Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2

2K Games announces BioShock 2 is now available worldwide, offering a sequel to the Objectivism-themed first-person shooter. The new game adds multiplayer to the mix. This inspires 2K president Christoph Hartmann to say this settles the whole art question: "BioShock represented a watershed moment in the gaming industry when it illustrated that games, like feature films, can be viewed as art - both in art design and in the rich depth of the narrative." Here's word on the game:

The single player serves as a sequel to the original game and provides fans with an unsettling storyline, dazzling visual design and the evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter gameplay. Set almost a decade after a grueling civil war consumed the once magnificent city of Rapture, evil reverberates through the halls and a wickedness once thought gone forever returns along the Atlantic seaboard. An unspeakable series of kidnappings from local seaside communities by an unseen monster leads to the repopulation of Little Sisters in Rapture’s failed utopia under the ocean. Players must step into the boots of one of gaming's most iconic characters, the Big Daddy, as they traverse through the fallen city, fending off attacks from an army of genetically modified Splicers, while searching for escape and the key to their survival.

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides fans with a rich and engrossing prequel experience that expands upon the fiction of Rapture’s origins. Set during the year before Rapture’s descent into chaos, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a key provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city that was first explored in BioShock. Players will enter into areas from the original title as they struggle to gain superiority in frantically paced battles.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:03 Sempai

I agree GFWL is utter horseshit but im enjoying the game immensely so far.

Call it what you will.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Ugh. This game isn't even worth pirating. I won't even give them the satisfaction that I would even bother downloading it and burning it to a disc that I might actually install at some unspecified point in the future when I'm so hard up for something to play that I would stoop to sullying my hard drive with this game.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 13:36 PHJF

When even Gametrailers calls your game too linear, you know you have a problem.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 12:40 SpectralMeat

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 12:19:
Well if the game isn't great, I'll at least have only paid $35 for it in a 4 pack.
So anyway, I have lots of gamage to do if BS2 turns out to be not that great. I enjoyed BS 1 though.

Same here. I am playing SupCom Forged Alliance again and Mass Effect 2 so I have plenty of games to kill time.

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 12:34 Verno

Give the Fellout mod a whirl Dev, it totally transforms the skies/vistas in amazing ways.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 12:33 Kxmode

Mac Dad and Lil Sis FTW \o/  

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 12:19 Dev

Looks like steam is unlocked now (I just got up). Well if the game isn't great, I'll at least have only paid $35 for it in a 4 pack.

Also, I'm in the middle of another playthrough of Fallout 3 (after I bought the collectors edition of the Guide, the GOTY one that includes all the DLC). Plus I went through and picked out a bunch of mods that I really liked to do my 2nd playthrough.
Such as the underground hideout. OMG that thing is SO awesome. I never use my megaton house now. And sprint mod! Man beth shoulda included that (it uses AP so you can't sprint 100% of time). I also threw in EVE (for much much MUCH better energy gun visuals/sounds/deaths, and the weapon kid mod so I can add things like scopes to guns).

So anyway, I have lots of gamage to do if BS2 turns out to be not that great. I enjoyed BS 1 though.

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 11:21 nin

it should've taken place BEFORE the Bioshock 1.

I was screaming that from the get-go, and it's my biggest turn off. I wanted to see the fall of Rapture.

I'm sure they'll try to go back to that for Bioshock 3, 4, or 5, but its too late...they've fucked it up, and I no longer want to buy it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 11:17 theyarecomingforyou

I really enjoyed the original game and paid full price for it. I went in on a 4-pack for Bioshock 2, otherwise I probably would have passed, and so far my initial impressions are relatively positive. However, it's nothing on the original - the graphics now look quite dated, it reuses many of the gameplay mechanics / plot devices of the original, etc. It really does feel like an expansion pack and everything feels less exciting - from the lacklustre intro sequence to the same old graphics. Certainly I can't see why it took them two and a half years. Even with the twist of playing the big daddy the game plays exactly the same.

So it's well worth playing but don't go expecting too much from it. I'll give multiplayer a go later but my expectations are very low. In terms of sequels I'm more impressed with what Mass Effect 2 has done.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 11:19.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 11:02 Ray Marden

Not that I am admitting to owning it or anything...but this really does play like a brainless Bioshock. No intrigue, no mystery, no build up, nothing new - just kill, kill, kill!

Hopefully my mind changes later on, but this just plays like a pure shooter in the same art set as the previous game. It still makes this game a good shooter, but it just doesn't feel like much of a Bioshock game and still really think they went the wrong direction with this game.

Why not a wildly different, current version of that world? Why not a reason to come back to the city? Why not some crazy new game continuing from either ending?

Edit: This game is incredibly linear, too. I'm not saying the first game was necessarily open world, but most of a given area was closed with the exceptio of a small portion that was dedicated to a given quest. But now, you literally only have access to one small portion of the level at a time. Go down this hallway to get the item so you can go down that hallway. Once you have that hallway cleared, this next hallway will open up.
And yeah, don't buy this is you hate DRM. Securom is evil and GFWL is tedious.
Curious to see what its sales are like,
Ray

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 12:26.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:48 Eldaron Imotholin

space captain wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 10:21:
i paid full price for the first game and that was way too much

its a fairly solid 20$ title tho

mildly better than generic

Can't say I agree with you here. For that time the game was well worth the full price that I paid for it, imo. I had a great lot of fun!

Frankly though this game apperantly had it from its originality in the setting and atmosphere, because the news of Bioshock 2 left me cold.

I've watched the review on Gametrailers and they comfirm what I (and others) have been shouting all the time: It's the same as the first one and thus while being a good game, it's overshadowed by the first.

This sequel does not deserve any cash. The developers were too pussy to try something new. It looks and feels like Bioshock 1 + they made 2 horrible missteps the moment they started on this game:

1. You're a big daddy. I always thought that idea wouldn't sit well with me while playing the game and I experienced firsthand today that it indeed doesn't. As I feared, the idea of being a big fat abomination in a wetsuit destroys my attempt to immerse myself.

2. The game takes place AFTER the first, so AFTER Rapture has gone to fuck. Result: Rapture is still that same place that has gone to fuck, wackos included. I think we can all agree that IF a Bioshock 2 had to be made... it should've taken place BEFORE the Bioshock 1.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:46 Aganazer

GFWL kills this one for me. Maybe I'll tolerate the disruptive annoy-ware when it drops to $5, but there is no way I'll pay full retail and then subject myself to the torture that GFWL causes.  

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:42 nin

I enjoyed Bioshock 1 and would be buying this if not for the DRM (specifically GfWL).

I liked the original, but I've hated the direction they took with the sequel (story wise), and it just looks like an expansion pack. The DRM was the final straw...

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:36 Frijoles

I enjoyed Bioshock 1 and would be buying this if not for the DRM (specifically GfWL). That lowers the price I'll pay for it to $5, so next xmas.  

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:21 space captain

i paid full price for the first game and that was way too much

its a fairly solid 20$ title tho

mildly better than generic

Go forth, and kill!

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:14 Verno

Yeah I can't really say I was ever wanting a sequel to this game. It was a fine game but not a trilogy property.  

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 10:04 nin

Die! Die! Die!

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo