Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian

Obsidian Entertainment is developing new PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Wheel of Time games, announces Red Eagle Games, who in late 2008 picked up the rights to create games based on the fantasy-themed Wheel of Time novels by late author Robert Jordan. Specific game plans are not being laid out at this time, but Red Eagle does express enthusiasm for the deal: "The development team at Obsidian Entertainment has demonstrated time and again that they can successfully blend storytelling with technology to craft a superior RPG game experience," said Red Eagle CEO Rick Selvage. "Obsidian Entertainment is the ideal development partner to help Red Eagle Games take Jordan's beloved characters from the printed page to exciting new forms of interactive media."

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 13, 2010, 03:37 Jerykk

How about you jokers FINISH a game before signing deals to start new games, fellas? I'm sure Sega is just thrilled to death about you diluting your team(s) even further.

That's not really how it works. You have to sign a project before you finish the current one, otherwise your artists and designers won't have anywhere to go once the current game reaches content complete. Once a game reaches content complete, content creators start rolling onto other projects. It's ideal to have multiple projects at any given time. It reassures employees that they won't get fired and it saves the studio from having to rehire. At this point, I'm pretty sure Alpha Protocol is content complete.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 18:56 Bucky

I've always felt the WoT universe was vastly superior to the books themselves. I've never played anything using RJ's IP; It'll be interesting to see what can be done with it.  

11. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 15:50 derelict koan

Creston wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 12:45:
NWN2 was a good game, certainly, until you reached Act 3, and then the storytelling died a horrible, tortured death.

I didn't mind the cliches so much, and I thought the combat was actually really well done...but the total ambience failure was a shame...the towns felt utterly deserted and stood as a real let down.On the bright side, it prompted me to quit before act 3 and install bg2, which was about 800 times better.

www.derelictkoan.com - speculative psychosis in trilogy form

10. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 15:20 Ratty

Hmm, the first one was pretty good. I might hunt up the disk and play through it again. I got Bioshock 2 but after playing for a few minutes I just can't seem to get myself in the mood to play anymore. It might have to be one of those games that "ages" for a while before I want to play it. Like Crysis. I've had that one installed for a couple of years but only started playing it a couple months ago. Now I'm on my third play through.  

9. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 14:55 Nucas

thank god, i was afraid "red eagle games" was going to develop it in-house and fuck it up like "cheyenne mountain" is doing with the stargate games.

i would lay nations to waste for a game set in the age of legends/trolloc wars/conquest of artur hawkwing. just don't fucking follow the main characters. please. no more path of neo.

8. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 12:45 Creston

"The development team at Obsidian Entertainment has demonstrated time and again that they can successfully blend storytelling with technology to craft a superior RPG game experience,"

Ehm, when did they demonstrate this, exactly? NWN2 was a good game, certainly, until you reached Act 3, and then the storytelling died a horrible, tortured death. KOTOR was a good game until you came to about 80%, and then nothing you'd done before made any kind of fucking difference whatsoever, and you just went through a mob-filled hallway to reach the endboss in true FF fashion.

This "time and time again" crap is just that: crap.

Also, this is the... third? fourth? game Obsidian is currently developing? How about you jokers FINISH a game before signing deals to start new games, fellas? I'm sure Sega is just thrilled to death about you diluting your team(s) even further.

Creston

7. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 12:09 SmyTTor

Please don't fuck up the WoT universe.

Please don't burst out of the gate with an MMO from some developer that has no experience or success in the arena of MMOs.

Please don't dumb it down for the sole purpose of conoles.

Please don't make it episodic in the vein of making it require multiple wallet bleeding DLCs to follow the story lines, especially DLC released the same day the game debuts.

Please don't repeat descriptions of lace ruffed light blue dresses with slashes of cream.

6. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 11:41 peteham

There are lots of elements to draw from in the WoT series for sure. For one, the the world is large, seeing as the books only really touch on one continent. Unlike most fantasy, it also has a fairly structured magic system that could translate well to RPG mechanics. Not sure the beastiary is large enough at present to keep it interesting though. One of the few weak points of Dragon Age in my opinion was that for the whole game, at any level, you were fighting hurlocks, genlocks, and more hurlocks and genlocks. I can see the same happening with trollocs and myrddraal..

But most important of all: The game must have cleavage. And curtains. And lace. Oh wait, that's what you meant about 90% of the extraneous crap.

5. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 11:29 Cutter

Big wheel keep on turnin', Proud Mary keep on burnin'...
If they can cut out all the extraneous crap - 90% of the books - there may be a good game in there. They should just make a game focusing on the Aiel, that'd be pretty sweet.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 11:25 peteham

It'll probably be an episodic game that will never end...ever.
At least it'll be true to the books

3. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 11:08 Hyatus

It'll probably be an episodic game that will never end...ever.  

2. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 11:05 Prez

I loved the FPS shooter "Wheel of Time" where you got to play as an Aes Sedai. Great game.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Wheel of Time Rolls to Obsidian Feb 12, 2010, 10:45 space captain

go go Black Isle! oops, i mean Black Rock.. oops, i mean Obsidian

Aww

Go forth, and kill!

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo