Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 12:02 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2010, 05:30:
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I will say that I own and have enjoyed many games that fall in the 50-65 range on metacritic.
The general consensus is that a game has no value if it scores less than 7, or 70%, but I have myself seen plenty of value from such games.
I think films are the same.

I know people that won't both with a film unless it passes as "fresh" on rotten tomatoes, yet I've enjoyed a number of films with less-than-sellar reviews.

I think reviews are just a good starting point on some of the more technical merits:
- was it too long or too short of a film/game?
- did the graphics/effects look decent?
- did the actors seem wooden or out of place?

At some point you have to decide if the basic plot or theme appeals to you.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 05:30 Prez

Good points on the scoring system. I will say that I pay very little attention to critical reviews, especially when they are heaping perfect scores by the truckload on a high profile AAA game. The perceived danger of going against the norm is always greater in such a case, leading to inflated scores by many reviewers.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I will say that I own and have enjoyed many games that fall in the 50-65 range on metacritic. Alone in the Dark 2008, Combat Mission Shock Force, and Darkest of Days are 3 games that scored terribly but I have had great fun with. Do I think those games were improperly scored? Not really, though I think there is a bit of a "blood-in-the-water effect surrounding the scoring of mediocre or simply average games. The general consensus is that a game has no value if it scores less than 7, or 70%, but I have myself seen plenty of value from such games.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 01:57 PHJF

But then at the same time, how often do review scores go that "low?"

That's the whole point. A 100-point system only works when there are 100 points represented. Instead they only utilize the top end of their respective scoring spectrums so they don't piss off the people sending them free games, and suddenly every game is defined as nothing more than an indiscernible shade of gray. In a perfect world reviews wouldn't ever be boiled down to meaningless two or three-digit numbers and would instead have to stand solely on their merits as pieces of written work.

But then people would have to, you know, read. We can't very well have that.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 01:23 Narf2029

Dunno, the curve keeps changing. In Ohio's nursing schools, 75% is a failing grade. I think grade percentages are all bullshit anymore. Game reviews are silly though. Anything lower than 8/10 or 4/5 and you're a failure? But then at the same time, how often do review scores go that "low?"  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 01:14 Lord Tea

I get your point but 8/10 = 80 % = B to B+ grade. A game with that many issues, some of which are serious, should not be given a B grade let alone anything in the A range. But that's just my 5 cents.  
UPSA = United Police States of America

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 14, 2010, 00:16 Prez

In the land of game reviews, there seems to be a huge chasm of difference between the upper numbers of the scale as compared to the lower end. In other words, the difference between a game scoring, say 4 out of 10 versus one scoring 5 or 6 out of 10 is almost nil, while the difference between a 8/10 game and a 9/10, 9.5/10 or 10/10 game can be pretty massive.

From my experience, I'd say that an 8/10 score says the game, while pretty damn good, has some significant issues, while a 9.5 or a 10 implies near perfection.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2010, 14:55 Hoop

I know its just crazy....backed off buying into the hype of this game and so glad I did.
Winter is a couple of months away for us & if I find a second hand copy cheap enough I'll have a look then, or rent it.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2010, 15:46.

Um .. Behind you...

1. Re: Game Reviews Feb 13, 2010, 13:16 Lord Tea

Weirdo. On three pages the OCModShop Bioshock 2 review covers loads of issues with this game, yet in the end they still give it an 8 out of 10 score (justifying their decision to do so by saying other reviewers gave top scores).  
UPSA = United Police States of America

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo