Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2010, 12:54 Ray Marden

For myself, my gaming skills are always relevant to what I am actively playing and/or have interest in.

I am extremely familiar with a mouse and keyboard now and would utterly suck with a controller. But could I learn? Absolutely. I used to dominate in deathmatch using just a keyboard, but I haven't kept those skills honed and I would be happy to just stay alive if I was using only the keyboard today.

On a grander scope, I will say that my tastes are changing. I am still a FPS gamer at heart, but there needs to be a unique draw to it. I find the "Let's just run around shooting each other with guns!" mentality fairly repulsive these days, but I cannot deny my love for it in my earlier years. Now, though, I am (relatively) spreading out into a wider range of genres and styles and I do want more story, interaction, depth, uniqueness, follow through, etc. I have more money than any other point in my life, but I find myself to be much more discerning of a title's actual "worth" in my eyes.
I have a bigger grouping of items I think should be mandatory, too.
So glad those Bioshock 2 pre-loads are available...oh...wait...,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2010, 12:51 pob

that was a nice little read, and something i empathise with entirely. For a while I thought it was just that I did FFA to death - which I probably did. Slowly, however, the obvious realisation happened; I'm just an old gamer. I remember once playing Tribes Vengeance (ahem) I was talking to someone and they asked how old I was...

<me> 30.
<him> wow.

That was a while ago now. The older you get (and definitely on a console) the more you feel like playing with just your friends, the more you can't be bothered to run with someone atleast 60% younger than you. On top of that, the older you get the harder it is for you and your friends to get online at the same time. Then you get a second realisation; its quite easy to not recognise the sweet spot when you're there, and it all becomes a bit Lethal-Weapon.

2. Re: etc. Feb 8, 2010, 12:10 Verno

I do alright in shooters but certainly not as well as I used to. It's just a reality that your reflexes and motor skills will continue to degrade over the course of your life. I think that's why I prefer more strategy driven shooters as opposed to dumb twitch crap like MW2.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

1. Re: etc. Old men Feb 8, 2010, 11:54 sc4r4b

I'm in my mid 30's and I can keep up in most shooters with no problem. That said, I play shooters on a PC. I know I'd get my ass handed to me if I played on a console.  

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo