Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer

Star Trek Online announces the Borg update, upcoming high-level episodes that will look to assimilate players of level 43 or higher. Word is: "Previously, the Borg were thought to be severely weakened by the actions the USS Voyager, as fans of the show will remember. But in 2409, the Borg have regained and surpassed much of their old strength, and Episodes in the Borg Update will add more substance to that portion of STO’s story. Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path." Here are some Borg screenshots and here is a Borg faction trailer, which is embedded below.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 10:41 Undocumented Alien

Strangely enough I think UO (the first couple/few years) is/was the best MMO ever made. It felt the most "real" to me as far as a virtual world. When you walked through towns (especially Britain equiv) their were PLAYER vendors that would fix your armor, weapons, make potions, tailor clothing, etc. Yes, you could get ganked outside of town, but you could also fight back if you wanted. But with that, going on an adventure always felt exhilarating as you couldn't just stand on the side of a mountain and safely "pull" MoB's to your camp. As well, the economy was good and people could make a fun virtual business. I had my favorite potion vendor right on the edge of town and he was always stocked, that person must have made some good coin. I also never felt that "grind" I did with EQ/DAoC etc, UO felt more fluid as you could shape your avatar based on what you did in the game naturally.

I'd like to see another UO'ish type game come out, let the players shape the world, very sandbox like, NO levels.

When I first heard of STO, I thought it would be great to have it modeled like DAoC, or RvR, with entirely open PvP (RvR style) in space and ground. Allow players to expand their empires and fight for planets, thats always been a nice contentious part of ST.

When this game gets a few patches and a 10/12/15 day trial I may check it out.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 09:17 Silicon Avatar

I quit playing after the open beta because ship combat instances were all winnable by zerging. All you lost was "crew" and it regenerated. Big deal. Just keep respawning until the enemy dies.

If they ever fix that - and add interesting content to the planets - then I'd probably come back. Otherwise I'm waiting around for the new SW mmo.

13. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 09:15 JoeNapalm

cliffski wrote on Feb 12, 2010, 04:41:
A tale in the desert

Yup, the only MMO that seems to have anything original about it is Eve, and that is overcomplex and still a bit of a level grind. Still one day maybe something new will come along...

Fallen Earth is daring to be different. I love it, but at the same time I can see why it's almost totally under the radar. I think a lot of people cry for an MMO that isn't a WoW clone, but when they try something different, they complain that it's not what they expect.

I like STO, but I think with just a BIT more depth it could have been truly great. I still play, but it's more of a "hop on for an hour and play a few sectors" than the mad dash for Admiral that most of my Fleet seems to be engaged in.

I think anyone who powerlevels in STO is going to be pretty underwhelmed when they get to end game, because it's just not finished, yet. Happens in most MMOGs, really.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

12. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 04:41  cliffski 

A tale in the desert

Yup, the only MMO that seems to have anything original about it is Eve, and that is overcomplex and still a bit of a level grind. Still one day maybe something new will come along...

http://www.positech.co.uk

11. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 03:42 space captain

While there could be options besides this industry standard method of making MMORPG's, I'm guessing they'd be pretty difficult.
Why?

it appears that the LEGO mmo is doing something different. also that crazy "diplomacy in the desert" game or whatever the hell that was did something different

"its too hard!!" come on man, thats bullshit. just a lazy excuse to keep beating the dead horse of status quo

im pretty sure the ubiquitous "static MMO world" design WILL die at some point, but it may take a while.

Go forth, and kill!

10. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 03:29 .Drifter

space captain wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 22:39:
Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path.

and then 5 minutes later she will be reborn, the road will be rebuilt and everything will go back to exactly as it was before

AWESOME! and so very compelling

While there could be options besides this industry standard method of making MMORPG's, I'm guessing they'd be pretty difficult.
Why?
Well, the publisher puts in new content. Those players who seem to live in online games conquer it within a day or two of release, the content is done. Rather than reset, the creators of the game LEAVE it done, just like "real life" would be.
Then what happens?
No one else gets a shot at it, new content must be released, at which time . . .
Lather, rinse, repeat, with the same group of people getting all the new content each patch.

One alternative I could mention is to do what EVE did. Just don't bother with content and let players pretty much make the game up as they go. Or, as I like to think of EVE, make an economic simulator and throw in some method for players to kill each other. Or do some repetitive, mind numbing activity.
Heck, change the ships to armored, heavily armed players. Then change space into large, open FPS zones with vehicles.
Viola! ADAM online!
Throw out random stories, make some new guns, armor, and vehicles every once in a while, and give people the ability to go into mines and MINE things, and you've got a new hit game!
Or did they already do this and call it Fallen Earth (which most people don't seem to care for)?

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 03:31.

9. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 01:03 Narf2029

If you like Starfleet Command I don't see how you can't at least tolerate the space combat in STO. It's faster paced and not as complex but there's a reason why Starfleet Command 1, 2 and 3 all kind of bombed financially. In trying to make a mass-market MMO there is just no way they could have gone with a Starfleet Command-level of complexity, and certainly there is no way a publisher would let them. I loved Starfleet Command 2 myself but I know it's a design that appeals to a niche, and thus is a design that tanks when placed in a large market with a large budget. Having one-on-one starship fights that could last 15-30 minutes each would just not fly in a mass-market MMO.

As far as art design, I like the compromise they have between user customization and uniformity for the most part, especially since the majority of players seem to go for looks at least inspired by what they saw in their favorite movie or TV show. There are of course people with strange color schemes or strange races or both, but they seem few and far between. If the art team was focused on pew-pew and pretty things, well, that's what sells these days. I say it a lot, but if you take it for what it is, STO is good. It's not Star Trek opened up to the masses - everyone's got their own idea of what Star Trek is and should be, and you can't win by trying to cater to that any more than you can get the Orthodox church to believe the Roman Catholics got it right. Rather, it's an MMO that is based on Star Trek. Despite being set in Star Trek, it's going to cater first and foremost to MMO players.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

8. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 00:39 Flatline

Ventura wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 23:59:
That's STO for you. I love that it's coated in Trek, but it's definitely missing something.

All these trailers seem to convey the same thing over and over again:

The aesthetic of the art design in star trek is completely gone. There's no sense of grandiose, the models are uninspired, the animations look like they're budget level, and it seems like the art team was too focused on things going "pew pew pew" and not focused enough on "boldly going where no one has gone before".

I have zero interest in the MMO. It seems to have taken everything that sucks from Star Trek and made a game from it. Maybe I'm biased, I'm one of the few who thought that Starfleet Command 2 was one of the greatest star trek games ever made (I'm an old starfleet battles fan, which is the only reason I enjoyed it). I just see none of the bits about Star Trek that I enjoy, and everything that I loathed.

7. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 00:28 Rigs

Well, despite my previous statement that I would wait a few months and then grab STO at a discount, I caved in today and bought it while shopping for a SATA DVD burner (all my burner belong to IDE and I was tired of trying to get that freakin' flat ribbon IDE cable into the slot at inhuman angles. And, yes, I know there are rounded cables, but none I can find anywhere in the bum-fuck Egypt I live in) at almighty Wal-Mart. Ugh, $50 is a little freakin' steep. Not that you can get it online for cheaper and then have to download a 6-8gb file (which would take nearly two days on my barely passable 3mbps DSL), so I relented. I was kinda psyched when I was in the beta and really kinda liked the whole thing. Then again, I'm not an MMO gamer. This would mark the first I have actually gone out and purchased after being in the beta. I missed the boat with Earth and Beyond (I really had wanted to try that before it died) and then again with SWGalaxies. I had the chance to play for a year for free as part of some promotion back then and passed on it due to 'Real Life'(tm) issues. EVE was my latest chance and I did stay with it for about all of half the tutorial before moving on...

Here's to STO! May it actually be worth the gaping hole in my wallet...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

6. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 12, 2010, 00:17 Narf2029

Been playing since open beta, still playing almost daily. It's not fun for everyone but it's fun for me. I think with it being Star Trek, most people just have higher expectations and forget that it's an MMO. The space combat is enjoyable and even tense at times. Ground combat is not as good but I wouldn't say it's terrible like a lot of people seem to think. There really isn't much more to expect beyond that, because it's an MMO. If you take it for what it is, STO is very fun. If you're not a fan of MMOs or you expect more than what an MMO has to offer, it's not the game for you, but then no MMO really is. Or maybe just this MMO doesn't suit your tastes. Lots of people like WoW for some reason but I've tried three times to get interested in it and I just can't.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2010, 00:19.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

5. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 23:59 Ventura

I love Star Trek, I'm not ashamed to say it. I even went to a convention once, and met Tim Russ, who was Tuvok in Voyager. I was so nervous about actually meeting someone from the show, I just about froze up. He probably thought I was something of a dick, because of it.

Anyway, just so you get an idea...

I installed Star Trek Online on Sunday, played Monday after work in the evening, took Tuesday off to play, had no desire to play Wednesday after work, and cancelled my subscription on Thursday.

That's STO for you. I love that it's coated in Trek, but it's definitely missing something.

4. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 23:17 space captain

yeh thats the point, Oppenheimer  
Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 22:57 n0slet

Welcome to nearly every multiplayer RPG/MMO.  

2. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 22:39 space captain

Players will eventually face off against the Borg Queen, the leader of the Collective, but the road to her lair is a very dangerous path.

and then 5 minutes later she will be reborn, the road will be rebuilt and everything will go back to exactly as it was before

AWESOME! and so very compelling

Go forth, and kill!

1. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Details, Trailer Feb 11, 2010, 22:35 Cholma

They fixed the bug that wouldn't allow you to assign the bonus uniforms to your Bridge Officers. Yay! I was able to give the TOS uniform to my BOs today (still no mini-skirts though). It's still kind of bugged, however, neither of my 2 Engineering BOs have the option for the TOS chest insignia, and my Alien Eng BO doesn't have a rank insignia.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo