Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek Online Capacity Increased

The Star Trek Online Forums have news that Kirk's demands that Scotty provide more power for Star Trek Online have been met, and capacity in Cryptic's Trekkie MMORPG has been increased. Word is: "This downtime is strictly server maintenance to work on performance issues. No gameplay changes," and a subsequent update declares the maintenance complete. Thanks IncGamers.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 16:06 Talisorn

My only real criticism of STO is there was some kind of grand plan to allow exploration and have a randomly generated universe; you COULD be the first to discover a new race and make first contact ...

... however to get some perspective, need I mention Fable, Spore, Black and White? How many other games had grand plans to build up hype? Those game I mention are single player games. Add a order of magnitude to the difficulty to translate those grand plans into an MMO. I seriously get annoyed with the hype machine ... partially because even at my age, I'm still naive enough to buy into it, but also because game companies should KNOW that when they don't deliver all sorts of negative feedback comes around to bit them.

That said, Kudos to Cryptic for making a space based MMO that's not EVE. Contrary to some people's opinions, I find it fun. It has it's shortcomings but most MMO releases has been like that with few exceptions. And most recover and become good games in time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 14:06 Killswitch

I played to level 16 in the beta. What I didn't like about the game is that there really wasn't anywhere to explore. You just couldn't go off in your ship to find an outer region of space, land on a planet and go walking around hoping to find something cool. In fact, you can't land most planets I've found without having the mission in your log. All planets you land on have a rather small area where the quest mobs are located with an outside perimeter of nothing of interest. I have seen one planet where there was a fleet mission, though.

There's no raid grouping in this game AFAIK with groups only being 5 people, I believe. When I did fleet missions I was usually walking around with other people outside of a group. No one seemed interested in starting groups--they may as well have been bots. Same goes for when you're on a mission and you get auto-grouped with others. They may as well be your away-team bots.

One of the things I enjoy doing in an MMORPG is accumulating items. Was pretty disappointed with personal gear in STO. You have slots for your stat-less uniform that you always have on, body armor (that you can hide to show your uniform), shield (not visible), kit (belt with abilities), two weapon slots you can swap between, and some device slots where you have to equip the items you plan on using (food or health pack for instance). There is nothing else. You can't get chest piece, legs, feet, hands, helmet or anything like that.

Your ship has a bit more options to choose from. I had one with 4 weapon slots, shields, consoles that modify your bridge officer skills, and, uh, couple more things, can't find a picture right now to refresh my memory.

All the items you can get are either mission rewards or random drops. AFAIK you can't go kill so-and-so with a loot table and hope to get a drop.

Knowing what stats affect what abilities was head scratching. Your own character really doesn't have much for abilities. Your bridge officers have most the abilities you'll be using and using them on the ground felt like a PITA, unless you want to stop the action and play it like some kind of "turn based" game. I just let them run around and do their own thing.

I'm sure you've heard already, but everything is instanced. Sector space traveling is extremely frustrating. Finding out what system in what sector in what sector block you need to go to for quests really sucks ass and usually required going through multiple sector block zones and then zoning into the system. Going to spacedocks means zoning into a small area of space where nothing else exists except the spacedock, which means you have to zone in, move your ship forward for a few seconds, and then wait through another zone load. Kind of ridiculous. Also a bunch of missions are like this where you zone into the system, fly for 20 seconds to the planet or asteroid without incident, and them beam down and wait for another instance to load.

All missions are a mix of the same types objectives.. Fly to base, beam down, fight in base, beam to ship and fight in space, end of mission. Pretty much sums up the missions, just mix those elements around and sometimes make the base a planet surface. Nothing special or unexpected drops off the mobs. It's either a gun, a shield, a kit, food, energy, or a tribble. No chests or anything like that to loot in the game world besides intangible objects that are HUD pointers labeled "anomalous data" that's always a research item or unusable items for a random "collect 10" quest.

Most of the quests I received were gotten by pushing a "Hail Starfleet" button under my mini-map where I could speak to one of several NPC's who would give me a mission.

I only played several ground PVP matches. Usually waiting 10 minutes to get into a match that lasted, literally, 1 minute. Maybe they fixed this.

I already pointed in another thread the lack of 3D movement in space. Another annoying aspect of space battling was diverting power to shields. You had to keep spamming the key EVERY 3 SECONDS of the battle if you were getting hit. You should just be able to tell your crew to divert power to fore shields and don't stop until you say otherwise. And every space battle was the same deal with no real strategy. Just use your abilities to get their shields down while firing disruptors, then use your torpedoes once their shield failed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So there's a few reasons for you NOT to like it.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 14:08.

36. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 13:53 Ruffiana

More STO related news:
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/08/cryptic-clarifies-what-one-million-accounts-actually-means/

in relation to:
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/07/star-trek-online-reaches-one-million-accounts/

I expect STO to be somewhere in the 250-500k range, and then drop off very sharply after the first "free" month.

35. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 13:14 Tumbler

Are the gold spammers a big problem in game? I go to the STO website sight from time to time and read the message boards and I'm constantly finding new mail waiting for me offering gold (energy credits in this case)...I'm guessing they got the address from my message board posts but I've got at least a dozen offers for gold and power leveling services...and I don't even play the game...

And the cost of 100k of credits seems to be going up, the first offer was $9, now it's $15... Simply cranking out missions earned me more credits than I could spend in the beta...so i'm not sure why that would be.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

34. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 12:45 BobBob

I don't have any friends. Oh well.  

33. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 12:36 Sphinx

If you have a friend who bought the Collector's edition, it comes with three 10-day passes they can pass out to friends. It's how I have started playing the game.  
-Sphinx

32. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 12:24 BobBob

Is there a demo?  

31. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 12:15 Ruffiana

Ironically enough, if you don't listen to forum haters, and actually try to see the game for what it is (and more importantly, what it *isn't*), you'll probably find the game pretty good.

If you like a game, any game, don't read their forums...or you will grow to hate it.

30. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 11:03 Stanly Manly

BobBob wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 15:57:
Is this game any good at all?

Ironically enough, if you don't listen to forum haters, and actually try to see the game for what it is (and more importantly, what it *isn't*), you'll probably find the game pretty good.

Sure, the server was hiccuping there for a bit, and the login queue the other day was horrid, but the game itself actually feels like Star Trek.

Now, don't discount that. If you go into the game expecting WoW with a Star Trek skin, you are going to be disappointed. STO, for the most part, is about tactical ship to ship battles, and squad based away missions. If you are looking to "WTFPWN RAIDS AND GETPURPS", then look elsewhere.

I'll gladly rip a game a new one if it deserves it, but after brushing aside the usual forum vitriol, I gave the game a chance, and I'm glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the game is. I found myself exclaiming out loud "YES!" and raising my fist in the air when my High Yield Photon Torpedoes landed for critical damage just as I took down this Battleship's side shield. Any game that has that effect on me, deserves a bit of praise.

Now, that being said, my biggest issue with the game so far, is the ridiculous navigation system. For some reason, you are not given clear waypoints to plot a course to, in your mission description. This is absurd. The location names are extremely obscure and esoteric, and it is quite confusing to get the hang of it. Sector blocks, quadrants, systems, clusters... its the year 42 billion and we dont have an plot course feature? Sloppy, very sloppy.

Anyway, in a nutshell, if you like Star Trek, and aren't hung up on WoW, give STO a try.

No, I was not paid for this, jerks.

29. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 10:41 JoeNapalm

Pros:

-It's Star Trek (in space, really hit the feel of the setting quite well)
-Space combat is fun
-Interesting Crew management system lends depth
-Open instance grouping system makes it easy to play with others
-Highly customizable characters
-Lots of cool goodies (playable Borg, ToS and Wrath of Khan uniforms, etc)

Cons:

-While fun, space combat could have been waaay deeper (Bridge Commander) vs what they did (Starfleet Command II)
-Crew advancement is convoluted an largely nonsensical
-Away missions feel less well developed than the rest of the game...sort of a hybrid FPS but a half-hearted attempt
-MOST missions are lacking in story (though currently doing one involving the Guardian of Forever that is pretty interesting - I think a lot of people DONT READ ANYTHING then complain that the missions lack story (it's there, they just clicked through it))
- The addition of copious amounts of body armor, personal shields, and upgunned personally weaponry does not lend to Ground Missions feeling like Star Trek - once you advance a few levels, those fancy uniforms are covered in Mass Effect-esque combat gear (can be toggled off, but you're still shrugging of disruptor hits) and standard issue Starfleet weapons are replaced with heavier firepower.
-All those cool extra goodies cost cold hard cash as packetized "DLC" (so much for a utopian future where money is considered a barbaric antiquity)

I think the game is good for what it is (Star Trek MMORPG LITE), but people despise it for what it could have been (Multiplayer Bridge Commander with upscale graphics).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

28. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 10:15 Riker

Unfortunately, they didn't increase my capacity for shitty gameplay. Ha!  

27. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 07:00 Cutter

Epic fail! Haha!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 06:04 HappyWulf

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 05:33:
Just curious, because I don't play MMO's, but I was wondering if the Starship combat feels like Bridge Commander in any way. It looks similar in some screenshots I've seen.
It's more like Pirates of the Burning Sea then anything else... Think of it as a sea battle, with a really DEEP sea. Cannon turrets with limited cover, it's still mostly 2-D space but you can go up and down kinda a little bit, and you can focus your shields to front/back left/right.

25. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 05:35 BobBob

Is the game mainly 'fed ex quests' in the Star Trek Universe? The videos I've seen look very standard MMO -- talk to NPC, complete mission, come back, get rewarded, rinse, and repeat. Is this true?  

24. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 05:33 Prez

Just curious, because I don't play MMO's, but I was wondering if the Starship combat feels like Bridge Commander in any way. It looks similar in some screenshots I've seen.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

23. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 04:36 HappyWulf

NKD wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 02:35:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 01:32:
Also, there is no such thing as "DLC" in an MMO

Not true at all. EQII had DLC in the form of mini-dungeons that cost $5-$10 a pop.

I think the point is that all content in an MMO is "downloadable." Using the term DLC in relation to MMOs is pretty stupid and imprecise, honestly. The whole point of the term "downloadable content" was to distinguish between content that came on the disc, and content that did not. In MMO terms, "downloadable content" is vague and meaningless.
Pardon me if I come of as mean, but don't be stupid.
Everyone knows DLC refers to content that you pay extra for, regardless if it's on the disk when you buy the game or not. Don't forget all those cars you had to pay extra for that DID exist on the disc in that silly racing game, you were only buying a 108kb key to unlock said cars. There was no actual downloading of content involved.
DLC is 'premium' paid-for content which often can be simply cosmetic, or game-breakingly powerful items, or just novelty items... Or just new map packs, characters, ect.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 04:38.

22. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 03:01 BobBob

Ruffiana wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 02:33:
IMO, Champions wasn't a good game precisely because they went out of their way to make a game that they thought would cater to their players rather than making a fun game that they would enjoy themselves. I think that's the biggest failing of most MMOs being developed these days.

I remember watching a documentary that interviewed some of the creators of Bugs Bunny. They said they made the cartoon how they felt was funny, no one else. I think you make a good point.

21. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 02:35 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 01:32:

Not true at all. EQII had DLC in the form of mini-dungeons that cost $5-$10 a pop.

I think the point is that all content in an MMO is "downloadable." Using the term DLC in relation to MMOs is pretty stupid and imprecise, honestly. The whole point of the term "downloadable content" was to distinguish between content that came on the disc, and content that did not. In MMO terms, "downloadable content" is vague and meaningless.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

20. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 02:33 Ruffiana

I disagree with you. I think CO addressed most of the principle design issues plaguing CoX.
That was actually one of my biggest complaints. I spent a long time in beta and had some fun but all in all it wasn't all that great. The designers seemed to have gotten together and made a list of everything CoX players wanted or would have liked differently in CoH and made a game of that list. But in doing so they forgot what made CoH really great. CHO has no heart to it, no real reason to have been made accept for that list.

Actually I have no hate for Cryptic. CoX is in my 'top 5 Favorite MMOGs' list. I'll leave the hating for the other, much more cynic members lol. I just dislike how Jack Emmert makes his games. CoH was good from the beginning but Jack always had this idea that wanting the game how 'he' liked was more important than how the players wanted it. It's just bad design in the first place.

Interesting contradiction in statements there. Champions failed because it was a heartless rendition of doing nothing but what the CoX players wanted...but Jack is a failure for not catering to the whims of the players.

Bottom line, players don't know what they want. Half the time, they only think they know what they want when in actuality, they really want something else. Otherwise, any two players will have radically different ideas about what they think they want...often, diamaterically in opposition to one another. Listening to your players is good, trying to build a game around what your players ask for is a recipe for disaster.

IMO, Champions wasn't a good game precisely because they went out of their way to make a game that they thought would cater to their players rather than making a fun game that they would enjoy themselves. I think that's the biggest failing of most MMOs being developed these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 02:36.

19. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 01:32 Agent.X7

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo