Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

NYTimes.com - Microsoftís Creative Destruction. Thanks Mike Martinez.
AS they marvel at Appleís new iPad tablet computer, the technorati seem to be focusing on where this leaves Amazonís popular e-book business. But the much more important question is why Microsoft, Americaís most famous and prosperous technology company, no longer brings us the future, whether itís tablet computers like the iPad, e-books like Amazonís Kindle, smartphones like the BlackBerry and iPhone, search engines like Google, digital music systems like iPod and iTunes or popular Web services like Facebook and Twitter.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2010, 02:43 Kxmode

Bill Gates invented the Internet.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 22:24 RenownWolf

But the much more important question is why Microsoft, Americaís most famous and prosperous technology company, no longer brings us the future, whether itís tablet computers like the iPad, e-books like Amazonís Kindle, smartphones like the BlackBerry and iPhone, search engines like Google, digital music systems like iPod and iTunes or popular Web services like Facebook and Twitter.

Lol this guy is an idiot. My previous phone ran Windows Mobile, it beats the crap out of what I've used of the iphone and the nokia os I have on my new phone. Plenty of tablet pcs coming with windows on them, I believe Bing is their search engine, MSN Messenger and it's tools are fairly popular (they aren't facebook, but they work plenty fine), and the latest version of their mp3 player is actually quite nice.

And dare I say it, Xbox Live has changed the multiplayer console game completely. I don't personally want to pay for it, but I agree it's a well designed system.

Bahh iPad.... the iWasteoftime.

http://www.renownwolf.com

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 20:07 Creston

1) Who actually "marvels" at the iPad? It's a 700 dollar fucking netbook that doesn't have a USB port, can't multitask, and is basically another Apple device that doesn't really do anything well, but costs double the money from other devices that DO do those things well.

2)
But the much more important question is why Microsoft, Americaís most famous and prosperous technology company, no longer brings us the future, whether itís tablet computers like the iPad, e-books like Amazonís Kindle, smartphones like the BlackBerry and iPhone, search engines like Google, digital music systems like iPod and iTunes or popular Web services like Facebook and Twitter.

Because that doesn't make anywhere NEAR the amount of money that a desktop and server OS makes. End of line.

Well done, NYTimes.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 20:09.

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 19:44 ldonyo

Just who are these "technorati" that this idiot thinks are marveling at the Maxipad?  

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 16:08 space captain

just another clueless, out of touch idiot up on a soapbox and ranting about how fucked up things are  
Go forth, and kill!

7. AJAX Feb 5, 2010, 16:01 Shok

In 1999 Microsoft created the html command that would eventually enable AJAX in web browsers...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 16:02.

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 14:24 noman

Wasn't it Microsoft who first talked about "Surface" two-three years ago? It wasn't just the technology (multi-touch screen), but the user-interface that could be designed. They had demo where you just put the cell-phone on the surface, or the camera and the files could be dragged out or copied.

I am also not sure what exactly is there to marvel about the iPad.

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 13:28 Nexus

I sure wish Microsoft could think of stuff like the Natal.  

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 13:21 Will W

People are marveling at the iPad? I mean apart from people who think Apple can do no wrong.  

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 12:12 MattB

Im pretty sure it was apple who stole it from Xerox. Microsoft then ripped off Apple.  

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 11:50 Icewind

I don't get the purpose of this article. Since when was Microsoft the king of great ideas?

they only introduced one thing and one thing only: The Graphical User Interface (GUI) with the launch of Windows.

And they stole *that* from Xerox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

Microsoft has never, at any point in their existence, been the gatekeeper of technology.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 11:51.

1. Re: Op Ed Feb 5, 2010, 10:58 Nucas

bill gates himself always maintained that microsoft are enablers, not first hand producers of hardware. of course, that was back before the x-box.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo