Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

All EA Titles to Have "Online Component"

"In fiscal 2011 [April 2010 – March 2011], every one of EA’s releases will have an online component, both downloadable content and online play, and don’t forget that we have a full roster of titles coming from our online subscription site, pogo.com, from our mobile and iPhone group, and of course, our social gaming team, Playfish," said EA COO John Schappert during yesterday's post-earnings conference call with investors. This was found by Edge Online in hashing through a transcript of the call put together by Seeking Alpha. Thanks Mike Martinez.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 10, 2010, 13:34 xXBatmanXx

...and pay for DLC. That is the new hotness - so EXPECT it with everygame.

Step 1: Be a game company
Step 2: Make a game 20% complete and charge 50USD or more
Step 3: Release the other 80% via paid DLC
Step 4: Piss off gamers who have more money than common sense and make huge profits.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 10, 2010, 13:27 space captain

yeh, and its called DRM  
Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 10, 2010, 10:16 Verno

I think it's a big assumption to think that some other big company with the budget to produce those games will snap up those IP and use them. Even just purchasing the IP itself can be a hellish process.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

14. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 09:33 Silicon Avatar

Well, it got Fallout games back out to the forefront. That's better than it being lost to time.

EA has Ultima, Starflight, Sentinel Worlds, and tons of other good IPs that are stuck away in a file somewhere while they crank out the latest FPS clone or NFL game.

13. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 09:08 JoeNapalm

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 08:51:
I wish EA would go the way of Interplay - die and sell out their good IP to studios that aren't bureaucracies.

Yeah, that did wonders for Interplay's IPs.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

12. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 09:06 J

MMO Sims makes baby Jesus cry  

11. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 10, 2010, 08:51 Silicon Avatar

I wish EA would go the way of Interplay - die and sell out their good IP to studios that aren't bureaucracies.

I'm sure there are plenty of talented people at EA, but they hardly ever get to show it.

10. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 05:27 Tanto Edge

And to further our little tradition of the obvious:
The question I asked, was rhetorical.
Spare me. When you have something to say, maybe you'll start your own statements, or share a point of view, rather than ride on the coat tails of those with an opinion.
I'll save my smilies for more compelling posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 04:34 Kxmode

Jeraxle wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 21:43:
...Also, don't forget that we'll shutdown said online components without any warning whatsoever and way before the life of our product is over.

In short, we've decided to be the Jack Kevorkian of gaming.

EA: You want this game don't you?
My inner child: Yes Yes!
EA: You really want to play this game called Ultima Online 2?
My inner child: Oh yes! I really do! I've collected all the screenshots, and movies! I even made a fan site for it! I can't wait. Smitten
EA presses the KILL button
EA: Oh. Sooo sorry! We've decided that game isn't fun enough for you.

/cry

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 04:56.

8. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 04:24 eRe4s3r

To continue with pointing out the obvious to you

You yourself asked - "Why in the name of all that is good and holy, would anything REQUIRE online?"

Of course, the even more obvious answer is "to fight 2nd hand sales / resales / trade-ins / rent" ;p And for that purpose including (no matter how pointless) online components and serial to account links the better for EA.

7. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 01:59 Tanto Edge

Did you just point out the obvious to me? Wow, that's funny.
Please rethink your triviality and re-post.

No he never stated it'd be an required online component.
He said :
every one of EA’s releases will have an online component, both downloadable content and online play

That sounds pretty black and white to me. What the fuck are you trying to argue?
I have a browser and do not need an in-game online component. I need a properly engineered online component for my multiplayer games.

If EA would like to start a Steam platform of their own, that's an entirely different matter. However, this doesn't bode consistency, proper integration, etc.
It bodes of 360's connecting to PSN and other foul-ups we'll be reading about here on Blues.

Now shove off, nobody's impressed with your logo recognition skills.

6. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 00:59 Drayth

Id really like to see Bioware and Valve get about as far away from these guys as possible.

5. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 10, 2010, 00:37 eRe4s3r

Uh yeah, he never said it be an required online component, he meant DLC and Online play and or Online Features ala what in-game cerberus network in ME2 looks like ;p This is not like Ubisofts forced anal online exam every time you (try) to start a game you own.

Also ME2 is developed by bioware.. but the publisher is EA. Same for Dragon Age ;p

4. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 10, 2010, 00:29 Tanto Edge

Oh goody. Someone want to find this fruitcake and punch him? Repeatedly if necessary. I swear, I don't understand what asshats like this hope to accomplish with idiotic fucking requirements like, 'online elements'.
Wasn't it EA that fucked up Shift, their online element on the 360 was trying to hook up with the PSN? Yeah, nice work EA. Hey maybe if they were a bit more focused on making good games rather than pretty games (and marketing the fuck out of them) we wouldn't need goofball requirements like an 'online element'.

What a bunch of fucktards. Why in the name of all that is good and holy, would anything REQUIRE online? Shits sakes, Mass Effect 2 has DLC but is it necessary that it be through the 'Cerberus Network'? NO! There's no multiplayer, there's no chat program, there's no POINT! Developed by Bioware, amazing game, doesn't need online. DOES NOT NEED ONLINE.
Fuck pogo.com (and every online social gaming site) and fuck John Schappert in his ass with a barbed dildo.
And fuck Farmville.

3. Re: All EA Titles to Have Feb 9, 2010, 22:32 Donkey_Punch

Jeraxle wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 21:43:

lol, nice

2. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 9, 2010, 21:43 Jeraxle

...Also, don't forget that we'll shutdown said online components without any warning whatsoever and way before the life of our product is over.

Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

1. Re: All EA Titles to Have "Online Component" Feb 9, 2010, 21:37 CommunistHamster

A bath every 6 months, whether I need one or not!  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo