Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues

The 2K Forums have a thread complaining that widescreen support in the PC edition of BioShock 2 does not work properly, as it displays a cropped version of the 4:3 screen, rather than true widescreen depiction of the scene (thanks Gamer's Hell). This is pretty surprising, considering the original BioShock suffered the same problem until a patch came out several months after the game's release. One post by 2K Elizabeth acknowledges the problem, saying it is restricted to the PC edition, while a later post says a fix is on the way: "I am compiling a complete list with a nifty screenshot for you, but in short: Yes, there's a problem, yes, a fix is on the way, yes the view will expand horizontally for you widescreen gamers. I wanted to let you know as soon as I could - so stay tuned for the details."

Also, Shacknews notes a Please bring back 360 Controller/Gamepad Support for BioShock 2 on PC Petition is online, asking for gamepad support, as reflected in this forum thread. However, 2K Elizabeth explains that lack of gamepad support is intentional: "We made quite a number of significant changes to UI / HUD for the PC version of the game. The decision was made early on not to support controllers at all in order to ensure that we got the mouse and keyboard control absolutely right. This of course required a redesign of large parts of the UI and the player HUD. For example, we removed the Weapons and Plasmid Selection Radials in favor of a custom created Weapons Selection Strip which more accurately reflects the keyboard layout." An unofficial gamepad support workaround is available.

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

60. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 09:09 Prez

While I would never use a gamepad of any stripe to play a FPS while there's a mouse and keyboard attached to my PC, I think the key here is "choice". PC gaming has always been about it, after all. The dev's best bet is to make the control scheme fit as many different input possibilities as possible. Within reason of course.

Still, it's good to know that they recognize the mouse and keyboard is the superior control method. Failing everything else, you can't go wrong with having that.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 08:49 Verno

Roachmojo wrote on Feb 11, 2010, 02:50:
necrosis wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 15:15:
Great. Just what we need. More people confusing the fuck out of game developers making it harder for them to know what we want. Especially when PC game support is at a all time low.

"But I thought you said you hated the console like layout?"
"Yes, but we want gamepad support!"
"But we redid the menus and what not to please the KB&M people so it makes it rough for gamepads. Thus we did not bother adding support."
"I WANTS TO USE MY XBAWX CONTROLLER!"

Seriously people you need to stop. I fully agree with what someone already said. If you want to use a controller get it on a console.

Well said. Fucking crybaby Console/PC Gamer Hybrid assholes need to either stick with the console OR the PC. You got a gui reconfigured for the PC. Be fucking grateful for that for fucks sake.

Nah, I'll keep buying games for whatever I want because in the end it's about me having fun. It's not like PC gaming can really afford to be driving people away at this point by the way captain manners.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

58. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 02:50 Jerykk

On the topic of 360 support. If you add controller support to a game why do you make it so it ONLY works with the 360 controller? I have seen a few games do this already. Whats so wrong with adding generic gamepad support?

The 360 controller uses xInput, whereas everything else uses DirectInput. If developers are porting a 360 game (which is what happens 99% of the time), it's much easier to only support the 360 controller and not have to bother with DirectInput at all. They also don't have to worry about making button icons for non-360 controllers.

57. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 02:50 Roachmojo

necrosis wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 15:15:
Great. Just what we need. More people confusing the fuck out of game developers making it harder for them to know what we want. Especially when PC game support is at a all time low.

"But I thought you said you hated the console like layout?"
"Yes, but we want gamepad support!"
"But we redid the menus and what not to please the KB&M people so it makes it rough for gamepads. Thus we did not bother adding support."
"I WANTS TO USE MY XBAWX CONTROLLER!"

Seriously people you need to stop. I fully agree with what someone already said. If you want to use a controller get it on a console.

Well said. Fucking crybaby Console/PC Gamer Hybrid assholes need to either stick with the console OR the PC. You got a gui reconfigured for the PC. Be fucking grateful for that for fucks sake.

56. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 02:49 Kxmode

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:41:
kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:28:
Diabolus in Musica wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:06:
Rhett wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 13:14:
So...they still use CRTs over there? Completely oblivious to this "fancy new widescreen technology"?

The other day I bought a widescreen CRT. Ok, no I didn't.

I bought this one a few weeks ago
http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2353V-PF.jsp

Fantastic screen!

Sweet, how you like it? I've got three ACER 23" monitors myself. And a 24" NEC. All LCDs though.

Actually I just realized I have the LG 23.5" FLATRON W2361VG.
http://www.lge.com/us/computer-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2361VG-PF.jsp

I love it! They sell two versions of this screen: the non-glossy (W2361V) and glossy (W2361VG). As long as you can position the screen away from some sort of light source I would recommend the glossy over non-glossy. The colors are bright and crisp, and look amazing for gaming and watching films. I also don't have a problem with using Flash and designing sites in Photoshop. Actually, come to think of it, the screen is better than my Dell XPS M1710 widescreen. If memory serves I believe I bought my W2361VG at Best Buy for $240 plus tax.

55. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 11, 2010, 00:09 ViRGE

jayeffaar wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:30:
Just like in the case of the first game, I don't see why the widescreen version should necessarily have a wider FOV. That is certainly one way to do it, but keeping the same FOV as in the 4:3 version seems like a valid design decision, if that's what they wanted to do. I certainly wouldn't call it a bug, or claim that widescreen support doesn't work properly.
Exactly. Sometimes you want a fixed, narrow FOV to increase player tension by limiting what they can see, and it also helps to improve performance by limiting what must be drawn. It's not a very common design decision, but it's not wrong.

The only problem are that people are trying to apply a TV/movie paradigm to games - to make a movie fit on a 4:3 TV you pan & scan it because people would bitch to no end about letterboxing if you didn't chop bits off.

You don't have to do this on a game, instead you just have to render a bit more of a vertical view, all of which is easy since it's a bit more of the floor and things above the gameplay plane, which means there are no complex assets. There's no reason why a 4:3 game must have anything cropped, which is basically what people are asking for - that extra vertical FOV is just the modern day letterbox.

Anyhow, since people are used to 4:3 being cropped, this sets up the expectation that anything widescreen has to have more on the sides, which for games is wrong. Since nothing was cropped on the 4:3 (we "letterboxed" by adding vertical FOV) there's nothing to add to the sides. Most games are already designed at a widescreen AR; you're not missing anything.

This is as bad as people whining about letterboxing on 4:3.

Edit: And just to be clear, I'm talking about games in general, not just Bioshock. I realize they're going to patch this (and $5 says that they'll just make 4:3 narrower).

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 00:13.

54. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 22:44 Overon

I just don't understand how they could F up 2x in a row!
They made a post that I linked to in my last post kind of explaining what happened. I will give them a benefit of the doubt and my anger has be lessened by their explanation of what happened.

53. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 20:43 xXBatmanXx

I just don't understand how they could F up 2x in a row!  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

52. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 20:08 Jensen

jayeffaar wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:30:
Just like in the case of the first game, I don't see why the widescreen version should necessarily have a wider FOV. That is certainly one way to do it, but keeping the same FOV as in the 4:3 version seems like a valid design decision, if that's what they wanted to do. I certainly wouldn't call it a bug, or claim that widescreen support doesn't work properly.

Exactly.... They chose to lock the horizontal FOV instead of the vertical FOV.(edit: I guess they split the difference) This probably isn't the best way to do it, but it isn't wrong.

Does the game display differently on a PC and a console when both are set at a 16:9 resolution? If the console version has a wider FOV, I understand the complaining.

Just let the user customize their FOV and there won't be any issues.

The movie Avatar was shown at different aspect ratios depending on the theater and whether it was in 3D or 2D. The widest version cut off some of the image vertically. The 4:3 DVD version of Finding Nemo had the same horizontal FOV as the 16:9 theater version.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 20:28.

51. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:41 Diabolus in Musica

kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 19:28:
So...they still use CRTs over there? Completely oblivious to this "fancy new widescreen technology"?

Fantastic screen!

Sweet, how you like it? I've got three ACER 23" monitors myself. And a 24" NEC. All LCDs though.

50. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:32 The PC Warrior

so am i allowed to use a joystick for flight sims? can i use a wheel in racing games? what if i like using a gamepad for racing games instead? maybe you idiots could give me a handbook that covers what is ok to do on my damned computer. every idiot telling other people how to use their shit should take their own advice, you dont know shit about pc gaming.  

49. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:30 jayeffaar

48. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:28 Kxmode

Fantastic screen!

47. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:25 Kxmode

If people want to play a game with a gamepad go play the console version! Sheessh.  

46. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 19:06 Diabolus in Musica

45. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 16:57 AdamK47

kimbambaman wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 14:21:
I guess I should count myself fortunate, I am having NONE of the issues being described here. Controls seem solid, no aspect ratio weirdness, game runs very smoothly for me.

The dispay isn't vert-? Are you sure?

44. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 16:27 Avecrien

I prefer to play these sorts of games with a 360 controller. I don't own a console.
If the game is being made for both the 360 and the PC, the resources needed to make sure I can use the controller on the PC are tiny.

Not being able to use my controllers means I'm not picking up this or Mass Effect2. I'm sure they're awesome, but at least I've got other good games to keep me busy that have controller support. I may come back to pick these up at some point down the road, but they won't be first on the list.

43. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 16:24 Acleacius

Typical 2k lost at least 20% of there sales with Bioshock because they didn't make it Shader 2 compatible, 40% of Steam att were said they were interested but their video card wasn't supported. It would have taken one programmer probably less than 20 hours to compile a Shader 2 file.

Utter stupidity, they lost 20% sales becasue of either ignorance or arrogance.

How could this or anything be a surprise from these clowns.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

42. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 16:08 Overon

Well I have lessened my resentment toward 2k now because of this post:
http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/widescreenannouncement
They admit they made a mistake and they show you exactly what the consequences of that mistake are and how they intend to fix it. I say that all games should just let people adjust the fov to whatever they want especially in single player games and set any resolution they want. Quake 2 has let us do and every FPS on PC should too.

Still this is distressing that a patch wasn't available on release day to address this, how could they not have known this was a problem? But I'm glad a patch is coming.

41. Re: PC BioShock 2 Widescreen & Gamepad Issues Feb 10, 2010, 16:03 Verno

I am OK with that. But jumping up and down bitching like this only sends mixed signals to the developers as to what PC users want. I DO NOT want these people clamoring for 360 controller support to make developers go back to being lazy and doing nothing to the UI for the majority of us who use KB&M.

They've been doing that for quite some time anyways, most games will be made with primarily gamepad suited UI's anyways, so allowing for gamepads to be used doesn't detract from any development efforts because its literally already there. In most cases the only changes are visually related to what picture is shown during in-game tutorials on how to execution actions. Very few games actually have a unique UI for the PC these days unfortunately. No one is really "confused" about anything, it's a certification requirement for GfWL support anyways which is what makes this a truly bizarre situation.

On the topic of 360 support. If you add controller support to a game why do you make it so it ONLY works with the 360 controller? I have seen a few games do this already. Whats so wrong with adding generic gamepad support?

You'll get a mixed answer here. Some people think it was a Microsoft conspiracy to make everyone own their controller and maybe there's some truth to that. There's also the fact that the third party market went totally fucking crazy with controller designs and developers bitched heavily about it because using DirectInput wasn't enough to accommodate for all of the various controllers. The industry also saw it as a problem for getting a wider audience on the PC. All of those are probably true in some respect.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 16:19.

Playing: Everquest Next Alpha, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: Evidence, Longmire, Chained

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo