Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

"Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games

The Guardian.co.uk has a report on a research study suggesting playing first-person shooters desensitizes young people to violence, based on an experiment where 40 boys were asked to play games for 20 minutes, with half playing a football sim, the other half "a first-person war game." These kids then had their heartbeats monitored as they watched violent news footage, which showed that the boys who played the violent game "retained slower heart rates during the news footage," leading to the conclusion: "Shockingly, just 20 minutes of violent gameplay was enough to densensitise the boys." If this doesn't necessarily sound scientific, take it up with the "Supernanny" who is behind the whole thing, with the assistance of Dr Doug Gentile, a psychologist who apparently doesn't rate the "super" prefix. The Guardian shares our take on all this: "Finally, the underlying statistical nugget that haunts this whole debate: violent video games have been around for 30 years. If just 20 minutes of exposure is enough to turn normal boys into desensitised monsters, our streets should be filled with violence. They're not. Violent crime has plunged during that period. And of the violence that does take place, how much more would be prevented by restrictions in the sale of alcohol rather than of violent games? Police would scoff at the very question." Thanks GamePolitics.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Feb 11, 2010, 00:39 Sepharo

Mr.Payback wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:14:
Bugs the crap out of me when people say violent acts "are down".

No, the REPORTS of violent acts are down. Which just might play into the whole "desensitizing" schtick. If people don't report it, it statistically never happened.

Are you suggesting that the percentage of people who report a crime when they see it is going down?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 19:48 Kosumo

t's a nanny who's all up in your face, more than normal.

Oh yeah, that's what I was talking about Grin2 Whip

I jest, I jest.

21. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 19:21 Kxmode

shponglefan wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:05:
What the hell is a supernanny and why should I care?

It's a nanny who's all up in your face, more than normal.

20. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 19:14 Mr.Payback

Bugs the crap out of me when people say violent acts "are down".

No, the REPORTS of violent acts are down. Which just might play into the whole "desensitizing" schtick. If people don't report it, it statistically never happened.

19. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 19:05 shponglefan

What the hell is a supernanny and why should I care?  

18. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 18:39 space captain

Self control is key,

this is the message that "DOES NOT COMPUTE" with the socially conditioned mind. society programs people to serve itself, and not to be in control of their own mind - because such a thing only interferes with the service they would provide. its best to have minions that will follow your every whim, not some kind of asshole that wants to do his own thing

dont you want to be a productive member of society? dont you want to be a good person? dont you want to be normal? you do? GREAT!

WELCOME TO THE MATRIX

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 18:29 RenownWolf

I grew up watching things I shouldn't (18+ horror movies at age 9), playing violent video games (Doom, Quake etc..) and yet out of my friends I'm the most grounded. I disapprove of violence unless in defence of myself or even more so my better half.

Games haven't harmed me, if anything they helped when in school I had an issue with a person I'd go kill some people in Quake rather then battle it out.

Then again, there was kids at school who had issues regardless if they were copying movies, games or even their parents (it's amazing how many kids still get beat on by their parents).

Self control is key, just because seeing somebody being killed on a video game doesn't mean I'll laugh like a mad man and ask for more when somebody dies in the street. Then again, I've always been curious to see a car accident, but that's more because I just never get to see one take place infront of my own eyes.

http://www.renownwolf.com

16. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 18:21 dubfanatic

And of the violence that does take place, how much more would be prevented by restrictions in the sale of alcohol rather than of violent games?

rock and rollragtime is the devil

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 18:22.

15. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 17:07 Kxmode

Hey Superbitch, quit trying to deball boys!  

14. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 16:57 PropheT

OldScho0l wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 15:31:
Shouldn't this "Supernanny" grow a brain and focus on the parents who allow these violent games into their homes? \

Watch 5 minutes of television and you'll see plenty of violence and smut. It's everywhere. Morals are the way of the past.

That's even more ridiculous than what Supernanny is suggesting.

Anyone who is impressionable enough to have their moral structure dictated by television or video games has other psychological issues dominating their perceptions as it is. Just because you can see violence or sexuality on television (or games) doesn't mean there is anything immoral about either, or that viewing them is an immoral act either... it's about viewing subject matter like this with a healthy attitude.

And I'm so damn tired of the "blame the parents" thing. Parenting is about raising your children to have a healthy attitude and appreciation for life and all the things in it, good or bad. Sheltering them from anything questionable or harmful isn't good parenting, it's problem avoidance so you don't have to deal with the reality that they're going to encounter those things at some point in their life regardless of your involvement.

That's no desensitizing them to violence or sex, but teaching them to respond to their presence with a healthy attitude and appropriate response.

13. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 16:46 Ravor

Yeah, they should just blame violence on violent people and have it done with.  

12. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 16:42 DangerDog

They used to blame comic books for being too violent.

Then it was movies.

Then it was hard rock music.

Now it's video games.

11. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 16:25 osage no onna

I'd be more worried about all that violent news footage that they force these kids to watch.  

10. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 16:24 Rhett

Pfft. I survived 4chan; I think I deserve to be able to shoot people on a computer.

(sorry to anyone I just converted...)

9. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 16:06 Verno

You know what also desensitizes young people to violence? Growing up. It's a violent world.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

8. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 16:04 jdreyer

Yeah, I like that show. As a dad with two kids, there is a lot of good ideas to be garnered from the techniques she uses to corral out of control brats.

But this seems like she is overreaching. This kind of stuff should be left to the professionals. Really to get a feel for the effect of playing FPSs and other violent video games, long term longitudinal studies are required to see if players commit more violent acts than non players over many years or even decades.

Now, you'll excuse me while I go download the latest Borderland's DLC...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 15:44 theyarecomingforyou

As pointed out it seems ridiculous to suggest that computer games are a significant issue when compared to the level of alcohol related violence. And for all we know using computer games as an outlet for violent urges could actually be beneficial to society. Certainly I'm loathed to take seriously anyone with a gutter tabloid name like "Supernanny".  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 15:39 Wolfox

Kosumo wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 15:35:
I always make out to my friends that I have a super Crush on supernanny because of her domantrax like appeal, now I can 'pretend' she is saying "who's been a bad FPS player, it's the nuagthy bed for you!"

I wonder which games you've been playing to have those cravings...?

5. Re: "Supernanny" Takes on Violent Games Feb 10, 2010, 15:37 space captain

its what happens when you grow up to be a "supernanny".. you lose the ability to have fun with abandon - so anytime you see a child losing themselves in joy

YOU MUST KILL IT

(because you will never see it again yourself, boo fucking hoo)

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Feb 10, 2010, 15:35 Kosumo

I always make out to my friends that I have a super Crush on supernanny because of her domantrax like appeal, now I can 'pretend' she is saying "who's been a bad FPS player, it's the nuagthy bed for you!"  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo