Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale

Atari announces that Star Trek Online is now available in North America, and that over a million Star Trek fans have already created accounts relating to the game. A new ground combat trailer from the game shows what happens when the weapons come out and the redshirts start disintegrating. On a related note, Direct2Drive announces that those who purchase the game from them will be entered into a drawing for one of four prizes, including the grand prize of an awesome corgi replica Enterprise valued at around $1200. Finally, MMORPG.com points out that two new races are already being sold in the Cryptic Store, saying: "Federation Klingon and Federation Ferengi can both be had for 240 and 80 Cryptic Points respectively." Here's word on the game: "Taking place in the year 2409, Star Trek Online boasts extraordinary features and lets fans both new and old experience unparalleled adventures. Players have the opportunity to become a high ranking Starfleet officer and participate in missions that take them into the depths of space, across exotic planets and even inside other starships. Star Trek Online offers total customization, from a player's avatar to the ship he captains." Here's the embedded clip.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 20:58 JohnnyRotten

I don't think it's a matter of making the "game that everyone wants", it's making a game that is not a cookie cutter MMO that can be re-skinned in a few days to be Pirates of the Burning Sea. Or a ground combat racing game. Or a super hero game. At least PotBS actually has a crafting system.

This thing is so bland that I had would have a hard time investing time in it if it was free. Meh. Harsh, but true (for me). Two dimensional combat in space/sea with endless close in turning battles is just boring after a while. Half thought out land combat doesn't help either. I'm actually talking about both STO and PotBS here. It's just not very interesting.

And I just get the feeling with Cryptic that they always have a hand in my pocket trying to pry open my wallet. Give the least experience possible for the initial buy in, then nickle and dime you to death. Playable races? Character slots? Really? No seriously, really?

The one consistent trend in MMO's seems to be if it has good hype, it will have a lot of initial subscribers, but if doesn't have depth, then people are going to bail. Maybe I can coin a phrase - something like the "Titanic Syndrome." Everyone wants to be on the boat when it sail's, but it gets real ugly when it hits the iceberg.

To bad the mmogchart guy still doesn't update his charts. I'm betting this thing will follow the usual trend of early subscriber spike followed by a quick decline.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a star trek game (actually I do - I want f'ing trekmuse with graphics*), but this ain't it. Pass.

* Please, please, please

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 11:56 JoeNapalm

I am trying this out entirely as an impulsive thing, after having decided to pass. Ran into one of my old Guild mates from the Good Old Days, who's opinion I trust, and they gave me a little nudge...(which is like setting a bottle of 25 year old scotch in front of an alcoholic, really)...and the result was fairly predictable.

While I will not defend Cryptic's approach to charging for stuff that should be in the game (extra races cross the line - uniforms and even novelty ships, fine, but playable races? Gah. Put it in the game), I think people are being a little harsh on the game itself.

Marketing aside, it's far from perfect, and of course it's not the Holodeckesque fantasy that all Trekkies seem to think it should be, based on diplomacy and dramatic character arcs. Then again - how much diplomacy has been seen in most MMOs? MMOGs have some fairly stringent limitations imposed by their very nature...while I'd love to see something like AOC's Tortage throughout this entire game, I don't think it's realistic to think They'd spend that kind of money (even if They had it) on a game that's inherently risky by deviating from the WoW-clone mold.

In defense of the game, space combat is fun and has more depth than is immediately apparent. Ground combat is more simplistic, but not significantly moreso than your average MMO. They throw enough bad guys at you, most of the time, to keep you busy, and even sometimes requiring you to think tactically...it's not awe inspiring, but it's not entirely awful, either.

Where Cryptic/Atari are kinda shooting themselves in the foot is touting features that are really nothing more than bullet-points, which only highlights where they had to cut down some of the early ambitions of the design. For instance, I CAN walk around on the Bridge of my ship - but I can't DO anything there. Probably not something they should highlight as a feature.

It's not the MMOG successor to Bridge Commander, but anyone who expected that is maybe a bit unrealistic. To make the game that everyone really wants, they'd need to be Blizzard, and they're not. They'd have to want to cater to a very narrow demographic, which they don't.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't want to like this game, and it doesn't live up to the Geek daydream of what it should be, but what is there is more fun than it really should be, so it sort of evens out. I'll probably play it long enough to get my money's worth out of it.

(That is, until Cryptic starts charging me to make new characters, or interest at the in-game bank, or something...)

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

25. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 08:20 kanniballl

TheDrifter73 wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 00:28:
Star Trek's vision of the future isn't one full of ion cannons going off everywhere, people having all-out ground war and constant combat.

While this might be true, I have seen every episode of the original series, possibly all of TNG also, and you have to admit that there were a lot of fights in them. From TOS phaser battles, fist fights, and space ship battles to TNG's several space fights.
Heck, the last 2 or 3 seasons of DS9 seemed like nothing much more than constant fighting. At least what I watched of them.
Not defending the game, just saying that people seem to look back on ST with rose tinted lenses.

I agree, all of the Treks were pretty fight heavy. All of the series had varying percentages attributed to political and moral dilemmas, with the older Treks having more diplomacy than fighting. That's not to say they were always "running and gunning" like a Star Wars scene, but there was fighting.

I think the Original series had the least space battles, mostly because of the cost and crude effects, but as you mention that had a lot of hand-to-hand combat and phaser shoot-outs, usually planet-side involving some native inhabitants or Energy/Cloud monsters. However there were still a fair number of political/moral issues that would be solved by some simple statement by Kirk and the gang about how to behave.

The Next Generation had the 2nd highest percentage of episodes focused on political/moral isses, and probably the 2nd lower number of fight-based episodes. In fact, perhaps the fewest Space fight scenes period. This made sense as the Enterprise D was the flagship of the Federation and was sent to the big political meetings.

Deep Space 9 was very combat-heavy, especially once they got the starship Defiant to combat the Dominion threat. But even before then, there was a fair number of skirmishes. The show was focused on a space station near a recently war-ravaged planet and near an opening to a dangerous quadrant of space. Threats included the planets recent occupiers, beings from the other quadrant, and the occasional mercenary-of-the-week.

Voyager was fairly fight-heavy, Captain Janeway would try for the peaceful solution but without the weight of the Federation behind them it often degenerated into a shoot-out. Borg battles were common as they were near Borg-occupied space. It was about a ship flung to the far reaches of space into a Quadrant that had never heard of the Federation and lacked any large/expansive organizations.

Enterprise was alright, I think it was better than some of the fans give it credit for. My biggest gripe was the show began focused around a time travelling/communicating villain trying to putz with the timeline. The moral issues were decent, as unlike the other shows this was their first time dealing with certain things and didn't have rules/history to guide them like the Prime Directive. Do I save billions of people or allow a new (oppressed) civilization to grow in their ashes? However the show was also quite fight-heavy. It was about the beginning of Starfleet and the road to making the Federation. Things were quite chaotic out there.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 09:08.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 07:26 Ozmodan

This is a horrible game, so many deluded people. Cryptic is getting a reputation as bad as the parent, Atari.  

23. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 01:41 Nameless Again

How many credits do I have to pay just to make the game go away?  

22. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 00:30 Flatline

Linksil wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 17:36:
Wow not seeing the UI and only taking 5 second bursts of combat is what it takes for ground combat to look fun. That's sad, there's just way too much fighting in STO.

Combat doesn't look that interesting to me. It looks static and boring. It kind of reminded me of the Civil War, if everyone had lasers. Pew Pew Pew!

What's starship combat like by the way? Is it arcade-ish? Is it inspired by starfleet battles (aka starfleet command)? Is it WoW timers in space?

I wish pirates of the burning sea turned out better. I've been wanting a nice, deep age of sail naval combat sim game to play, and the ship-based combat was the closest I got to an MMO combat system that was really engaging. I actually didn't engage in many quests, I simply fought in squadrons or fleets. Least-grinding combat I ever played.

Everything off your ship sucked ass though.

21. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 00:28 .Drifter

Star Trek's vision of the future isn't one full of ion cannons going off everywhere, people having all-out ground war and constant combat.

While this might be true, I have seen every episode of the original series, possibly all of TNG also, and you have to admit that there were a lot of fights in them. From TOS phaser battles, fist fights, and space ship battles to TNG's several space fights.
Heck, the last 2 or 3 seasons of DS9 seemed like nothing much more than constant fighting. At least what I watched of them.
Not defending the game, just saying that people seem to look back on ST with rose tinted lenses.

20. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 23:37 Acleacius

I think they had to rush it out, when Bioware releases KotOR they are going to get a huge draw, may even put a dint in WoW.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

19. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 22:45 Linksil

Veterator: Instancing works well in the game. I hate instancing in general, but I think they did it okay from what I saw in beta. Small missions were small instance, big ones had over 80 people in them. Bases had enough to notice the population, but not crowd the NPCS. I agree that MMO's really shouldn't be instanced, but I see the need for it as if you had everyone in one server (there's no server list) You wouldn't be able to move let alone load everything.

I'm so glad I didn't decide to play this in retail though. Selling things that should be included in launch.

Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

18. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 21:59 Veterator

I imagine this is why they hired on Bill Roper. He attempted to monetize something that clearly wasn't an MMO into an MMO pricing structure. And Cryptic is taking games, making them less Massive Multiplayer, and charging for things normally included in an MMOs sub. I mean STO is just FULL of instanced zones, I don't think there is a single part of it where you can go and it isn't an instance. Which means you get to see up to maybe 48 other people on the same server you play on at any given time (in non-combat areas)...and combat areas are usually less than 20. When I think of an MMO, STOs zone structures and instancing of everything is not what comes to mind. I could see instancing of some dungeons/raids like WoW...but I think they are venturing closer to a zone browser with a fancy graphic interface to move around in while you decide which zone to go to next.

17. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 20:29 JohnnyRotten

ViRGE wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 20:16:
How much is a Cryptic point worth, anyhow?

http://www.champions-online.com/cryptic_points

16. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 20:16 ViRGE

How much is a Cryptic point worth, anyhow?  

15. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 20:08 JohnnyRotten

Monetizing starting races. Monetizing the number of number of character slots. Nicely done. Hope it falls flat on its face.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 20:22.

14. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 19:50 timesten

I am usualy in the "just dont buy the dlc if you dont want it" camp, but this seems pretty shady. I suppose its not that different from having a collectors edition and giving those buyers a few better features for paying 69 instead of 49..

maybe the model is outdated, but I was under the impression that the monthly fee was for server maintenance and content upgrades. Is there a need for the monthly price point to go up, but the market wont bear it?.. so they charge the people willing to be charged by giving them content that was already there?

im in need of a new mmo, d&d online has run it's course for me, and all i have to move to is old stuff. pretty sure it wont be this one tho.

13. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 19:10 NKD

Oh boy. Cutter is gonna throw a shit fit over this one!  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

12. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 18:30 Jackplug

I had a friend who did the closed beta and he said it was really crap, so that does it for me..  

11. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 18:20 OldScho0l

I refuse to play any games from this turd of a company. They are terribly unethical.  

10. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 17:56 Kxmode

Set your phasers to BSOD! pew pew  

9. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 17:53 BubbleMage

Icewind wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 16:16:
This game never seemed right to me anyway. Star Trek's vision of the future isn't one full of ion cannons going off everywhere, people having all-out ground war and constant combat.

This. But I suppose exploration and discovery doesn't move games off the shelves as much as endless explosions. EVE had potential, but that was ruined by a terminal infestation of sociopaths.

8. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 17:36 Linksil

Wow not seeing the UI and only taking 5 second bursts of combat is what it takes for ground combat to look fun. That's sad, there's just way too much fighting in STO.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo