Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well the Super Bowl has come and gone, the game was entertaining enough, though not quite the shootout many of us expected. The chili came out great, though a little on the hot side (starting from the perspective of our normal six-alarm chili, which most people won't actually eat), as the habanero peppers I found were unusually large, making the proper amount to use difficult to determine. I never did try making the wings... that gives me something to shoot for next time.

Hotter Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Zoo Transport.
Crop Defenders.
Sketchpad. Thanks drexal.
Links: Ben Bernanke admits to being influenced by sim video games.
10 Needlessly Perverted Mainstream Games.
Big Game Ads.
Science: Plasma Jets Could Replace Dental Drills. Thanks Slashdot.
Shuttle Endeavour blasts off for space station.
Images: How much you want to play your Video Games . Thanks Digg.
M.C. Portal. Thanks Digg.
APOD: A Sun Halo Over Cambodia. Thanks brother19.
Media: Jersey Shore- Super Mario Bros.
Super Bowl XLIV.
Know Your Meme: Advice Dog.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 16:54 PHJF

UGH, I'm trying to RMA the smoking PSU and because I changed email addresses ~2 years ago to gmail I can't come up with any of the logins for the sites from which I ordered. I probably still have a hard copy of the invoices but that's back in Ohio while I'm still in NC x_x

In the meantime I've taken it upon myself to order a tasty little XFX XPS-850W-BES. While the internet has spent the better part of the last few years ogling the might of Corsair's PSUs, I've decided to give good ol' XFX the benefit of the doubt. I know they make quality GFX cards, and this new power supply represents their first foray into the PSU market. It's built on the same Seasonic OEM Corsair uses and should provide similar capabilities.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 15:54 strich

Anyone have any experience with Windows Home Server? Love any input you guys have.  

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 15:04 Cutter

Sigh, football season is over again. Oh well, at least that means spring and summer are on the way - hopefully in short order.

I'll never understand the draw of "reality TV" whatsoever. Same thing with the vast majority of network shows either.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 14:27 space captain

something like 'top chef' is in a different category altogether tho.. they dont play up the "behind scenes drama" that much, maybe a bit here and there to flesh out the people but thats about it

these other shows are all about "behind scenes drama" and thats it - there is no competition involved, no creative talents being applied

it should be pretty obvious why that show is so popular. its because drama is popular - people cant fucking get enough. they spend almost every waking moment on it

high-school is just like the hotel california... you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 14:02 Pigeon

strich wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 12:32:
I don't get it. What's the appeal to Jersey Shore?

My theory is people like to feel better about their own despicable/idiotic behavior by watching people who are even more despicable and idiotic. Frankly show's like Jersey Shore just make me sad. I prefer the more positive/skill based reality shows like biggest loser or top chef where some sort of positive action is taken to win.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 13:58 strich

I've been playing Battlefield Heroes lately. Yeah, it's scaled back and graphics aren't great, but it's fun. And it has PunkBuster. Isn't that an anti-cheat software?  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 13:42 PHJF

I don't even know why I bother playing online shooters anymore......does ANYONE play without cheating!>? good lord.

That's why you have admin!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 13:42 Creston

Quboid wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 12:10:
I watched the Super Bowl, the first time I've watched American Football. I can't say I understood everything but I did follow the basics and it was enjoyable. The only thing that consistently confused me was who was attacking and who was defending. It seemed to only really switch when one team scored, meaning the whole game was tit-for-tat, one team scores, then the other, with roles not changing apart from when there is a score.

It can switch more often than that. You only have 4 attempts to move the ball ten yards. If you fail at that, the opposite team takes over on offense where you ended. Because of this, 99.9999999999999999999% of all times, teams will try to get 10 yards in 3 tries, and if they fail, they'll punt it to the other team, to move them farther back down the field.

I understand the onside pass at the start of the 3rd quarter (ooh look at me using the lingo!) was an attempt to switch this - normally teams start by booting it long and chasing so the other team has most of the field to try to gain, but in this case they played it short and then tried to get it to become the attacking team, at the risk of giving it away relatively close to their goal line. Right?

Onside KICK, but yes.
After a kick-off has gone ten yards, it's a free ball, basically. So either team can recover it. So they try to kick it JUST ten yards so their own team has a chance to recover it. Onside kicks are a really low-percentage play, I think they succeed something like 14% of the time normally, but that's because in most cases the defense knows you're going to do one. (like if there's one minute left in the game and you're down.)

In this case it was very surprising that they did an onside kick, though I still shake my head that the Colts keep falling for this again and again and again. A second half onside kick has been done against them at least five or six times that I can remember, and every single time it's succeeded.

Teams know they can't (or barely can) defend against Peyton Manning, so the best bet is to keep him off the field.

Also there was an interception - this meant the roles switched, right? In this case the Saints ran and scored immediately, but if the runner had been tackled, Saints would have been on the attack and got a "1st and 10", as I understand it.

Yep.

Is there any other ways to switch roles? If you stop the other team from gaining the 10 yards in 4 attempts, does that mean you become the attacker?

Yep. A team can also fumble, which is exactly what it says, they drop the ball. See also Peterson, Adrian. (grins at Vikings fans.)

Does any of this even make sense?

American Football really isn't that hard to follow. Sure, there's a billion rules that make no sense to anybody, but just ignore those. The basic premise of the game is :

One team on offense, one on defense. Offensive team has 4 'downs' to get ten yards. If they get ten yards, the counter resets, so they get 4 more. If they can keep gaining ten yards, they'll eventually run out of field and score. The defense's job is to keep them from getting those ten yards, and from scoring.

You can score by getting the ball into the end zone, or by kicking a field goal.

The ball cannot drop on the ground. It's usually a dead play if it does, unless someone "fumbled" it, in which case anyone can pick it up. If possession changes between teams, they switch roles.

That's it. That's American football. All the rest is superfluous.

It's interesting that although I knew none of the subtleties of the game, I was still telling the TV that the Saints totally converted that touchdown for 2 points, c'mon ref are you blind?! The video replay system is something (real) football badly needs.

We had a huge argument about that play. Obviously the ball broke the plane of the goal line, so it's a TD/2 point conversion, but what was being argued was that he never had "possession" of the football. That's one of those idiot rules in football that never make sense to anybody.

They've actually changed it slightly. Two years ago, the rule basically went that you didn't have possession unless you "made a football move."

And yes, it was that fucking vague. I always argued that players needed to catch the ball, then do the Ickey Shuffle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f-m-Fmd1lY

But it was a good game. I'm a bit amazed the Saints outscored the Colts 31-7 in 3 quarters, but I'm happy for Brees that he won a ring.

Creston

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 12:55 nin

It's trash tv, America's favorite.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 12:49 xXBatmanXx

I don't even know why I bother playing online shooters anymore......does ANYONE play without cheating!>? good lord.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Ben Bernanke admits to being influenced by sim video games. Feb 8, 2010, 12:47 LittleMe

lols. Put in straightforward terms that most people can understand. But it's no different from what the Fed has been doing for decades, but now the lunacy of it is coming to light. Our currency, the dollar, is a scam, a lie, enslaving and causes a lot of suffering. Not all money does this, but FIAT currencies do.  

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 12:32 strich

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 12:10 Quboid

I watched the Super Bowl, the first time I've watched American Football. I can't say I understood everything but I did follow the basics and it was enjoyable. The only thing that consistently confused me was who was attacking and who was defending. It seemed to only really switch when one team scored, meaning the whole game was tit-for-tat, one team scores, then the other, with roles not changing apart from when there is a score.

I understand the onside pass at the start of the 3rd quarter (ooh look at me using the lingo!) was an attempt to switch this - normally teams start by booting it long and chasing so the other team has most of the field to try to gain, but in this case they played it short and then tried to get it to become the attacking team, at the risk of giving it away relatively close to their goal line. Right?

Also there was an interception - this meant the roles switched, right? In this case the Saints ran and scored immediately, but if the runner had been tackled, Saints would have been on the attack and got a "1st and 10", as I understand it.

Is there any other ways to switch roles? If you stop the other team from gaining the 10 yards in 4 attempts, does that mean you become the attacker?

Does any of this even make sense?

It's interesting that although I knew none of the subtleties of the game, I was still telling the TV that the Saints totally converted that touchdown for 2 points, c'mon ref are you blind?! The video replay system is something (real) football badly needs.

- Quboid

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 11:23 Bronco

Shawn Peyton is quite the coach - he has great big brass ones, that's for sure.

Freeney being hurt had a huge impact - no pressure on the D line meant the Colts secondary was hung out to dry.

Manning throwing that pick took him out of the Montana/Elway/Unitas/Brady pantheon as far as I'm concerned. He's certainly in the Favre, Marino, Kelly realm. Just my opinion of course but that pick will cost him that top tier until he wins a 2nd championship. An entertaining game until the last 5 minutes.

-TPFKAS2S

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 11:07 Prez

Was kind of intrigued by the Prince of Persia commercial spot; I'd forgotten about the plans to turn that into a movie. It's hard to say how the final product will turn out but it didn't look wretchedly horrid in the trailer...  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2010, 11:01 nin

Well the Super Bowl has come and gone

Thank god...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo