Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

System Shock Modification

The System Shock Modification Archive offers a custom controls modification for System Shock, the action/RPG developed by Looking Glass Studios. The mod imbues the old school game with some modern features, including configurable keys, mouse look support, and multiple resolutions. Thanks Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 8, 2010, 03:44 Shadowcat

The original System Shock wasn't done by LGS. I think some of people who made SS2 did work on the original but the original was all EA.
Jesus, where to start with this?

1) True, Looking Glass Studios didn't make System Shock. They were called Looking Glass Technologies at the time.

2) True, some of the people who made SS2 worked on the original. SS2 was made by Irrational Games (which was more or less an offshoot of Looking Glass, and who shared offices with them) in conjunction with Looking Glass themselves. Of course there were developers in common!

3) Electronic Arts had absolutely nothing to do with System Shock. It was developed by Looking Glass, and published by Origin.

I'll generously assume you're just a troll (in which case call me an idiot for actually responding).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 7, 2010, 18:04 Ant

Is there a full video walkthrough of this game?  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 7, 2010, 17:57 Holywhippet

The original System Shock wasn't done by LGS. I think some of people who made SS2 did work on the original but the original was all EA.  

21. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 6, 2010, 03:23 Shadowcat

Diabolus in Musica wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:20:
Parias wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:10:
Wow, this is pretty cool. I wish people would do things like this more often.
More often? Stuff like this is done all the time. See Dark Places, Doomsday, JDoom, Quake II .NET, etc.
Those would all be games for which the source code was released.

Icewind wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 21:39:
...and Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Vampire TM:B just to name a few more.
Except for Duke 3D, I don't think there's source code available for these ones, but I'm also not sure what kind of mods have been made. (I gather that the community-made V:TM:B patches are pretty amazing, mind you.)

Even so, what has been done here is on a whole different level to your typical game mod. Radically changing the control scheme of a game by hacking the binary is incredibly impressive work.

"Stuff like this" is almost never done.

I also can't think of a better game for it to have happened to!

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 2010, 03:23.

20. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 14:55 Drayth

I played System Shock 1 first and for me one of the awesome SS2 moments was finding out in what WAY the two games connected. It is not obvious at all how SS2 can in any way connect with the original game, and once you find out it's a big 'Woha'.

19. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 10:17 Ant

Mead wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 10:15:
Overon wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 10:05:
Thief.
Yeah, that was a great title too. Too bad they don't make em like that any more.
Ha, I thought that was about Surf, not the game. Sheesh, I am SO not awake.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

18. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 10:15 Mead

Overon wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 10:05:
Thief.
Yeah, that was a great title too. Too bad they don't make em like that any more.

17. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 10:05 Overon

Thief.  

16. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 10:04 Ant

Surf wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 02:22:
SS2 is my fav game. I ripped it off box and all, shoved it down my pants at Egghead software and walked out, hahaaa, bastard! I didn't have the $40 at the time. Or maybe that was SS1, can't remember.
[contacts BSA] J/K.

15. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 06:08 Killswitch

Surf wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 02:22:
I ripped it off box and all, shoved it down my pants at Egghead software and walked out, hahaaa, bastard!

Life before the internet. Now there's a story you can tell your grandkids. Rotfl

14. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 03:43 Ant

Nameless wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 23:13:
I missed SS1 the first time around. Even had a VFX1 helmet back in the day and had the necessary files for playing SS1 in full VR, but just never got around to it. Too hooked on Quake and Duke Nukem at the time.

Did play SS2 though, and that wound up being my #2 game of all time, second only to Half-Life. I should dust off the cobwebs and give this a try.
I couldn't get into SS1 at all even though I love SS2.

13. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 02:22 Surf

SS2 is my fav game. I ripped it off box and all, shoved it down my pants at Egghead software and walked out, hahaaa, bastard! I didn't have the $40 at the time. Or maybe that was SS1, can't remember.

Anywhoo, would be great to get this working under Windows 7. I played coop with my then gf and she had NEVER played any video game before. She was riveted by the game and said "Shit are all video games this intense, adult and serious?"

I said hell no, you are really playing a coop work of art light years ahead of it's time. I then turned her onto Diablo coop and D2 as well. Showed her Starflight but she was unimpressed, damn her!

12. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 01:37 Riker

System Shock 2 is my #2 favorite game ever (only Deus Ex pushed it down from #1). I, too, didn't try System Shock until playing SS2. I've tried playing SS1 after the fact, but have always had a hard time getting past the keyboard controls. It is cool beyond words that someone has done something like this so long after the game's release. It's a shame only that it took so long.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 01:46.

11. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 5, 2010, 00:09 Bumpy

Just tried this. It works pretty darn well! As someone on their forum already said, needs a way to reverse Y mouse axis and have lean spring back.  

10. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 23:40 Acleacius

Oh, I thought it was almost positive ea held all the rights atm, even thought KLevine said as much. It would have been the one bright spot in the ea takeover of 2k and iirc, Levine even said he had the story ready.

You guys maybe right, though why would ea make Deep Space if they had SS rights and besides the downside is obviously ea would screw it up.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

9. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 23:13 Nameless Again

I missed SS1 the first time around. Even had a VFX1 helmet back in the day and had the necessary files for playing SS1 in full VR, but just never got around to it. Too hooked on Quake and Duke Nukem at the time.

Did play SS2 though, and that wound up being my #2 game of all time, second only to Half-Life. I should dust off the cobwebs and give this a try.

Now if only Atari would release the source code for Blood so we can get a win32/x64 port of that classic...

8. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:42 eRe4s3r

Speaking of all that, i wish someone would modernize Strike Commander which is still the best flightsim of yonder. Heck i still own the original manual (Sudden Death - July 2011, Edition 12, Nr9)

Which also reminds me that all the modern games manuals all fucking suck, and thats putting it kindly

7. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:26 Doc4

Ken Levine posted years back that it wasn't just EA who had the rights, but so many different entities had a piece. Some odd and sloppy legal work back in the day left things a mess.

Rumors are that Irrational's next secret project might be SS3. Just rumors, but pretty exciting if true. Perhaps with all the mergers, all the different companies came under one roof who had the rights. Or some how they just pulled it all together. Or Irrational's big secret next project is some lame Freedom Force sequel.

And for those of you looking for SS2 mods, they are out there as well. Yours truly created the first custom mission ever for the game with complete audio logs, etc, called Arboretum. And there are even bigger and better missions out there as well as the high-res texture mod and the nicer AI models mod. Now if only they could get it to work smoothly with XP, Vista, and 7.

Long live System Shock!

Tom / Doc4
Nerdy BoardGaming Site: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/203774624357
http://twitter.com/Gliber

//3 minutes behind Creston!

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 22:28.

6. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:23 Creston

The rights are actually held by multiple entities, which is the whole problem with getting a System Shock 3.

System Shock 2 was great, but System Shock 1 was absolutely fantastic. An old friend of mine once described it as "Die Hard on a space station" which is absolutely spot on. It was amazing.

I remember when I first played it, thinking "Shit, games are going to be SO FUCKING AWESOME the next ten years!"

And then in the next ten years, we only got about 2 games that even came close to being as awesome as system shock: System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

Creston

5. Re: System Shock Modification Feb 4, 2010, 22:00 Overon

I was late on the system shock train. I played system shock 2 initially and then I stopped because the respawning enemies were way too frequent and hurt my enjoyment of the game. Then a patch came out that virtually eliminated the respawning and I played system shock 2 again and finished it. I loved the ending which leaves System Shock 3 just asking to be made. I never played System Shock 1.

EA supposedly has the rights to the System Shock franchise. IF they ever create a system shock 3 it will be a console centered game I speculate. System Shock and System Shock 2 were 100% PC centered game and a breath of fresh air when they were released. There was nothing like them.

Shodan continues to be the best female antagonist in any game ever made:
"Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?"

When I hear audio of the above quote, it sends a chill up my spine. Few games have had such physical reaction as System Shock and System Shock 2.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo