Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I waited until I was pretty sure the snow had stopped yesterday to shovel the walk, and there was a boatload of snow out there (it was difficult to shovel it all into a boat, but I am a stickler for precision). All that effort paid off as I only had 40 minutes of shoveling this morning to finish the job (yeesh). And I have no rights to complain, either, as I distinctly said I thought it would be cool if we got so much snow.

Shoveled Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Push.
Colony.
Links: Greatest Possible Food.
Stories: It’s Official! ‘Spider-Man’ Reboot Will Be 3D. Thanks nin.
Providing security at Vancouver Olympics is a daunting task. Thanks brother19.
Felony Snowball Tossing Charges Lodged. When you outlaw snowballs...
Science: How to Change A Skin Cell Into A Nerve Cell.
Lack of oxygen forced fishes' 1st breath.
Future police: Meet the UK's armed robot drones. Thanks Joker961 via Slashdot.
Images: New World Trade Center 9/11 aerial images. Still tough to view. Thanks nin.
Tell Me What You See.
Clever Cover Up Tattoos After The Break Up. Thanks Neatorama.
Media: Enter The Ninja (dirty version). NSFW. Thanks space captain.
Computer Worm Makes Unauthorized Purchases When User Drunk.
Large Hadron Collider Secret.
The Funnies: Countdown to Catastrophe. Thanks Digg.
The 10 Types of Crappy Interviewees - The Oatmeal. Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: Pluto's demotion is a great opportunity for science.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2010, 10:02 Mr. Tact

My sister got Lasik and is happy with the results. I've considered Lasik, but never done anything about it for a couple of reasons.

1) I kinda doubt I am a candidate, I have what I understand is a moderate astigmatism.

2) After wearing glasses for 37 years now it just isn't an issue. I don't think about it. 90% of the time or better I'm not even aware of my glasses.

3) Even a 1 in 10,000 chance (or whatever it is) of having major vision issue afterward is not a risk I've been able to convince myself to take (assuming I was a candidate for the procedure).

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 23:05  Blue 

skyguy wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 20:39:
Uh, hey blue, I twice have been prompted to download a file called pdf.pdf when visiting http://bluesnews.com/

Could be a malicious ad.

That does sound ominous. I have contacted the engine room at ad central, and they have eliminated the new campaign that just started running, which is the most obvious suspect. They think this has cleared it up, so please do let me know as soon as possible if it happens again so I can follow up.

My apologies.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 20:39 skyguy

Uh, hey blue, I twice have been prompted to download a file called pdf.pdf when visiting http://bluesnews.com/

Could be a malicious ad.

19. Felony Snowball Tossing Charges Lodged. Feb 11, 2010, 18:06 jdreyer

Wow. Well, up to $2500, that's sounds about right. Judges will typically go way below that depending on the stuation. But 1 to 5 years in jail? The min is a whole year? That seems WAY out of proportion. I realize it's dangerous to nail a moving car, but a year in jail is a seriously long time.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

18. Future police: Meet the UK's armed robot drones. Feb 11, 2010, 17:52 jdreyer

Robocop?  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 17:14 Kxmode

Enahs wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 16:25:
Lasik Surgery FTW. I got it 9 years ago and haven't regretted it since. My vision is 20/15.

My vision has been getting incrementally better and better over the past 6 years. It is pointless getting Lasik now. And with my glasses I am closer to the 20/10 range of vision. They are not even close to willing to promise that with Lasik or any of the other eye surgery.

So yeah, I will pay thousands of dollars to have worse vision!

Your loss.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 16:25 Enahs

Lasik Surgery FTW. I got it 9 years ago and haven't regretted it since. My vision is 20/15.

My vision has been getting incrementally better and better over the past 6 years. It is pointless getting Lasik now. And with my glasses I am closer to the 20/10 range of vision. They are not even close to willing to promise that with Lasik or any of the other eye surgery.

So yeah, I will pay thousands of dollars to have worse vision!

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

15. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 16:04 Fion

BobBob wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 13:32:

Just admit it. Your the only person in the modern world who hasn't seen it.

14. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 15:56 PHJF

3D fucking sucks if you wear glasses. Because you have to put these shity glasses over your already glasses. They are not big enough, so when they are so far from your face the cardboard of the 3D glasses block some of the screen, etc.

Maybe if you have crazy old-man glasses, sure. The RealD glasses I got fit fine over my own glasses.

And what's this about cardboard??? You didn't get a pair of these?

http://lauramcwilliams.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/reald-3d-glasses.jpg

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 15:29 Cutter

But I have to ask why does Spiderman need a reboot? The first was really good, and it wasn't released that long ago.

It was decent, but by no means great. I never thought Toby Maguire made a good Spidey. The guy always seems like he's high all the time. The second one started going off the rails, as is usual per Hollywood's MO. Hey, let's make it bigger and better with more villains and explosions and everything except a focus on the characters and a good storyline. The third one went off the rails entirely. Song and dance routine from evil Peter Parker? Topher fucking Grace as Venom? Pfft. It was one big steaming pile of crap. It's no wonder they canned Raimi and insisted on a reboot ala Batman.

Hell, even the Batman reboot is in danger of going off the rails and needing another reboot once more. Fucking suits in Hollywood need to learn to shup up and just sign the checks.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 14:24 Kxmode

Enahs wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 13:30:
3D fucking sucks if you wear glasses. Because you have to put these shity glasses over your already glasses. They are not big enough, so when they are so far from your face the cardboard of the 3D glasses block some of the screen, etc.

Make some that are fucking bigger that will fit over regular glasses comfortably and not interfere and then I can get behind the 3D movement. Until then fuck off 3D.

11. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 13:32 BobBob

http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 13:30 Enahs

Make some that are fucking bigger that will fit over regular glasses comfortably and not interfere and then I can get behind the 3D movement. Until then fuck off 3D.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 13:27 Stormsinger

"Reboot" and 3D...if that ain't the kiss of death, I don't know what is. Either one alone is a really bad sign, but both at once?  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 13:23 PHJF

3D was a fad... in 1955. Now it's just the natural evolution of cinema technology.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2010, 13:16 Kxmode

New World Trade Center 9/11 aerial images

Cry

6. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 13:05 Fion

3D certainly isn't a fad anymore. Avatar changed what it is all bout. If you haven't seen it in 3D, you simply don't get it. It's not about stuff popping out of the screen at you, it's about adding an amazing amount of depth and clarity to the movie.

Go see Avatar in 3D. Not one single thing pops out at the screen, which IMHO is very gimmicky. It simply makes the movie more awe inspiring to watch.

5. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 13:02 Kxmode

BobBob wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 11:02:
Tired of the 3D fad.

It's not a fad any more. Thank you Avatar!

But I have to ask why does Spiderman need a reboot? The first was really good, and it wasn't released that long ago.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 13:06.

4. VIdeosift Feb 11, 2010, 12:52 Fion

is it just me or is anyone else unable to see or post comments on Videosift anymore?

The 2AM Computer Worm is fantastic!

3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 11, 2010, 12:35 Sepharo

Reboot: Because it's easier to tell the same story over and over than think of a new one.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo