Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone

A tweet by Battlefield Bad Company 2 lead designer David Goldfarb that's retweeted by the BFBC2 feed says that even if you stand on your head, they are not adding the ability to go prone in the military shooter sequel: "Fyi we will not add prone based on anything. You can stop asking now. :)"

View
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

62. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 4, 2010, 15:40 Elessar

Tumbler wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 12:27:
They need to make crouch a toggle like prone was. That is my main gripe. Having to hold down the shift key or whatever key you use for crouch is annoying as hell. I can live with crouch only just fine...but make it a toggle just like prone was before.
Amazing that game devs still don't consider toggle keys as a must have function for shooters. It should be like step 1f to program these in by this point. Just after 1e. Widescreen Support

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 4, 2010, 08:45 Verno

Well it's going to be hard for them to patch that out without affecting other aspects of gameplay so I have confidence in their ability to make ship date and ignore this  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

60. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 3, 2010, 17:16 ^Drag0n^

That would blow. Honestly, if they aren't going to succumb to pressure to put something in, they should do likewise when it comes to taking something out.

Meh.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

59. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 3, 2010, 14:12 Verno

I don't know, there was some rumbling about it being patched out on the forums because people are doing it to structures and killing 6 guys at once. Never underestimate the whiners ability to get changes made.  

58. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 3, 2010, 13:54 ^Drag0n^

You mean the C4 on a moving vehicle thing? Killing that would be retarded. It's been in BF forever.

Should kick ass on 4x4s.

^D^

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 14:00.

57. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 3, 2010, 11:27 Verno

Yeah I love doing the Jeep Jihad too, it's unfortunate they're gonna patch it out  

56. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 2, 2010, 23:54 xXBatmanXx

The first thing I do if I'm playing defense is hop in a mounted gun and knock down all the trees and fences where the advancing army can hide as long as they don't benefit my team.

Same here....makes for a hell of a time for the infantry.

And on attack - I am the ass that loads up 6 c4 and drives a 4wheeler into your shit!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

55. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 2, 2010, 21:32 xXBatmanXx

Well, I see they will most likely nerf the 1911 and the C4.
Both are so over powered that many just run around with the 1911 as primary weapon, and the c4 instantly blows up a point with 6 of them.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

54. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 2, 2010, 08:41 Verno

FOr those upset about toggle crouch, there are fixes for that, just have to look around....

The fix he mentions involves using an external program and a script, the details are here for anyone interested. It's quite rough around the edges though and built in support would be far better.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 08:48.

53. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 2, 2010, 02:03 ^Drag0n^

Prez--

I hear what you're saying, but based on how much cover there is in this game, I'm almost willing to bet a weeks pay that they tried prone, and found that it totally screwed up the dynamic of the game.

As someone pointed out earlier, it's not always best to mimic reality to make a game that's fun and balanced. With all that cover out there it would make sniping almost godlike. In previous BF games, there were no "destroyable" environments, and almost no foliage and ground cover, so Prone players still stuck out to players with as little as an ACOG. not so much the case here.

While it's just my opinion, I think that it would have slowed the game play to a crawl, and people would be up-in-arms over a completely different issue--not being able to move without getting shot.

^D^

52. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 2, 2010, 00:33 Prez

For years, gamers have been wondering why their quadruple-barreled nuclear rocket launcher can blow 5000-ton spaceships out of the sky but can't penetrate a wooden door. Or why they can climb huge buildings and jump from rooftop to rooftop but can't get over a knee-high wooden fence.

The easy answer has always been, "because that's not what the developers intended for you to do here." To me, that's always been a poor excuse. When a gameworld so closely mirrors our own in so many ways, not being able to do something that would seem perfectly logical in it is jarring, and it robs some of the fun simply because I can't help but be distracted by the "illogicality" of it all.

It's the same way with something like going prone. Humans have a natural propensity to want to avoid being riddled with bullets or blown into hundreds of little person parts, so granted there's going to be instances when you want to drop down and give yourself a chance to avoid such unpleasantries.

Quake and Unreal tournament didn't have prone, but it worked because of the over-the-top, blink-and-you'll-miss-it nature of the action. It's hard to get too wrapped up in not being able to go prone when you're running around a gothic castle in low gravity wearing a 800 pound space suit while shooting people with a gun that fires blobs of explosive radioactive goo and an announcer is yelling out "SUCK IT DOWN!" or "WICKED SICK!!" every 20 seconds.

It's a little different in a real world shooter, even one with the fast pace they're going for here. Other Battlefield games have had prone and I don't ever remember it slowing the game down any. It certainly didn't keep me from being perforated with lead every 8 seconds or so...

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 00:34.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

51. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 23:53 xXBatmanXx

FOr those upset about toggle crouch, there are fixes for that, just have to look around....  

50. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 21:01 Abstract

maleitch wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 15:34:

Finally you are reason they have these cheesy, childish ADD-inspired upgrades/achievements.

As someone who actually has ADD I get so tired of seeing ignorant people spouting nonsense about ADD. And for the record, my favorite games are the like of Homeworld, Civilization, Neverwinter Nights, and Disciples II. I dont think that the RPG elements are cheesy and they do not cater to individuals who have a limited attention span. But if you are going to talk about a mental illness at least read up about it before you post something.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2010, 21:07.

49. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 20:49 Kevin Lowe

Grendle wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 19:15:
The game players should just be spheres. And instead of a map, make it a maze. Reduce it down to be very minimal. You can't lean or go prone in a sphere. The game wouldn't be balanced for it.
That's called Faceball 2000, and it came out for the Game Boy in the '90s.

48. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 19:15 Grendle

The game players should just be spheres. And instead of a map, make it a maze. Reduce it down to be very minimal. You can't lean or go prone in a sphere. The game wouldn't be balanced for it.  

47. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 18:01 ^Drag0n^

MattyC--

Don't sweat it...he's trying to use age to legitimize his point of view. A nonsensical argument at best. Most of us here have been around the block long enough to know that age doesn't necessarily equate to wisdom and maturity--a fact that this "gentleman" continues to validate with every post he makes. You know...one of those "world revolves around me and my opinion" types.

I think most of us here appreciate the intricacies of game balance and can reasonably discuss it (well, most of the time... Dunce ).

^D^

(grammar edit)

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 2010, 23:47.

46. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 17:46 MattyC

@maleitch ok there angry old man. Don't buy these crazy new age games with their tom foolery and stick to your classics if 'kids' anger you so much.  

45. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 16:47 Sepharo

The first thing I do if I'm playing defense is hop in a mounted gun and knock down all the trees and fences where the advancing army can hide as long as they don't benefit my team.  

44. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 16:41 Tumbler

destructible detailed enviroment.

Your comment made me think about how much I love knocking down snow covered trees in this game. They really did an amazing job on the snow maps. The "smoke" from explosions on the ground and trees falling makes it look like snow is filling the air for a second when something falls down or gets blown up. They did this on the desert map from the first beta as well but it wasn't nearly as effective as the cloud of white that hangs around after you knock down a tree...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

43. Re: Stop Asking for BFBC2 Prone Feb 1, 2010, 16:21 Sepharo

Hey don't get me wrong I hate the compromises made for the console and DLC greed as much as the next guy, but lack prone is one of the few things they did get right. It just wouldn't fit in this type of destructible detailed enviroment.  

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo