Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 17:26 PHJF

I'm no Star Trek scientist, but The Enterprise obtains forward motion with impulse and warp drives. These drives are NOT situated to deliver movement in ANY direction but FORWARD. Star ships are equipped with small RCS maneuvering thrusters around their hulls to provide free form propulsion. This is how they dock and make precise movements in space.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 14:52 JoeNapalm

Yeah, I'm playing it (*ducks for cover from the hail of rotten vegetables*).

I mostly don't notice it - you can go almost vertical, you just can't roll over the top.

It is a little annoying, but it does maintain the atmosphere of the game a bit more - you see the Enterprise making big banking turns, not barrel rolls.

Just because you didn't see it happen, doesn't mean it didn't.

True, but they've got a ton of material (how many movies and TV show episodes) establishing how spacecraft maneuver in this setting. I think it's reasonable that the game mimics this. You don't roll over the top, but you can do a steep bank that is nearly the same thing while maintaining the look and feel of the ships in the shows and movies.

While I have occasionally (maybe two or three times) found it annoying, it I can understand why they did it, and even think it was probably the right call.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

4. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:52 Killswitch

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 13:28:
I think you just explained why it is that way.

It would by nice to have the extra axis of movment, but when in Star Trek have you ever seen two ships out of orientation with one another?

Yeah, I've read the STO forums and their reasoning behind it. I'm certain their ships could and did move freely in 3D space. Just because you didn't see it happen, doesn't mean it didn't. It's ridiculous to limit my movement because of what looked better to an audience or whatever the reasoning behind the cinematography was. I don't know if you've played it, but seemed like a lot of people argued against free movement because it would "ruin" the experience for them. It was the limited movement that ruined it for me.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 13:53.

3. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:36  Blue 

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 13:28:
(as they do when you see them in the show)

It would by nice to have the extra axis of movment, but when in Star Trek have you ever seen two ships out of orientation with one another?

Indeed. There's a scene in Wrath of Khan where they make a big deal out noticing the 2D thinking of Khan where Spock says: "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking." They proceed to defeat him making use of the Y axis, which I found to be a ridiculous example of the two-dimensional thinking of the writers.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:28 JoeNapalm

(as they do when you see them in the show)

The Defiant maybe, but that's it.

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatraite

1. Re: Star Trek Online Feb 5, 2010, 13:03 Killswitch

I played STO beta and it should be noted that you can't move your ship around in space like you can in a game like Descent. You're pitch, yaw, and roll are all very limited so your ship always appears to others as "right side up" (as they do when you see them in the show). Pitch is limited to something like 45 degrees "from level". So if there were enemies directly above or below you, you can't just simply turn yourself 90 degrees and go straight towards them. It's extremely frustrating.  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo