Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support

After recent outcry and a petition asking 2K to add gamepad support to BioShock 2, 2K has responded saying they will not be adding support for gamepads to the underwater shooter sequel. 2K Elizabeth made the following post to the 2K Forums: "I talked to the dev team about controller support for BioShock 2, and I want to let you know that we wont be adding this into the game in a patch. The decision not to support the controller was not made lightly, and to add it now would take a complete re-envisioning of the UI that the team worked so hard to create. Im sorry for those of you who are disappointed, and I want you to know that your comments and concerns have been heard and will be taken in to account when we are planning in the future." Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 14, 2010, 21:43 Sepharo

Unless they've since patched it in, Mass Effect 2 is another port that doesn't support the gamepad.

I actually wanted to use it to show ME2 to some friends that were over. My PS2 keyboard cable doesn't reach to the couch but for anything USB (360 gamepad) I have multiple extenders.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 14, 2010, 03:57 Jerykk

How significantly does the PC UI in BS2 differ from the console versions?  

16. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 13, 2010, 06:08 Prez

Doesn't really affect the vast majority of the PC gaming audience. Is there anyone who doesn't have a mouse and keyboard attached to their PC? Everyone already has the best possible control scheme already available to them. This is not the end of the world.  

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 21:50 The PC Warrior

Roachmojo wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 20:00:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 16:48:
You want to play it with an XBOX controller--buy the XBOX version.

Fix the the Damn widescreen before any other BS patches.

QFT

quoted for youre an idiot.

14. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 20:00 Roachmojo

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 16:48:

QFT

13. Re: Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 18:33 Diabolus in Musica

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 14:11:
Joysticks and gamepads on the PC are as old as dirt, companies are just being lazy by not having support for it. I've still got my gravis gamepad(1993) around here somewhere, but I don't have a working MIDI port to plug it into anymore.

All it means is I have to use my USB joystick for various games. And that doesn't always work out well. I can't remember how many of those gamepads I burned through back in the Tie/Xwing/Freespace/Freespace2 days.

Lol yeah I had like 4 of these back in the day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gravis_pc_gamepad.jpg

If I went looking around in the house I bet I'd find them somewhere. Great gamepad at the time.

12. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 17:52 Sleeeeepy

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 13:18:
Idathunk there would be a pc gamer outcry for just about any stupid-ass reason imaginable.

yup, whining about stupid shit like this means no one will listen when we actually have a legitimate issue to air

*guys guys, look a wolf, it's a wolf*

11. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 16:48 Marvin T. Martian

10. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 14:12 Verno

Quoted for emphasis. Agreed on every point.

The game is largely already designed for a gamepad though, in fact in most game config files you'll find all of the Xbox bindings in there. There is no real "work" required to support the pad on the PC. If there was a significant amount of work that might delay the port or whatever then I'd be in full agreement but that's simply not the case, most of these games are designed for that exact pad in the first place. Either way, more choice is always better for the consumer in general and that's what the PC platform is all about. The "play it with a keyboard noob" crowd ironically is more like their console brethren than they realize.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 14:12.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

9. Re: Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 14:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Joysticks and gamepads on the PC are as old as dirt, companies are just being lazy by not having support for it. I've still got my gravis gamepad(1993) around here somewhere, but I don't have a working MIDI port to plug it into anymore.

All it means is I have to use my USB joystick for various games. And that doesn't always work out well. I can't remember how many of those gamepads I burned through back in the Tie/Xwing/Freespace/Freespace2 days.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 14:05 Kevlar

I've Got The News Blues wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 12:13:
Asking for this hurts PC gaming. While I would prefer that PC games support as many types of peripherals as possible, I don't like UI's, HUD's, and aiming which is designed to accomodate the limitations of a gamepad unless the game is best played with a gamepad such as an action sports title or a vehicular combat game. Since development resources are usually limited, PC gamers can't have it both ways. We can't get titles designed to accomodate the extended functionality of a PC and also expect a simplified console game for the relative few who want that. So, given the choice between a quick-and-dirty console port designed for a gamepad and a game designed for a PC's keyboard and mouse, I would prefer the latter.

So, if you want to play a PC FPS game with a gamepad, use one of the keyboard and mouse emulation utilities that come with some gamepads or a third-party one like Xpadder.

Quoted for emphasis. Agreed on every point.

7. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 13:42 Verno

No that's a lie Ruffiana, you wouldn't have used your brain at all.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

6. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 13:18 Ruffiana

Idathunk there would be a pc gamer outcry for just about any stupid-ass reason imaginable.  

5. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 13:04 Diabolus in Musica

Sleeeeepy wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 12:11:
Better this way than the other way round

Lol yeah aint *that* the truth?

4. Re: Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 12:21 swaaye

One thing that I've found ironic for years is how Crysis, poster boy of top of the line PC gaming, has great 360 pad support. The problem is that the game doesn't do the usual extreme autoaim of the consoles so while u can control everything pretty well, you can't hit shit.

We've had joystick support in shooters way back to like Doom though, so it's not new to PC at all.

3. Don't ask for gamepad support in an FPS. Feb 12, 2010, 12:13 I've Got The News Blues

Asking for this hurts PC gaming. While I would prefer that PC games support as many types of peripherals as possible, I don't like UI's, HUD's, and aiming which are designed to accomodate the limitations of a gamepad unless the game is best played with a gamepad such as an action sports title or a vehicular combat game. Since development resources are usually limited, PC gamers can't have it both ways. We can't get titles designed to accomodate the extended functionality of a PC and also expect a simplified console game for the relative few who want that. So, given the choice between a quick-and-dirty console port designed for a gamepad and a game designed for a PC's keyboard and mouse, I would prefer the latter.

So, if you want to play a PC FPS game with a gamepad, use one of the keyboard and mouse emulation utilities that come with some gamepads or a third-party one like Xpadder.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 14:47.

2. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 12:12 swaaye

whodathunk that we'd have a pc gamer outcry over lacking gamepad support in a first-person shooter?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 12:13.

1. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 12:11 Sleeeeepy

Better this way than the other way round  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo