Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2

2K Games announces BioShock 2 is now available worldwide, offering a sequel to the Objectivism-themed first-person shooter. The new game adds multiplayer to the mix. This inspires 2K president Christoph Hartmann to say this settles the whole art question: "BioShock represented a watershed moment in the gaming industry when it illustrated that games, like feature films, can be viewed as art - both in art design and in the rich depth of the narrative." Here's word on the game:

The single player serves as a sequel to the original game and provides fans with an unsettling storyline, dazzling visual design and the evolution of the genetically enhanced shooter gameplay. Set almost a decade after a grueling civil war consumed the once magnificent city of Rapture, evil reverberates through the halls and a wickedness once thought gone forever returns along the Atlantic seaboard. An unspeakable series of kidnappings from local seaside communities by an unseen monster leads to the repopulation of Little Sisters in Rapture’s failed utopia under the ocean. Players must step into the boots of one of gaming's most iconic characters, the Big Daddy, as they traverse through the fallen city, fending off attacks from an army of genetically modified Splicers, while searching for escape and the key to their survival.

Multiplayer in BioShock 2 provides fans with a rich and engrossing prequel experience that expands upon the fiction of Rapture’s origins. Set during the year before Rapture’s descent into chaos, players assume the role of a Plasmid test subject for Sinclair Solutions, a key provider of Plasmids and Tonics in the underwater city that was first explored in BioShock. Players will enter into areas from the original title as they struggle to gain superiority in frantically paced battles.

View
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

37. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 19:47 Overon

It's hard not to take this as another insult to pc gamers. It's hard not to feel like a victim here. If everyone remember bioshock 1 fucked up the display for pc gamers exactly in the same ways as bioshock 2. It really makes you wonder how this could have happened again.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 19:19 Prez

Like others here I have to say nothing I've seen about this sequel in previews, screenshots, or trailers has really grabbed me. I remember being pretty stoked to play the first one; not so this time. I think a lot of it has to do with 2K's ill-advised focus on multiplayer, something exactly NO ONE who was a fan of the first game was asking for.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still really enamored by the setting and theme overall. I'll keep an eye out for the few reviewers I somewhat trust, and catch it on a Steam sale.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 18:42 Eldaron Imotholin

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 17:52:
Relax dude. That's nothing compared to the kind of shit we see around here from the We Hate Everything crowd (who, as an aside, need to hurry up and kill themselves if they hate everything so much.)

As opposed to idiots like you from the "We're so easily amused we love everything because we're morons crowd!"? We don't hate everything, we just believe in calling devs and publishers on their bullshit and bad decisions when we see them/play them. Try and acquire some discriminating taste already, jackhole. Not everything is all just super-happy-fun-time!

What the heck is that hate for? Relax.

What NKD was saying is that he hates the guys that just post stuff like "This game is gay! It sucks!" without giving voice to arguments WHY they have that opinion. He was thereby defending me, because I basically said "It sucks!" but I gave a descriptive reason WHY so.

There's nothing wrong with hating stuff, as long as you name some arguments that make sense instead of just hating for the sake of hating.

Got that, you hateful little man?

Also, thank you guys for giving a small summary of why STALKER is worth giving another shot. I'll definitely give it another try.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 18:43.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

34. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 17:52 Cutter

Relax dude. That's nothing compared to the kind of shit we see around here from the We Hate Everything crowd (who, as an aside, need to hurry up and kill themselves if they hate everything so much.)

As opposed to idiots like you from the "We're so easily amused we love everything because we're morons crowd!"? We don't hate everything, we just believe in calling devs and publishers on their bullshit and bad decisions when we see them/play them. Try and acquire some discriminating taste already, jackhole. Not everything is all just super-happy-fun-time!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 17:26 PHJF

I'd genuinely like some of my fellow Bluesnews guys to give me a shortstory of what's good about it.

Atmosphere and weapon mechanics. Shadow of Chernobyl had pretty much the best atmosphere of any game I've played. Clear Sky, however, was crap and attempted to fix what wasn't broken, and also borrowed far too heavily from its predecessor.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 16:55 dryden555

Very atmospheric FPS game that moves between frantic and fun shootouts and careful exploration of environments. Generally speaking, great sound and level design. Some creepy non-human enemies . The first game had an aimless mission structure that tarnished it but the main story and conclusion were good. Clear Sky was very disappointing I thought -- just lots of shooting at over-strong AI foes. The new one fixes most of the problems and once again you are alone exploring a large ruined landscape. The gameworld ramdonly creates things that happen around you and those things can be good or bad. It is at its heart an FPS so if you dont like that you wont like the game. Check out the demo whenever it comes out if you arent sure!  

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 16:17 ^Drag0n^

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:51:
I'm having no issue whatsoever with widescreen.

Also, doesn't the widescreen screenshot look better than the normal one? It's entirely possible I'm being really stupid right now and completely misunderstand the problem here...

No worries, Eldaron--

In a nutshell: They're cropping the top and bottom of the screen, rather than widening the POV from 75 to ~90 degrees to fill in the added area on the side. Same thing happened with the last Bioshock game, which was subsequently fixed in a later patch. I noticed it then because it was, coincidentally, when I swiched my 4:3 in for a 16:9 monitor.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:54 NKD

Sempai wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:18:
Christ you sound like a complete whiner.
Every one of your posts are nothing but bitching and moaning.
Heres an idea, unplug your dell, go outside and walk it off.

He explained what he didn't like, and that's fine. It's the people who go into threads and just spam "Epic fail!" and trot out tired shit like "Wharez mah Lean!!" who need to fuck off.

We should all be okay with people who actually dislike stuff because they don't enjoy it, rather than because they are no-life zeroes whose entire lives revolve around politicizing gaming.

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:51:

Also, doesn't the widescreen screenshot look better than the normal one? It's entirely possible I'm being really stupid right now and completely misunderstand the problem here...

The problem is that they don't set the proper FOV, so the vertical space gets clipped. Rather than getting the same vertical space plus some additional horizontal space.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 15:55.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:53 nin

I remember them saying that WS wouldn't be an issue this time around.

Elizabeth2K would never lie or distort the truth, would she?????????

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:51 Eldaron Imotholin

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:35:
OMG, are you kidding me? Widescreen is broken...again? "Sounds like deja-vu....all over again..." (sic.)

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56869
http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18374

Comparison (from widescreen gaming forum post by Csokis) :

4:3 vs. 16:9WS

Pretty big snafu. I remember them saying that WS wouldn't be an issue this time around. Guess I should have waited on that pre-order :/

^D^

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:48 Eldaron Imotholin

PHJF wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:45:
Back to playing the new Stalker.

I'd be doin that on my main rig right now if my psu hadnt fried itself! I got to play a few hours of it and Pripyat looks like a big step in the right direction as opposed to Clear Sky.

I've been trying my best to like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. since the moment the first one came out...

I'd genuinely like some of my fellow Bluesnews guys to give me a shortstory of what's good about it. =P

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:45 PHJF

Back to playing the new Stalker.

I'd be doin that on my main rig right now if my psu hadnt fried itself! I got to play a few hours of it and Pripyat looks like a big step in the right direction as opposed to Clear Sky.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:41 dryden555

So far, the initial reviews arent making me want the game. More-of-the-same shooting and many of the same plasmids. Back to playing the new Stalker.  

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:37 ^Drag0n^

<snip>

Verno-- NM. Found the answer.

^D^

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 15:44.

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:35 ^Drag0n^

OMG, are you kidding me? Widescreen is broken...again? "Sounds like deja-vu....all over again..." (sic.)

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56869
http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18374

Comparison (from widescreen gaming forum post by Csokis) :

4:3 vs. 16:9WS

Pretty big snafu. I remember them saying that WS wouldn't be an issue this time around. Guess I should have waited on that pre-order :/

^D^

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 15:43.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:30 Eldaron Imotholin

Then, by all means, get the game.

The irony.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:19 nin

He explained, in detail, why he didn't like it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:18 Sempai

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 15:11:
I've played some more and I seriously got bored to death by that game.

So those pussy developers didn't have the guts to try anything new (NOTHING!) except for, of course, the story and the fact that you play a Big Daddy. BUT!!! the only things that remind you you're playing a big daddy are the heavy grunting you do when you jump or get hit and so forth; because you're looking through a helmet; and because you have a big drill that consumes so much fuel it's empty after drilling through the third enemy.

Furthermore NOTHING changed. Not the gameplay, not the plasmids, not even the introduction clips that explain what the plasmids do. Sure there are some new ones, but I haven't bought or used them yet.

The most stupid thing of all: You die even faster than the human you were in Bioshock 1, I think. Also, the enemies charge at you like you're a little, fat and spoiled child with a backpack full of Adam. Seriously. They don't scream that a Big Fucking Daddy is charging them with a Big Fucking Drill, nothing. They just.. charge.. like in Bioshock 1.

This game is a joke that would've been a great expansion pack 2,5 years ago.

PS: Hacking has improved.... sorta.
PPS: Take my advice and do NOT buy this game.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:11 Eldaron Imotholin

I've played some more and I seriously got bored to death by that game.

So those pussy developers didn't have the guts to try anything new (NOTHING!) except for, of course, the story and the fact that you play a Big Daddy. BUT!!! the only things that remind you you're playing a big daddy are the heavy grunting you do when you jump or get hit and so forth; because you're looking through a helmet; and because you have a big drill that consumes so much fuel it's empty after drilling through the third enemy.

Furthermore NOTHING changed. Not the gameplay, not the plasmids, not even the introduction clips that explain what the plasmids do. Sure there are some new ones, but I haven't bought or used them yet.

The most stupid thing of all: You die even faster than the human you were in Bioshock 1, I think. Also, the enemies charge at you like you're a little, fat and spoiled child with a backpack full of Adam. Seriously. They don't scream that a Big Fucking Daddy is charging them with a Big Fucking Drill, nothing. They just.. charge.. like in Bioshock 1.

This game is a joke that would've been a great expansion pack 2,5 years ago.

PS: Hacking has improved.... sorta.
PPS: Take my advice and do NOT buy this game.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 15:13.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock 2 Feb 9, 2010, 15:11 NKD

Got it installed a few hours ago and have been playing it. If you liked the first game you'll like this one. A lot more fighting it seems like though.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo