say is that if you support a higher FOV that it be tied to resolution or be freely controllable through in-game settings. There's nothing worse than doing it through console commands that advantage the more technical player and disadvantage the casual player. Like with TF2 - you can select it in-game. That way you give everyone a more equal opportunity.

yup, this guy gets what is really going on here.

I dont understand how any fucking moron could toss aside 2 4870's Crossfired for a 5870 just so he could look at big black lines through his games. What a retard. I guess this is one of those More Money than Brains situations.

there are borderless monitors and you sound really bitter that people might make more money than you and have more disposable income. they dont knock your barbie collection so why dont you leave em be?

59. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 Trevellian

While not a perfect game. Global Agenda is fun to play. And not buying the game because it doesn't support Eyefinity is a dumbass reason. And this guys a dumbass. I dont understand how any fucking moron could toss aside 2 4870's Crossfired for a 5870 just so he could look at big black lines through his games. What a retard. I guess this is one of those More Money than Brains situations.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

58. too bad your opinion doesnt mean shit Feb 14, 2010, 07:54 space captain

The idea that someone dictates what hardware you can sue is silly.

but the idea that someone dictates what games should be on PC or not is awesome!

Go forth, and kill!

57. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 06:57 Hoop

Dear Cliff ..... your maps are terrible.  

Um .. Behind you...

56. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 06:46 Prez

Cliffski for President!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

55. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 05:48  cliffski 

I agree 100% games are supposed to be fun. The idea that someone dictates what hardware you can sue is silly. Those people should fuck off to console land and not even make PC games any more, as they clearly don't 'get it'.  
http://www.positech.co.uk

54. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 05:47 Dmitri_M

Yifes wrote on Feb 13, 2010, 21:23:
Also, that HARDOCP vertically tilted 3 monitor setup is dumb. Don't graphics drivers rotate the picture on some software level? And in essence he's not really gaining a truly wide view, he's just taking a standard 16:10 view and sizing it up with two monitor bezels uncomfortably close to the centre of the picture.

The vertically tilted 3 monitor setup gives you an aspect ratio of 1.875, which is wider than 16:9 and 16:10. And he explains his setup:

Yeah, a fraction wider. I still think he's better off buying a 40inch LCD with that setup. To really get anything out of 3 monitors the setup should be horizontal. That's a truly unique way of playing.

Yifes wrote on Feb 13, 2010, 21:23:
But way to make assumptions from some screenshots without bothering to read anything.

All I see is one guy persecuting a single developer of a fairly minor game for support of a NICHE technology. Multi monitor is nothing new. Matrox Triplehead, SoftTH have been around for years. Many, many games don't support it correctly. Where were his posts then? It's an unwieldy expensive hardware niche. You expect developers to add support when they're barely even interested in releasing for PC? Here's an assumption for you, I think he's getting cash from ATI to promote Eyefinity.

53. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 05:36 theyarecomingforyou

the initial argument is against the writer of the original article, who advocates not buying a game because it lacks multi-monitor support
But I support the position of [H]. It's one thing not to support Eyefinity but it's another to state that it's tantamount to cheating and to deliberately not support it, even more so when you're part of nVidia's gaming program. It's like DICE, whose VERT- approach to widescreen pro-actively discriminated against widescreen gamers. Personally I'm fine with a game supporting a 360deg FOV, as on a regular display it completely nerfs horizontal accuracy and on a 360deg display that completely surrounds your head you're limited by the movement of your neck.

All I would say is that if you support a higher FOV that it be tied to resolution or be freely controllable through in-game settings. There's nothing worse than doing it through console commands that advantage the more technical player and disadvantage the casual player. Like with TF2 - you can select it in-game. That way you give everyone a more equal opportunity.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

52. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 05:15 Hoop

I have never instinctively liked kyle, he is either bum licking id or the first company to subscribe to his site.
Hey kyle nvidia has some spare cashq [......."ooooohhhhhh hey Kyle here nvidia Ruuuullllesss kids!!!!!!"

Um .. Behind you...

51. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 03:59 space captain

You seemed to be pissed off that I dismissed people who can't handle an uneven playing field to go play consoles.

I can only imagine why you seemed to take it personally.

yes and since this entire scenario of my furious anger wholly resides within your imagination, it is a proper fit

it is the purview of the passive aggressor to behave in such a way, so dont feel bad

are you getting it yet?

Yes really, multi-monitor is not required in any game that it currently works in. In fact, in some games you can't get multi-monitor to work right. So regular users aren't getting punished here. I don't see why anyone without multi-monitor should care aside from the cheating argument.

i realize you feel so utterly right, incontrovertible and correct in your views - but it makes for lousy mentation

and i grow weary of holding the "obvious" torch, so good night and pleasant dreams of complete victory to you

Go forth, and kill!

50. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 02:24 Manfromx

Agreed

49. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:49 Grendle

Wouldn't consoles be an uneven playing field as well.

TV size.
TV ratio.
Recliner vs. stool.
Hand size vs controller size.

There is no such thing as an even playing field. Even in real life. LOL

48. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:27 Manfromx

Yes really, multi-monitor is not required in any game that it currently works in. In fact, in some games you can't get multi-monitor to work right. So regular users aren't getting punished here. I don't see why anyone without multi-monitor should care aside from the cheating argument.

i never said anything about cheating. i dont give a fuck about cheating or someones little idea of how "bad ass" they are... so talk to whoever you are talking to but try listening at some point too

I was never arguing against "you" to begin with.

HardOCP's whole beef is that the company who made Global Agenda called extra FoV cheating.

So most people are either saying. HardOCP is immature for bringing this issue to light and discussing it. Some also think it really would be cheating and HardOCP is missing that point entirely.

I'm arguing against both.

You seemed to be pissed off that I dismissed people who can't handle an uneven playing field to go play consoles.

I can only imagine why you seemed to take it personally.

Consoles are fine with me. I own one. However I do prefer PC. Sorry if I let my personal preference in systems show ;).

47. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:17 Warskull

Quboid wrote on Feb 13, 2010, 17:37:
nin wrote on Feb 13, 2010, 16:13:
I'm amazed and disappointed that a site as well regarded as [H

I didn't think they were that highly regarded at all but Blue seems to be linking to them more lately. Maybe they've gotten better than they used to be...

No? Oh... I thought their hardware reviews were good and on NDA expiry days they're usually one of the people I go to for useful, comprehensive reviews. That said, I don't know a whole lot about them and TBH, I don't know what review sites are respectable and which aren't these days apart from Sphinx and Out of Eight, both of which are, ahem, minimalist (i.e. have bugger all content as they're one guy operations).

For games in general, giantbomb is pretty good. They tend to have a console focus, though. Their quick look feature where they throw up 20 minute videos of gameplay tends to give you a really good idea of what a game is actually like, more than most reviews.

46. Re: Op Ed Feb 14, 2010, 00:17 space captain

No one said multi-monitor is required.

oh really?

[H]ard-OCP - Don't Buy Global Agenda.

and also

Saying a greater Field of View is somehow cheating

i never said anything about cheating. i dont give a fuck about cheating or someones little idea of how "bad ass" they are... so talk to whoever you are talking to but try listening at some point too

Go forth, and kill!

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo