Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

AvP Demo Released Early

Steam now offers the Aliens vs. Predator multiplayer demo, a day earlier than announced, perhaps because of some Steam downtime scheduled for tomorrow. On a related note, here's a new "Infestation Mode" Trailer from the game that shows off the multiplayer mode that results when you leave food laying around. Here's the embedded clip.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

68. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 10, 2010, 14:12 Ant

Tumbler wrote on Feb 10, 2010, 14:00:
Finally got to try this game a few days ago, tried the 360 demo, and I forced myself to finish the one round before quitting the game forever.

I was the marine and it sucked. You get one weapon. A rifle. No alternate firing options, no secondary weapon, no grenades, no flares. You can pick up other weapons but in this darkened environment all I wanted was a goddawn torch. Or a flamethrower.

The lighting in the game was terrible. The marine is supposed to have a flashlight but when you turn it on it doesn't create anything like you'd expect. A flare you can toss into the open would be a lot more useful than this stupid flashlight.

I think the point that really slammed the door on this game was when I'd get killed via a special move kill/death move whatever, you'd expect you turn towards them so you can see something...but you look off to the side and then you look down or some stupid shit... You're already holding me hostage while this happens the least you can do is let me see the enemy and what he's doing. With how much patience it took to "play" the game that was too much. Match ended, quit, goodbye.

It takes real talent to turn someone completely off your game just by playing one round of the MP game. I'm shocked the devs are so fucking bad at their job.
Agreed. Bad multiplayer demo hence deathmatch was a bad idea. Can we have a playable single player demo?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 10, 2010, 14:00 Tumbler

Finally got to try this game a few days ago, tried the 360 demo, and I forced myself to finish the one round before quitting the game forever.

I was the marine and it sucked. You get one weapon. A rifle. No alternate firing options, no secondary weapon, no grenades, no flares. You can pick up other weapons but in this darkened environment all I wanted was a goddawn torch. Or a flamethrower.

The lighting in the game was terrible. The marine is supposed to have a flashlight but when you turn it on it doesn't create anything like you'd expect. A flare you can toss into the open would be a lot more useful than this stupid flashlight.

I think the point that really slammed the door on this game was when I'd get killed via a special move kill/death move whatever, you'd expect you turn towards them so you can see something...but you look off to the side and then you look down or some stupid shit... You're already holding me hostage while this happens the least you can do is let me see the enemy and what he's doing. With how much patience it took to "play" the game that was too much. Match ended, quit, goodbye.

It takes real talent to turn someone completely off your game just by playing one round of the MP game. I'm shocked the devs are so fucking bad at their job.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

66. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 9, 2010, 21:03 Ant

TheDrifter73 wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 21:01:
Test.
Passed!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

65. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 9, 2010, 21:01 .Drifter

Test.  

64. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 8, 2010, 22:36 Yosemite Sam

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 02:36:
...and it fucking blew up windows, BSD, reboot, minidump, PC made some horrid noises, the whole shabang, settings are all fucked up now...

A demo made your PC make weird noises?

Yup, I was seriously expecting my PC to hang at the bios when it rebooted. It made a real nasty electrical noise when I quit the game, then the DVD drive went spaz for a sec, a BSOD and power got cut... only thing I can think of is it upgraded my Visual C++ and Direct X but didnt reboot or even give me a chance to before launching the game... beats me, I did a system restore to get rid of any changes made by AVP and the PC has been running without problems since.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

63. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 8, 2010, 02:36 Prez

...and it fucking blew up windows, BSD, reboot, minidump, PC made some horrid noises, the whole shabang, settings are all fucked up now...

A demo made your PC make weird noises?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 6, 2010, 01:29 Wildone

Wheres the option to free run?  

61. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 13:56 Yosemite Sam

I pity you

Good for you, I pity the fools who consider buggy games acceptable.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

60. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 10:28 Yakumo

Wildone wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 12:08:
It felt a bit mushy to me as well no matter what species.
Unless Im not doing it right, they kinda fucked up the Aliens wall walking..it AVP2 it was seemless just holding down shift u could crawl from floor to wall. Here you have to press the 'transition' button..huh..it totally breaks up the mechanic and flow while you fumble to press the middle mouse button, which sometimes take 2 or 3 presses to get it to work right..grrrr

There is an option to free-run.

<Mouse motion is really laggy and pretty awful (try looking up raw mouse input rebellion!)
FOV isn't great.
Huge lack of options sucks.
Can't seem to change character once a game has started.

could have been good, if just a few minor things had had some time put into them instead of leaving it all console-y.

I'm going back to quakelive, I suggest rebellion try it out too.

59. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 08:58 Eldaron Imotholin

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 01:42:
Well just tried the demo, saw it was multiplayer only quit... and it fucking blew up windows, BSD, reboot, minidump, PC made some horrid noises, the whole shabang, settings are all fucked up now... well that was fun, PC has been perfectly stable without any issues whatsoever since my last build. ALways nice to get a reminder why I gave up on PC games in the first place (well besides what I already own) guess its back to the console.

EDIT I guess I should be thankful I almost was ready to put some cash down, whew dodged a bullet... better put a sticky on my monitor "NO MORE PC GAMES!" just incase I forget again. Steams fualt damn Xmas sale got me all fired up again.

I pity you.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

58. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 01:43 Ant

Wildone wrote on Feb 5, 2010, 00:42:
Steam is down for sched maintenance..isn't DRM great!Cant play the game you (potentially) paid for..yay
That is why I refuse softwares that require Internet connection to phone home.

57. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 01:42 Yosemite Sam

Well just tried the demo, saw it was multiplayer only quit... and it fucking blew up windows, BSD, reboot, minidump, PC made some horrid noises, the whole shabang, settings are all fucked up now... well that was fun, PC has been perfectly stable without any issues whatsoever since my last build. ALways nice to get a reminder why I gave up on PC games in the first place (well besides what I already own) guess its back to the console.

EDIT I guess I should be thankful I almost was ready to put some cash down, whew dodged a bullet... better put a sticky on my monitor "NO MORE PC GAMES!" just incase I forget again. Steams fualt damn Xmas sale got me all fired up again.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 01:51.

56. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 5, 2010, 00:42 Wildone

Steam is down for sched maintenance..isn't DRM great!Cant play the game you (potentially) paid for..yay  

55. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 4, 2010, 22:24 Xero

Um, I can't even get anywhere. It says Disconnected from Steam every time I click Play. Wtf gives? First this morning when I first downloaded it, I clicked Quick Play or Find, and it says searching forever. Never found one. Now that I'm home from work I can't even get it to search. Just says, Disconnected every single time. LAME!  

Currently playing: Skyrim

54. Re: well.... Feb 4, 2010, 21:32 Eldaron Imotholin

Overon wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 20:41:
So if you get the "host has left" message doesn't that mean it's peer to peer? If you get that message, does the game even transition to a new host or does the game end?

I have vsynch off and the mouse controls still feel laggy. My riva tuner based fps display shows good fps so it's not my fps.

The game ends instantly. Launches you back to the menu where you'll have the lovely ability to search for another game for the next 20 minutes.

I don't know about you guys, but when I start up a game (be it multiplayer or singleplayer) I'd like to be PLAYING it withing 2 minutes. Not 20.

Edit: I just can't fucking fathom how they'd release a demo BASED on multiplayer ONLY with such a retarded system! You can't even scroll through a list of available games running. You just wait until the game itself manages to latch itself onto one. It's weird. I don't get it. It's retarded. I'm tired..

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 21:33.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

53. Re: well.... Feb 4, 2010, 20:41 Overon

So if you get the "host has left" message doesn't that mean it's peer to peer? If you get that message, does the game even transition to a new host or does the game end?

I have vsynch off and the mouse controls still feel laggy. My riva tuner based fps display shows good fps so it's not my fps.

52. Re: well.... Feb 4, 2010, 19:55 Bopper

"
"Bitching about connection problems on a pre-release demo is a bit pointless"

I disagree, cause if ya can`t connect, ya can`t try the demo.... right? Anyways, I myself have gotten to play just once so far since d/ling last night. Played as Marine, and I found I really like what I am experiencing with just the 1 play.

Not bad for a pretty well feature barren demo. Can`t wait for the final release. "

Well you have a point there

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 19:56.

- Boppa

Playing: Torchlight 2, Civ V, Pikmin 3

Waiting for: Beyond:Two Souls, Watchdogs, EQNext, a GOOD Alien(s) game/movie

51. Re: well.... Feb 4, 2010, 19:04 Animals for Crackers

I'd like to be able to play this. The best thing I can say about this "demo" since I can't actually get into or even host my own empty game to test things out is....cool facehugger bro, I guess?

Mouse cursor response/speed seems real slow as others have noted, even with vsync off.

I'm getting the wrong vibe so far from Rebellion's latest. Have they acknowledged the problems with the PC demo or plan to fix it if they have?

50. well.... Feb 4, 2010, 17:54 Shataan

"Bitching about connection problems on a pre-release demo is a bit pointless"

I disagree, cause if ya can`t connect, ya can`t try the demo.... right? Anyways, I myself have gotten to play just once so far since d/ling last night. Played as Marine, and I found I really like what I am experiencing with just the 1 play.

Not bad for a pretty well feature barren demo. Can`t wait for the final release.

49. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 4, 2010, 16:54 sir

Wildone wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 16:42:
I kept attacking Aliens then suddenly they'd be behind me and Im screwed, wonder how they do that.
They do have too much HP too I was shooting one while he did his kill move on someone, he had no problem finishing them off then killing me whilst Im shootin then both. Maybe invulnerable doing finishing moves?

I think you've just been unlucky. Several times I've killed either an Alien or a Predator while they were performing a finishing move ( on a couple of occasions I've even managed to steal both kills).

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo