Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Another Alpha Protocol Delay

Alpha Protocol is now expected in summer of this year, as SEGA explains to MTV Multiplayer that they have pushed back Obsidian's espionage-themed action/RPG to "give the consumer a very polished game," and bring "the whole quality level up." Alpha Protocol is a repeat offender when it comes to delays: In January 2009 a Q1 2009 release window was announced, but just a couple of months later this was pushed back to October 2009, which was later pinned down to precisely October 6. Precision notwithstanding, in late September retail listings surfaced showing a June 2010 release date for the game, which was later confirmed by SEGA, who said the game was expected in spring of this year. So after all that, Alpha Protocol is expected this summer. For now at least.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 8, 2010, 10:34 nin

Acleacius, No matter how many times you say "yes they do" It wont make you right. SEGA is not known for rushing things out and if you think that you are a MORON, which i have already comcluded by your posts anyway.

So go ahead and post "yes they do" one more time.

Schmuck.

Well fuckity fuck fuck fuck Hellbinder. You certainly didn't take the high road there, did ya?

edit: You better go give yourself 100 lashes right now. Repent, fucker - REPENT!

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 10:36.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 8, 2010, 10:27 Verno

That's probably because Jerykk lacks a morality system of his own. He doesn't understand morality within a role-playing context. To him everything is black and white. The point of choice in an RPG is to make choices consistent with your character. If you want your character to be a mustache twirling bad guy then by all means, always pick the bottom answer.

Just don't pretend the game is limiting you in some way because you don't understand how to apply morality to a character. Mass Effect 2 has plenty of faults but lack of choice isn't one of them.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

25. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 8, 2010, 04:23 Prez

Truth. ME's moral choices are an utter joke. If you want Paragon points, you choose the option in the upper left-hand corner. If you want Renegade points, you choose the option in the lower left-hand corner. Whether you get Renegade or Paragon points is just about the only consequence of these choices.

Here's where I scratch my head. This is an admittedly shallow RPG (if it can be called an RPG at all, which I'm NOT going to get into, so don't bother... ), however, there is a fair bit of "role-playing" to be done in the answers. I always wonder why people say things like "if you want paragon points, pick this, etc etc," when I find it supremely more interesting to respond to every situation in the way I personally would, and see which end of the spectrum I end up at. Sort of "role-playing" as myself, if you will. In the first game, my 2 play-throughs earned me a paragon status, but only barely. Which is easily a fair representation of the real me.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 04:23.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

24. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 19:13 Jerykk

There are *no* choices in Mass Effect. You can say exactly the same thing either friendly, neutral or belligerent, or you can get some additional background info.

Truth. ME's moral choices are an utter joke. If you want Paragon points, you choose the option in the upper left-hand corner. If you want Renegade points, you choose the option in the lower left-hand corner. Whether you get Renegade or Paragon points is just about the only consequence of these choices.

How can Obsidian even pretend to be shipping New Vegas a few months after Alpha Protocol is released?

Obsidian, like most developers, has more than one team so they can handle multiple projects at the same time.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 19:14.

23. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 13:48 Yifes

Obsidian's one failing's always been their inability to deliver a finished game. At least in KotOR2's case that wasn't their fault (LucasArts gave them 11 months to make that game). If Sega wants to make sure this game's finished, more power to them.

Wasn't NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer pretty reasonably finished? I bought the two as a bundle off of D2D so I don't know what the game was like at release, but I don't think anything significant was left out that I'd hold it against them. It seems like everyone's still bashing them for KotOR2, and basing all of their prejudices off of that one game, which is pretty fucking annoying.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 13:49.

22. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 13:24 nutshell42

Conversations were like a poor mans Mass Effect (ie: dialog wheel but with less choices)

There are *no* choices in Mass Effect. You can say exactly the same thing either friendly, neutral or belligerent, or you can get some additional background info.

To be fair there are perhaps two dozen instances in ME where your dialog choice makes a difference beyond paragon/renegade points and most of those choices are without consequence.

Alpha Protocol otoh is from the people that brought us Planescape Torment and KotOR2 which had some of the best dialogue ever written for a game.

and enemy AI looked to be about as intelligent as a brick. Wouldn't be suprised if the entire game was restarted, it certainly would explain all the delays.

Enemy AI is a reason for more polish, not for a restart. It just doesn't interact with the rest of the game enough to require one.

Obsidian's one failing's always been their inability to deliver a finished game. At least in KotOR2's case that wasn't their fault (LucasArts gave them 11 months to make that game). If Sega wants to make sure this game's finished, more power to them.

21. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 11:45 Hellbinder

Acleacius, No matter how many times you say "yes they do" It wont make you right. SEGA is not known for rushing things out and if you think that you are a MORON, which i have already comcluded by your posts anyway.

So go ahead and post "yes they do" one more time.

Schmuck.

The Whales name is Bob.

20. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 11:17 Umbragen

How can Obsidian even pretend to be shipping New Vegas a few months after Alpha Protocol is released? Unless they've just dumped the mess off on SEGA, leaving it up them to fix and they've been working on Fallout.

Whatever, this holiday season has left me with at least a 6 month backlog of games to play - I wouldn't be interested in this game till then anyway.

19. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 03:51 RollinThundr

The original footage I had seen of AP a good 5 or more months ago wasn't very impressive looking at all. Conversations were like a poor mans Mass Effect (ie: dialog wheel but with less choices), and enemy AI looked to be about as intelligent as a brick. Wouldn't be suprised if the entire game was restarted, it certainly would explain all the delays.  

18. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 03:31 Prez

Withholding judgment until I see something concrete, but this is disappointing.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

17. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 03:10 Flatline

ExcessDan wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 02:00:
i'm beginning to lose interest

Yeah me too. We need a really nice, crunchy espionage-themed RPG that lands somewhere between something like Splinter Cell and James Bond (seeing that those are two diametrically opposed camps of "spy" genre).

I humbly suggest Spycraft, which is a D20 game, to offer the base mechanics.

16. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 02:27 space captain

Son of a bitch

Go forth, and kill!

15. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 02:00 ExcessDan

i'm beginning to lose interest  
ExcessDan

14. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 01:52 Jerykk

By that logic, 90% of the current-gen games are mods since most use the Unreal engine.  

13. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 01:30 The Half Elf

Is it safe to say that Obsidian is the 'big time mod' developers of gaming?

KOTOR2 used KOTOR 1's engine etc, Fallout Vegas will use the Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine, Alpha Protocol uses Mass Effect/Unreal engine.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 01:15 Creston

Warskull wrote on Feb 6, 2010, 20:52:
Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2010, 20:18:
I'm amazed how patient Sega is with Obsidian. The game must suck all kinds of hard for it to constantly be delayed over and over and over again.

None of this bodes at all well for Fallout Vegas.

Creston

Obsidian's greatest weakness has been that their publishers always force them to release unfinished games. Give them the time to actually finish and polish a game and they could become a real contender for Bioware.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Creston

11. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 01:07 Acleacius

Yes, they do.
No, that's not the question.
Yes.
No they aren't.
No one said they did. Did you dream someone said or thought that?
Who cares about hype.
No it's not.
They are working on the game, instead of satisfying your desire for hype, that's what they are doing.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 7, 2010, 00:00 eRe4s3r

No, Sega doesn't suck at rushing ;p The question is why is a game delayed more than 4 (or is it 5?) times in a row. You know what release dates are, dates set in stone for marketing reasons. You don't just move them about on a whim. Of course, Sega isn't exactly running the hype machine for Alpha Protocol anyway. The question is, why not. Is there really so little to show to bolster hype? It would indicate that the game is a mess then.  

9. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 6, 2010, 23:53 Acleacius

Guys what the hell are you thinking, sega sucks at rushing out games in crappy condition?

It actually sounds like someone grabbed sega by the balls and said, "do you want to make money or what?".

It's hard to believe you guys don't recognize publisher responsibility for the quality of the final product, oh well maybe each his own or something.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. Re: Another Alpha Protocol Delay Feb 6, 2010, 20:52 Warskull

Creston wrote on Feb 6, 2010, 20:18:
I'm amazed how patient Sega is with Obsidian. The game must suck all kinds of hard for it to constantly be delayed over and over and over again.

None of this bodes at all well for Fallout Vegas.

Creston

Obsidian's greatest weakness has been that their publishers always force them to release unfinished games. Give them the time to actually finish and polish a game and they could become a real contender for Bioware.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo