Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity

A story on DailyTech discusses some bugs they've encountered in the live version of Star Trek Online that remain since beta testing of the Trekkie MMORPG. They also describe issues relating to capacity, saying: "Unfortunately, the interest in Star Trek Online seems to have caught Cryptic off-guard, despite the fan base of several hundred million people. The company announced that it was ordering new servers during Open Beta, but dropped connections are still quite common. There are often problems logging in, retrieving characters, and loading maps. STO servers have been down for 'emergency maintenance' at least a dozen times during the last week as more gamers have started playing." This inspired Cryptic to explain what they are doing to address these issues:

We just wanted to update you on our in-game server capacity status. Throughout Head Start we noticed the overwhelming response to the game and we are working on changes to further increase the number of people who can play Star Trek Online at any given time. Our current plan is to have these changes in place sometime this coming weekend. We will, of course, keep you updated on progress as it happens.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 17:20 Talisorn

JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 10:32:
Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

^ This.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 10:32 JoeNapalm

Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

35. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 10:19 DanL

Rigs wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:30:
*sigh* The only difference between the release of Everquest and the release of STO is the capacity of patience has dropped to almost zero...
Exactly right. Players these days are much more demanding and much less forgiving.

34. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 09:37 NKD

zerobytes wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 09:15:
50,000 new players a minute means the entire world population would be subscribed to World of Warcraft in 3 short months.

Yeah... somehow I suspect WoW's net subscriber gain isn't quite that high

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

33. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 09:15 Killswitch

Prez wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 04:29:
WoW still has about 50,000 new players signing up every minute.

50,000 new players a minute means the entire world population would be subscribed to World of Warcraft in 3 short months.

32. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 04:29 Prez

WW2 Online, Anarchy Online, SW Galaxies, and yes, WoW were the MMO's I remember hearing the most complaining about from people saying the game was either launched in an unplayable state, or, as in WoW's case, suffering from multiple hour-long queue's just to login. Most likely the reason is that they all were hotly anticipated and were full of potential, which amplified the disappointment and frustration.

They all went on to achieve some level of success in their own right regardless. WoW still has about 50,000 new players signing up every minute.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 04:49.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 03:23 NKD

One million users = EPIC FAIL CRYPTIC!  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

30. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 22:47 Talisorn

Cutter wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 21:34:
Unfortunately, the interest in Star Trek Online seems to have caught Cryptic off-guard, despite the fan base of several hundred million people.

STO has a fanbase of several hundred million people does it? Uh huh. In Cryptic's dreams.
I think they might be referring to Star Trek fans. Not STO fans.

/endsarcasm

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 22:48.

29. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 21:34 Cutter

Unfortunately, the interest in Star Trek Online seems to have caught Cryptic off-guard, despite the fan base of several hundred million people.

STO has a fanbase of several hundred million people does it? Uh huh. In Cryptic's dreams.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

28. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 20:40 Mead

JohnnyRotten wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 20:37:
sir wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 16:34:
Furious, when the login server fell.

Temba, his subscription closed.

Ha!
lulz, brilliant

27. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 20:37 JohnnyRotten

sir wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 16:34:
Furious, when the login server fell.

Temba, his subscription closed.

Ha!

26. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:58 Talisorn

space captain wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 19:10:
...He... He ...put ...creatures in our bodies to control our minds, ...made us say lies, ...do things. ...But we beat him. ...He thought he controlled us, but he did not. The Captain was strong.
I've always wondered what becomes of my characters when I log off. Now I know ...

... disturbing.

Mead wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 19:51:
Everyone should have an Overon filter. It's so nice to be told what I meant to post.
Nah. Nobody wants Overon Filters. Just like that Multi-phasic Cynicism Inducer, you can't get rid of it on the exchange. Oh well ... into the replicator they go to turn them into energy credits.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 20:05.

25. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:51 Mead

Oh, I didn't realise my post was speaking only about competition between MMOs, and actually had nothing at all to do with cautioning against using an individual game's launch to predict its longevity in the absence of other factors.

Everyone should have an Overon filter. It's so nice to be told what I meant to post.

Hey, at least you didn't accuse me of being a Cryptic shill. Was half expecting that here.

24. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:46 The Half Elf

But then again look at Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies when they launched.
Go make a character, choose what class and your starting position, login and kill stuff, and in SWG's case go make a player city. There were no quests, or fat loot (unless you consider fine steel/full leather/full set of bronze armor fat look when EQ launched).

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

23. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:42 Overon

Mead wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 19:28:
Overon wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:22:
Mead wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:07:
EQ is still paying for itself after all these years, and it wasn't even playable for three weeks.
Nice false analogy there. WOW and the other current popular MMO's weren't competing with everquest three weeks into its launch back on March 1999 like they are with star trek online.
From the singular perspective that I explicitly mentioned (the post is still there if you care to actually read all of it someday), it is a perfectly valid analogy. Rocky launches don't have much to do with game quality in the long run, nor are they reliable indicators of impending total failure.
I read all of your post the first time. It's not a valid analogy because there is competition in the MMO market that did not exist to the extent it does now back in 1999. Your analogy would have been better had you used a more modern MMO that launched amongst stiffer competition.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 19:42.

22. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:28 Mead

Overon wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:22:
Mead wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 18:07:
EQ is still paying for itself after all these years, and it wasn't even playable for three weeks.
Nice false analogy there. WOW and the other current popular MMO's weren't competing with everquest three weeks into its launch back on March 1999 like they are with star trek online.
From the singular perspective that I explicitly mentioned (the post is still there if you care to actually read all of it someday), it is a perfectly valid analogy. Rocky launches don't have much to do with game quality in the long run, nor are they reliable indicators of impending total failure.

21. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 19:10 space captain

...He... He ...put ...creatures in our bodies to control our minds, ...made us say lies, ...do things. ...But we beat him. ...He thought he controlled us, but he did not. The Captain was strong.

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 18:58 Kxmode

Spock: As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.
McCoy: Not anymore; now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!

19. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 18:46 ^Drag0n^

Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity

Maybe they need Mr. Scott workin' on it, laddie.

Sorry. The fruit was just hanging too low to resist

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

18. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 18:43 OneEye

The launch has been very solid. I have seen no problems at all. The game on the other hand is quite underwhelming.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo